1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rox possibly looking for a S&T for Walker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigboymumu, Jul 5, 2005.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

You can't be serious.

2. mogrod

mogrod Contributing Member

Yea, you would be right. ;)

3. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

OK people, lets say money is not a factor at all. What is a bigger upgrade:

Going from Wesley to Mobley at the starting SG

or

Going from Howard to Walker at the starting PG

??

Of course, this is considering Howard's heart complications aren't serious. It's basically better just to go after Mobley than to go after Walker. S&T for Walker with Wesley...sure I'll go for that. But throwing in 1st rounder should be out of the question.

People also love posting up his career 18/9/4.5 assists numbers. Why don't you put up his FG%, FT%, and TO per game as well?

4. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i rather have cat back than toine. at least cat can shoot and defend, while 'toine can........well...shoot...shoot A LOT. no thanks on walker.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

If we get Walker, as Doc Rocket would say, this team is going to be dangerous. So far JVG has gotten through to most (if not all) players and what you have to do to win big in this league. Walker at the four gives us a mobile PF, who can stretch the defense, rebound, and get up and down the floor. Yes, he won't be able to guard Duncan or Garnett down low -- but who can?

Teams will have to match up with US, instead of the other way around. Walker would be a huge addition for us, both from defensive and offensive standpoints. He's also capable of getting his own shot off, penetrating and dishing -- AKA all things we lose when Tmac rest.

That should be changed to Padgett/Bowen/CW -- Howard was not there in the playoffs, and apparently now his return at all is being questioned. Walker is a HUGE upgrade -- Cat might be subtraction by addition. I'd question Cat's ability to defer to our stars more so than Walker.

6. steddinotayto

I'm sorry but Howard WAS our starting PF until his injury and it's Howard who's basically going to be replaced if Walker comes here. I think that's a fair assessment. And I am pretty sure if Howard was healthy for the Playoffs, we'd have made it past the 1st round easily.

We know what Cat is capable of and not capable of. Can he defer to Yao and Tracy? Well did he NOT play with Dream, Drexler and Barkley? And did he NOT take the wingman position when Francis came in? Bottom line: Mobley is an known quantity in our environment. People who think Walker will go back to the way he played in Dallas are delusional. He was forced to be there (i.e. got traded) and the only way he could stay on the floor was to defer. I wonder if y'all quickly forgot how it was Walker that was pouting about playing time while Antawn Jamison just shut up and took whatever he could get. Remember THAT about Walker and tell me if Walker is all that great.

7. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

h

I disagree. We need a much needed upgrade on PF position. And I think Walker is a much better player than Cat. You need to realize that there's no way Cat is coming back to Houston. He's still upset about his trade to Orlando.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

My point is we don't know if Howard will be back next season (condition rumor) or if he'll ever be able to be back at the level he was playing at. Howard was an inconsistent rebounder -- JVG drilled it into him, when we rebound, we win. Walker is a better rebounder than Howard, a better offensive player, and is able to guard the "new generation" of 4's that are coming up.

He played with them when he was a rookie. He wanted the first pick traded for Lamar Odom. "Can you imagine me, stevie and Lamar running the break?" There's a reason Cat was traded from Orlando, and a reason Sacramento doesn't want him back. We all know Cat is better than Wesley -- but IMO it would be subtraction by addition. At least Walker has demonstrated he can improve his IQ as he gets older (shot selection) -- I haven't seen Cat much since he's left, but from the media I'd assume he still takes the same ill-advised shots.

9. steddinotayto

Reason why he was traded is because of their GM's imcompetence. And reason why Sactown can't get him back is because he opted out of his contract. I DO know what you're saying thought. Really I do. But if we are going to believe everything from the media, then we might as well ship Yao off because "he's soft and the next coming of Shawn Bradley" and throw Tracy out because "he's a selfish player that don't want to win and can't play defense". And Walker is a PF that tries to masquerade himself as some kind of protype combo PG/PF who don't fair any better with his 4.5 apg when you factor in the 3-4 TOs a game he commits. And I highly doubt he'll be down in the key with Yao to get the offensive rebound because he'll be coasting along the 3 point line.

