1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN - Steve Nash wins MVP (YES!)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JumpMan, May 6, 2005.

1. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Worst MVP ever.

A player can't be the most valuable player in the league if he is completely worthless in one whole aspect of the game.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Good points. However, you also have to consider that Iverson is a guy that doesn't mesh well with other superstars, and he is rarely on great teams. One year he made it to the Finals, but he is usually his teams are mired in mediocrity, whereas Nash is the exact opposite.

If I had to choose just one to start my team with, I think I'd take Nash. I'd certainly take Nash if I could choose one to add to the Rockets.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i thought shaq had the award wrapped up. if you look at mvp as technically most valuable player than i guess it's hard to argue. phoenix had the best record in the league and they'd be a marginal playoff team without nash.

if you look at the award as best player than there's a number of guys i'd choose before him.

i think nash deserves it but i'm gonna agree with those who think it sounds kind of weird. unless phoenix starts somekind of dynasty(i hope not) hes not making the hall of fame and he's definitely the last person i'm picking out of that list of previous winners. it has to be taken into account that he plays absoultely zero defense as well. he took advantage of a season when there was no guy who clearly deserved it.

4. terse

terse Member

Incidentally, the Nashless Suns' 2-5 record this year is almost identical to their winning percentage of last year. So there is some reason to believe that without Nash the Suns would have been a sucky 30-win team again, Amare or no Amare. So we can be pretty sure that Nash has been the difference maker on that team.

And what a difference! With Nash, the Suns won 62 games. Nash has had a far bigger impact on the Suns than Shaq has had on the Heat, and that is why I believe Nash is deserving of the MVP.

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

If you take 10 shots a game, you are bound to shoot well, because you are highly selective with your shots. If you think Iverson can't somehow "pass" and involve his teammates then you haven't been watching the playoffs this year, or in the past when he carried his team to the finals against the Lakers. The kid has been making the playoffs with little/no help year after year. Let's put Nash on a team of scrubs and see how he does :rolleyes"

I am sorry, I just can't stop laughing that you are comparing Steve freakin' Nash to AI

LOL:D :D :D , thanks for the comedy! If you really think Nash is better, then please give me some of that stuff you are smoking.

6. bu2002

bu2002 Contributing Member

" Nash has had a far bigger impact on the Suns than Shaq has had on the Heat, and that is why I believe Nash is deserving of the MVP."

Again, someone needs to please answer this question:

Why did the mavericks win over 50 games without Steve Nash, and why are the lakers one of the 10 worst teams in basketball without Shaq? Which player was the more difficult to replace?

7. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the Suns were 2-5 without Nash. Big deal. It's tough to make in season adjustments when your offense is predicated on you setting the tempo. Think back to the 2001-2002 season when Francis missed a bunch of games. With him, the Rockets are historically a 43-45 win team. Without him, the Rockets that season were like lost 22 of 25. I think over a season they would probably still be a playoff team with the maturation of Joe Johnson, addition of Quentin Richardson, and excellence of Amare and Shawn.

Tiger made a good point about Nick Van Exel being the better point guard in the playoffs for the Mavs. The only thing I remember about Steve Nash is that Mike Bibby owned him. That and he couldn't get off a decent last second shot against the Kings of all teams.

Put Steve Nash on a bad team, and they will still be a bad team. Put McGrady, Shaq, or even Jason Kidd (of a few seasons ago) on a bad team and they become playoff bound. This award was a terrible case of a trendy midseason pick coming to fruition.

And whoever mentioned Steve Nash being a better player than Allen Iverson, please. Take Allen Iverson from every single one of his 76ers teams, and all of those teams would never had made it to the playoffs. Take Steve Nash from his former Suns teams (from earlier in his career with Jason Kidd and McDyess), the Mavs' teams, and his currents Suns team, and they all still make the playoffs.

8. tigermission1

:eek:

That post right there makes me know that there is no point in having a debate with you on this. You are SOOOO far off that you are hallucinating right now:rolleyes:

Please enlighten me as to when was the last time Iverson played with a "superstar", and don't tell me "one knee" Webber, because Webber is barely an above average player with the injuries he has, and even when healthy he is not a "superstar".

The fact that he is "rarely on good teams" has everything to do with Philly management not getting him the help needed year after year, they are satisfied enough with the fact that the guy puts butts in the seats and is only the most popular player Philly has ever known (his market value is very high, Philly fans were ready to start a riot when they heard rumors that he might be traded).

Nash's teams have not been "mired in medicrity" (I can't believe I am actually explaining this to you:rolleyes: ) considering he was only on a LOADED Dallas team and now on a LOADED Suns team. Let's just say Iverson would have 5 rings now if he played on those type of teams.

I would take Nash too to add him to the Rockets, but no because he is a BETTER player, but rather because he "fits" the team's mold, since we already have scorers in T-Mac and Yao, and need a pure PG.

