1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[ESPN] Sixers Getting in Position to Offer Brand Massive Contract

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by rua2006, Jul 8, 2008.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I like Brand because he works hard, the only problem I have is I think he's a black hole, and therefore really not a "max player"

2. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

76ers making deal with Wolves to create more salary cap space

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/07/08/timberwolves.sixers.trade.ap/index.html

I have a feeling the 76ers will get the short end of the stick.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Carney AND a future #1 for nothing? The Rockets still have that $2+ million trade exception, don't they?

4. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Minnesota got a gift from Philly, wow.

Anyways, I hope Brand leaves, but if I were in his position I would decide to stay since I would be loyal to the clippers for going out and signing someone.

5. rz04

rz04 Member

6. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Seriously, what is going on? It's not like a first-rounder from the Sixers is shaping up to be worthless either. In fact, far from it unless they get Brand.

McHale continues to make sound move after sound move.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

According to 82games.com Thaddeus Young played over 80% of his minutes at PF last year. He took 19 threes. In fact, according to hotspots, 327 of his 490 shot attempts were within 5 feet of the basket.

Can Young really be a small forward? Not that it doesn't hurt to have 2 good PF's, but for a player who really came on in the later half of the season, you'd think Young should get more PT at PF than less.

Now, of course Brand or Josh Smith make the Sixers much better much sooner.

If you really really hated Alston, you could try a trade like

Battier, Alston, Head, Hayes
    for
    Young, Willie Green, Andre Miller, draft pick

then later during the season try and trade Bobby Jackson, draft picks and either a re-signed Landry or Young to the Kings for Artest, leaving you with

Andre Miller, T-Mac, Ron Artest, Scola, Yao and a bench of Willie Green, Young/Landry (whoever is left), Brooks, Deke, Novak and whoever you else you sign this offseason (Brent Barry?).

Anyway, probably giving up too much in that trade, but this type of news typically requires some kind of random rockets trade proposal, so there it is!

8. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Yes, he is a natural 3. The Sixers big men didn't have much offensive firepower last season so Mo Cheeks went small and used Young at the 4. Part of the reason they are putting it all on the table for Brand is so they can solidify Young at the 3 spot.

It just seems unrealistic right now. Especially after Brand specifically asked the Clippers to sign Baron Davis, so he is well aware his contract won't be as maxed out as it could be. Then again, I laughed at all the people who said we were getting McGrady for Francis, Mobley and Cato so what do I know.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think its a ploy to get the Clippers to find a way to create a bigger contract. Couldn't they do the same exact type of trade the 76ers just pulled? I assume so, although I haven't looked at the contracts.

10. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

Ahaha, what the heck is wrong with the Sixers management? No way that Brand goes there.