10. ucansee2020

ucansee2020 Contributing Member

Getting Mobley back is a VERY bad idea. Mobley is way overrated by some of the posters here. Mobley thinks of himself as a all -star player. He is a ball hog and often takes bad shots. Haven't you seen enough of Mobley going into iso play and waving Yao off? Have you realized he's almost 30 already?!. I don't think he'll fit with this team at all. Plus I don't think he'll want to play for JVG again. Walker is a much better player than Mobley.

11. micah1j

micah1j Member

:rolleyes:

12. steddinotayto

Getting Walker is a VERY bad idea. Walker is way overrated by some of the posters here. Walker thinks of himself as the all-star player of old. He is a ball hog and often takes bad shots. Haven't you seen enough of Walker jacking up shot after shot while he should be in the paint doing a PF's job? Have you realized that he's almost 30 already?!. I dont' think he'll fit wiht this team at all. Plus I don't think he'll want to be the reason why JVG will have to go under the knife for a quadruple bypass surgery. Walker is a much worse player than Mobley.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

What point are you trying to make w/ that quote? It was said more than 4 years ago and it really has no relevance to today. No one knew how Yao was going to turn out and he just stated his opinion. Mobley has played w/ Barkley, Dream, and Pip, he played 3rd option for Yao/SF and I have never heard him complain about it.

When has Walker demonstrated he can improve his IQ? How has the media portrayed Mobley as still taking ill-advised shots?

I'm not trying to put down Walker, I actually think he would be a good addition, but the truth is that he is a high volume shooter. He takes a lot of shots and some of them are bad, hopfully JVG could help him w/ that if we get him.

Cuttino is no different, he had no trouble conforming to JVG's system. He may have complained about it a little, but he played very well under him.

14. blabla

blabla Contributing Member

I have to say it is Walker who are underrated by many posters here.

15. blabla

blabla Contributing Member

If Cat can conform to JVG's system, why do not you believe Walker can do it too? I think Walker's basketball IQ is higher than Cat's.

16. steddinotayto

In what way?

The way he turns over the ball just as much as his "great passing skills" gets him assists?

The way he, at one point in time, averaged 8 3pt FG attempts PER game in ONE season?

The way he pouted about playing time in Dallas and only became a contributor after Nelson benched him? (And for the record, he only did this is because he got traded there. You think he's going to do that here, after signing a brand new contract, you are out of your mind)

The way he basically got kicked out of Boston because of his attitude? (and he's DAMN lucky that he got back to Boston because that saved his career)

Seriously, I'd take a shot at Walker for MLE on a two/three year contract. But now we're talking about signing and trading for the guy and some even are willing to say "you know what? we should put in a FIRST rounder too". This is freaking crazy.

17. steddinotayto

His shoulder shimmy IQ is CERTAINLY higher than Mobley's

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I never said Walker wouldn't be able to. I said he is a high volume shooter that does take bad shots, I also said that hopefully JVG would be able to help him with this.

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

As Deion says, "I'LL TAKE BOTH!"

20. New Jack

New Jack Member

Cat is much more accustomed to being a 3rd option than Walker. He's always been the 2nd or 3rd fiddle on his team and has never needed to dominate the ball to be effective on offense. Cat was a much better fit for Van Gundy's system than Walker.

Walker has been the #1 option his entire career. He's had the offense run through him his entire career. He's used to being the man on offense, always having the ball in his hands, and taking whatever shot he wants to take. He's never had to play in a strict system like Van Gundy's. If he comes here, he'll become a distant 3rd option. I don't think people here realize what a huge adjustment that is. It may take several seasons before he's comfortable in his role here.