1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN - Steve Nash wins MVP (YES!)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, May 6, 2005.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

By last year I'm assuming you're referring to the Suns. But the Suns have made a lot more changes than just Nash since last season. Quentin, Steven Hunter, Jim Jackson, McCarty, and a full season of development by Joe Johnson and Stoudemire. Amare, for instance, could not hit that 15ft jumpshot last year. This year he can't miss. But the most important changes to me are the new coach who has implemented the non-stop fastbreak offense and the league's sudden adjustment in how games have been officiated this year to the benefit of teams like Phoenix, Seattle, Washington, etc. (no handchecking, fewer charging calls, letting teams get away with murder on their post defense). Nash, to me, is getting all the credit and the MVP award for the Suns record just because he was the most high profile change that took place.

Regarding Shaq, whether you think he's the best or second-best on his team, I am sure coaches stay up at nite late trying to figure out how to contain him a lot more than they ever do for Wade :p

2. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll tell you what Steve Nash is. He is a poor man's Mark Price. The guy is not even in the same class as John Stockton. As much as I hate him, the guy was a true MVP caliber player. He effected the game on both the offensive and defensive end.

Steve Nash is a one trick pony. You cannot be an MVP when you are a complete liability on the defensive end. That's half the game right there. A designated hitter just won the MVP. I just can't believe it.

Where are the days when a Mark Price or a John Stockton wouldn't have even finished in the top 10 in voting? Before this season, Nash couldn't crack the top 14 in voting. Nash is half the player that Price and Stockton were. And he basically wins the MVP having the same season he's had for the last 5 seasons. And I will tell you what that season is. It's a top 5 to top 10 point guard season. NOT THE MVP OF THE LEAGUE!

3. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

I assume we all agree that Amare + Marion >> Q, Hunter and JJ, right? Do you seriously think that Q + Hunter + JJ made 62 wins for the Suns? Do you seriously think those couple of jumpers Amare added put them on top? It's NBA, if you are given open looks over and over and over again, you will hit them. What's more important? Open looks! Who would give you that? A good pure PG - Nash! He's the difference maker, and he makes them all better, and he makes them a top team. He IS the most valuable player.

As for Shaq, Miami was 4th seeded last year with Wade. This year, Shaq made Wade even better, but look at the games, the stats, and contribution, and the devotion to the game, Wade is ahead of Shaq in each aspect. Who's more valuable to Miami? Shaq or Wade? If Shaq can't be MVP in Miami, how could he be MVP in the league?

4. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Nash won THIS year's MVP, therefore he's not competing with Stockton, MJ, Malone, or Shaq in their primes. He's competing with the performance and impact of other guys in this season.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I concur.

6. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

You can't be serious.

7. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Seriously, i really cant tell you anyone else that shoulda got it. Even tho, i really dont think that nash shoulda got it either.

i guess its the best of the average.

8. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Good Lord, people, it's a piece of hardware. Even TV people get to vote on it ...

9. 4cwebb

4cwebb Contributing Member

As others have pointed out, I think the thing that damaged Shaq's MVP case was the fact that this was his second worst statistical year in his career from a scoring perspective, and he didn't dominate the glass as he could have. It seems pretty obvious to most that he wasn't putting forth his best effort each and every night this season as he didn't really need to do so for the Heat to have the best record in the East.

Nash, on the other hand, had arguably his best season in the NBA, even if he didn't score nearly as much as his averages over the past few seasons with the Mavs. His assist numbers were significantly higher than anyone has averaged in the league in the past 5 years or so (I think you have to go back to Mark Jackson in the late 90s to find a player that averaged over 11 apg). And, he revitalized the Suns with his arrival.

Now, those who point out that Stockton never won with similar numbers make a solid point, but if you pull up Jordan's numbers from those years, I think you'd find that there were worthier candidates on teams that had won just as many games as Stockton's Jazz.

Basically, the stars aligned to allow the voters to award Nash the MVP this season. Probably won't happen again. I wouldn't mind seeing the Suns win it all to back up the vote, though.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Duncan should have won it. *runs for cover*

11. Ownage

Ownage Member

Some people need to stop hating. People should download some suns game, and see how good nash is. And then u will see how good the suns are too. Going from a team, with one of the worst records in the league, to the best record in the leauge. Somone had to get it from the suns. There a great team to watch. So losen up and congrats Nash, stop hating.

12. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

In the current league, with the current rules and referees, Nash is clearly the MVP.

Defense doesn't matter, because it's so hard to guard a great perimeter player without hand-checking that the difference between Nash and a good perimeter defender has been minimized this year.

In a league without zones (or without an anti-big-man bias, as some would put it), Shaq and Yao and Duncan would have a bigger impact than Nash on the game.

HOWEVER - the current ruleset favors the perimeter game - that's why Nash and Iverson and TMac and Arenas and Wade and LeBron blew up and the big men took a step back.