However, if I was starting a franchise, it ain't even CLOSE! The two players are not even in the same league, I would take AI ten times over.

BTW, I thought the MVP award this year should be between Shaq or AI, since they are respectively the best front court and backcourt players this season. AI has been a monster, nothing short of that.

AI or Nash? LOL!:D

9. Mr. Clutch

You must be on of those guys who would put Steve Francis as one of the best players because he can dunk and score on anyone. Obviously, there are plenty of people smoking what I am smoking because Nash has won the MVP!

If you put Nash with scrubs I bet he will still shoot 50% with 10 assists. Put Iverson with All-Stars and he will continue to shoot 40% and ballhog and put up ill advised shots.

Who would you rather add to the Rockets, Nash or Iverson? Who would you rather start a team with?

10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Nash is in his early 30s (31?). His best years are now and probably next year, but that's it. He'll be another MVP who won't win it all...

11. tigermission1

Couldn't say it better myself...

LOL! Sorry, I am still laughing at the idea of a non-superstar winning the MVP award.

I have an idea: someone should just for the fun of it ask every single GM in the league if they would pick Nash over any of the following players:

Iverson, McGrady, Kobe, Lebron, Wade, Shaq, Yao, Amare, Dirk, Francis, Duncan, Garnett, Carter, and bunch of other players (name your own player here).

There are at least 20 players in the league who are better than Nash.

Yah well, as I said, media hype creates players and destroys them at will. The MVP award has lost much of its meaning after this travesty

12. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

Nash may be the worst MVP ever, but he's at least as deserving
    as Shaq, the only other possible candidate. Shaq has a subpar
    season by his own standard, and his team plays well without him.
    (yes Wade is the co-MVP of Heats, and plays probably a more
    important role than Shaq in the regular season).

About the time the league to recognize elite PGs. Suns does
    has talent, but without Nash the floor general, they would be
    a borderline playoff team at best.

13. tigermission1

Francis, as bone-headed as he is, is definitely a better player than Nash. SF3 is a scorer, a 2 guard, not a PG (although he plays one).

Again, Nash has NEVER EVER played on a team without superstars on his squad. When he does (if he ever does) then come and talk. You can't pass to someone who can't score. You can't average 11 assists a game unless you have teammates that shoot (combined) lights out.

He has never even been the best player on his own squad. Need I say more?:rolleyes:

I will grant you this: from the pure PGs playing in the league today, Nash would be 2nd on my list (I would still take a healthy Kidd over him easily)

14. Mr. Clutch

You can keep putting up smilies and saying "LOL" but the fact is Nash THE leader of a high seeded team and winning the MVP award while your boy is eating popcorn on the couch the rest of the playoffs.

You also fail to point out that Iverson has been playing in the mediocre Eastern division yet he can barely lead his team to a .500 record! LOL! Of course, the fact that AI is on mediocre teams isn't his fault. It's someone ELSE's fault. SURE!

By the way, Phoenix was mired in medicority, guess who changed all that? Lets say Iverson went to Phoenix instead of Nash, where do you think they would be?

If I was starting a franchise, I'd want someone who knows how to play his position to perfection and will fit beautifully with his teammates. Iverson creates almost as many problems as he solves.

15. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Shaq creates more open shots for his teammates than Nash does.

Shaq has an impact on the defensive end.

I just don't understand, I can't see it even being close.

16. waran007

waran007 Member

One thing I've noticed is that people forget that the Suns added TWO starters this year to see this improvement occur. Q Rich isn't nearly as important to the Suns' successes as Nash, but he isn't chopped liver either. In the end, it was an odd year, where Shaq's lack of numbers turned off many voters (despite his immeasurable impact) and that left the race with no clear favorite. If Duncan had been hurt in 2002 like he has been this year, Kidd would have won one also. Nonetheless, it saddens me that defensive skills were a complete non-issue in the voting.

17. Mr. Clutch

Wow, Steve Francis better than Nash? Unbelievable! That tells me all I need to know!

It's ironic that you are saying the Suns make Nash good. Weren't you one of the people that said the only reason Amare put up such great stats was because of Nash? Nash makes other people great, period. There is no doubt about that. Iverson makes people stand around and watch.

Sure, I'd take Kidd over Nash too, but not Iverson. I'd take Kidd over Iverson also, of course.

18. Mr. Clutch

I would have voted for Shaq first, Nash second.

19. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I don't see how anybody can argue Shaq this year, of all years. All of his stats are down. He may be on a number one team, but that team is in the weak ass East and was already a 4 seed the year before. Nash was added to a a team that finished 13th overall team and this year they are number 1, in the much more competative West.

20. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

I watched quite a few Heat Games. They are not much better
    than Rockets in terms of getting their center involved. Besides,
    Just as Yao, Shaq is often used as a decoy, and Heat plays
    very well when Shaq is on the bench. In fact, similar to Rockets,
    they often make runs when Doleac /Mouning replaces Shaq.