1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Rox possibly looking for a S&T for Walker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigboymumu, Jul 5, 2005.

1. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

That's interesting. But again, you guys are selling CD and JVG short.

If Toine is asking to come here...he knows JVG's reputation.

JVG know's Toine's reputation too. JVG will rip out Toine's heart and eat it if he disobeys him...Toine knows it and JVG knows it. If JVG approves this deal, then I'm satisfied everybody is on the same page.

2. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

The guy doesn't play defense, chokes under pressure, can't shoot(fts, 3pters..) ... Howard is much better!

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I agree. Cat for the MLE is a steal. Do you think he would go to Denver over Houston if we both offered the same deal?

4. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

They said TMac couldn't play defense either. Besides, Rox are already a top rated defensive team. Lack of offense was a much bigger problem.

Chokes? He lives for the big shot and has come up big before. I'm sure he isn't 100% but who is?

Can't shoot? He's a scorer! Yes, not a pure shooter...but he IS a scorer and you are just being biased if you disagree with that.

Misses FT's? Fine, don't run plays for him at the end...run them, rightfully, through TMac and Yao. There, that problem is solved.

Howard is better? Fine, then let JHow finish games...if he's playing better. I've got no problem with that. But it would be nice to have a more consistent scorer on our team. We were one of the bottom teams in the league in offense last season...another scorer would make a big difference.

5. Man

Man Contributing Member

Cuttino wants more than MLE doesn't he?

If we can get Antoine Walker in a Sign & Trade for Weatherspoon and a 1st round and Wesley or something..HECK YES. He's still a very good player..and I think he understands what needs to be done.

And then we have full MLE to go after SG/SF!!! Finley!!! or somebody else.

Exciting :)

6. micah1j

micah1j Member

One thing I found funny reading a Boston board is one guy said Walker is better than Howard but our team would be worse with Walker! :eek:

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Isn't he after a long term contract? At 30, he doesn't have much time before his game starts to go.

8. Scarface

Scarface Supremely FocASSed
    Supporting Member

My thoughts exactly Bigboy... I would love to have Cat back. While were at it when does Cato's contract expire?

9. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I never talked to him about Denver. But, I know he loves it here. Wesley to Sac town, Cat to H town would be a great move.

Can you imagine what could happen?

Sura
    Cat
    Tmac
    Howard
    Yao

Cat can defend three positions. Tmac can defend three positons. We would have long range bombers. Speed, athleticism, determination, heart, ft shooting. Heck, I would love to throw that back in Weisbrod's face. Tmac for Francis and Cato is crazy.

We would match up well against the Spurs, Mavs, and Suns.
    Sura/Parker/Terry/Nash
    Cat/Manu/Stack/Johnson
    Tmac/Bowen/Howard/Marion
    Howard/Duncan/Dirk/Stoudemire
    Yao/Nazr/Dampier/Thomas

I would go to battle with the aforementioned team any day.

One last thing, I can't stand Walker. :confused: I dont understand why we would want him?.?!

10. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I am officially off the Antoine Walker bandwagon, until I hear otherwise about his attitude and priorities. Those quotes are eye-opening. He really is the second coming of Steve Francis (in a bad way). I think the point about efficiency is important. Everything I've heard about him from Celtics fans is that he is inefficient, turnover prone, and that you don't want him taking shots away from the basket.

I appreciate that there's a chance with Walker that he could be high-reward. But there's nothing in his history so far that suggests that. Screw a S&T for more than the MLE, especially if it's for more than three years. I'm not going to pay a premium when the risk is so high.

If we can't get anyone else and he's willing to sign for the MLE, I'd consider it, but as of now, Walker is last on my priority list of acquirable free agents. I'll take SAR, Swift, Marshall, Simmons, or Cuttino with the MLE before Walker.

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't mind pulling a deal for Walker, and I certainly wouldn't mind signing Cuttino back, but not BOTH. They are both more offense oriented, and we really don't need 4 guys that "need the ball in their hands".

If I had to pick between the two, I'd say Mobley. I still believe he'd be a great fit for our current team if we could find a PF to be primarily a rebounder/defender. It'd be nice if we could work a deal for Dalembert, but the chances of that are slim to none.

12. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

I guess now is the time to justify why I don't want Walker here. All the head problems, lousy shooting, cancer, selfishness I won't even mention. Y'all already got it sufficiently covered. But here is the thing, why would we SnT him? I suspect it is because he'll ask for more than the MLE.

Think about this, with Head, Sura, James (if we don't trade him) and Moochie, I doubt we'll spend the MLE on a PG, unless you can unload 2 to 3 of the above. The other obvious weakness that we have is at the 4. If we bring Walker I doubt we'll bring another 4, that would be really redundant. I'd rather choke than signing Walker for more than the MLE when we could just sign somebody else and avoid all of his problems.

One thing I see get thrown around a lot lately is Bobby Simmons. Not sure if there is anything legit to that but, I REALLY REALLY doubt we could sign him for the MLE. So here is the way I look at it:

1. We don't need the MLE for a 1.
    2. We can sign a 4 with the MLE (and the best part) WITHOUT Walker
    3. We ain't gettin' Simmons.

I say screw Walker and just do point 2 above.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

I vote NO on the Walker idea, just not a fit. I like the Finley idea though.

14. JamesC

JamesC Member

Like many others have said, Walker dosent seem to be the best fit for this team, but if and thats a big if, he can buy into JVG's philosophy, your looking at a very scary team next year. He would be a legit 3rd option on this team. Double team Yao if you want to, Walker would burn you everytime. Of course thats if he becomes a rocket.

15. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

it was said earlier by another poster and bears repeating...

if the rockets had Walker last season, they would have beaten Dallas -

Walker is a head case, but getting him would be similar to adding Barkley in the 90's - he is the rebounder that the team needs and he can score. IF (and I say IF) he can play as a third wheel - then its a no brainer deal for the Rockets... sorry kids I don't like him either, but the guy can ball - he is a deadly third option.

The problems he had in Dallas were based on the fact that he was playing out of position with Dirk and Finley - he is a power forward first

... my only question would be - if you get WAlker, why do you have Howard. Only one of them can give you 35 minutes a night ... :confused:

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Mobley for the MLE...not sure. He is a good shooter and he plays hard, but he has the basketball IQ of a carrot. The guy has no smarts whatsoever and drove JVG crazy...

17. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

I dont agree with that. Walker would not of made a difference last year against the Mavs. The Cat probably would of though.

18. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Are saying we were better off with Bowen and Padgett than we would be with Walker?

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

Has JVG ever used an offensive play where Yao is out on the perimeter? Maybe Toine isn't such a bad idea?

20. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

I can't wait to see Walker shooting 15 times a game, and all of you guys yelling "give the damn ball to Yao". It will be fun.