You can't try to argue that Nash only shot a great percentage from the field because he was selective - look at JKidd's shooting %! The only reason Kidd didn't win an MVP is because they didn't want to give it to a guy who shot 39% on open jump shots.

Nash had a huge impact on the Suns AND he had good stats AND he is on what looked like the best team in the regular season.

MVP

Go Canada, eh!

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What was Miami's record when Shaq wasn't playing?

BTW, I concur with people who said Stockton should have won the award instead of Malone. Scoring have been playing a big role in MVP consideration. I believe Stockton and Kidd got snub because they weren't volume scorers.

Whether Nash really deserves it I'm not sure. But I'm glad a pass-first guy finally wins it since Magic Johnson's days.

14. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

I am dying for the Rockets to play the Suns in the 2nd round just so you could see how overrated Nash is. When Wesley is all over his grill, he will be neutralized. They are just lucky enough that they played Memphis which has a crappy PG with no D.

Just wait and see, and you will be surprised how "defense" still matters

15. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Come on, you know it's not about the trophy. It's about what it represents.

16. New Jack

New Jack Member

Steve Nash doesn't deserve the MVP award any more than someone like Ben Wallace.

He only plays on one side of the court, just like Wallace. He's completely dependent on Amare, Marion, Q, and Johnson for his success. I'm sorry, but assists are a secondary statistic, just like rebounding. A player's scoring average should at the very least be the highest on their team to be considered an MVP.

17. leehoang

leehoang Member

Fu*k Steve Nash.

18. Rocket104

Rocket104 Contributing Member

RM95's posts are pretty much what you need to know. Brilliantly said.

tiger - get off it man, you obviously have something for Shaq / against Nash. You're saying the same thing over and over and over and over and over again. I think we got it.

MVP = most valuable to team? Then compare the records last year with this year.

MVP = most valuable to league? Then compare the direction the league has taken this year and find a *successful* player who fits the new style.

19. waran007

waran007 Member

Duncan obviously has been suffering from the same disadvantage in the eyes of voters as Shaq used to back in his prime. If they gave him the award this year, they could rationalize giving him it every single season, which they'd never do. Also, he did miss some games, but only 6 more than Shaq and 9 more than Nash.

20. bu2002

bu2002 Contributing Member

"Come on, you know it's not about the trophy. It's about what it represents."

Couldn't agree more, i posted this on another message board:

per nba.com, the history of the MVP award winners:

1955-56 - Bob Pettit, St. Louis
    1956-57 - Bob Cousy, Boston
    1957-58 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1958-59 - Bob Pettit, St. Louis
    1959-60 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
    1960-61 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1961-62 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1962-63 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1963-64 - Oscar Robertson, Cincinnati
    1964-65 - Bill Russell, Boston
    1965-66 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
    1966-67 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
    1967-68 - Wilt Chamberlain, Philadelphia
    1968-69 - Wes Unseld, Baltimore
    1969-70 - Willis Reed, New York
    1970-71 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
    1971-72 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
    1972-73 - Dave Cowens, Boston
    1973-74 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Milwaukee
    1974-75 - Bob McAdoo, Buffalo
    1975-76 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
    1976-77 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
    1977-78 - Bill Walton, Portland
    1978-79 - Moses Malone, Houston
    1979-80 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Los Angeles
    1980-81 - Julius Erving, Philadelphia
    1981-82 - Moses Malone, Houston
    1982-83 - Moses Malone, Philadelphia
    1983-84 - Larry Bird, Boston
    1984-85 - Larry Bird, Boston
    1985-86 - Larry Bird, Boston
    1986-87 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
    1987-88 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1988-89 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
    1989-90 - Magic Johnson, Los Angeles Lakers
    1990-91 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1991-92 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1992-93 - Charles Barkley, Phoenix
    1993-94 - Hakeem Olajuwon, Houston
    1994-95 - David Robinson, San Antonio
    1995-96 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1996-97 - Karl Malone, Utah
    1997-98 - Michael Jordan, Chicago
    1998-99 - Karl Malone, Utah
    1999-00 - Shaquille O'Neal, Los Angeles Lakers
    2000-01 - Allen Iverson, Philadelphia
    2001-02 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
    2002-03 - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
    2003-04 - Kevin Garnett, Minnesota

Why I disagree with Nash being MVP? To me, it goes beyond "well he was the most valuable to his team for the 2004-05 season, so that's it, he's MVP".....The NBA MVP is the most prestegious individual basketball award given to a player and the highest individual honor a player can receive. If the award itself is put into proper perpective, then personally, i can't look past its historical meaning. Again, re-read that list and look at the names. The MVP has been handed out 49 times with only 27 different winners. It's not an award meant for everybody, otherwise more players would have won the award in its 50 year history. The above players all share certain basic qualites. It's not hard to figure out what those characteristics are. The NBA has taken this award very seriously and in many ways, is different from prior baseball and football MVP winners. Every name on that list has been or will be inducted into the Basketball Hall of Fame. Again, scroll back up and re-read the list of names. It's a pretty elite fraternity.