1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Radical changes in store for USA men's hoops

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ChrisP, Apr 27, 2005.

1. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

Given the performance and direction of USA Basketball lately, this can only help...

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/news/story?id=2048026

Colangelo given control, wants two-year commitment
    Associated Press

PHOENIX -- Jerry Colangelo has been given total control of the U.S. men's Olympic basketball program and has promised radical changes in an effort to restore the United States to international prominence in the sport.

The system of a handful of NBA stars gathering for a few weeks before the competition will be abandoned, said Colangelo, the chairman and CEO of the Phoenix Suns who has been involved in basketball for 50 years, 39 of them in the professional ranks.

"It's going to be drastically different," Colangelo said Wednesday at a news conference, "and I say that because you know stars do not necessarily make a great team."

The 10-member committee that selected the teams has been disbanded, and Colangelo alone will name the players and coaches. He said he wants them to commit to the team for two years leading up to the 2006 world championships and 2008 Beijing Olympics.

"The international game is a lot different game than people truly recognize," Colangelo said. "It's more than just the trapezoid lane compared to our line. It's a different game. As you prepare a team, you need players who can shoot the ball, pass the ball, understand the game, as much as you need players who are just athletic."

The president of USA Basketball, Val Ackerman, said that the organization felt significant changes in the structure of its senior men's team were necessary after it finished sixth at the 2002 world championships in Indianapolis, then won only the bronze medal at the Athens Olympics. Before Athens, the United States had won every Olympic basketball gold medal since the NBA "Dream Team" of Barcelona in 1992.

"The current reality, the new normal if you will, is that the dominance that the United States has enjoyed, and which we continue to aspire to, is simply much harder to achieve," she said, "and it can no longer be taken for granted."

The committee that selected the 2004 team was one of the problems, she said.

"Simply put, it was too many cooks in the kitchen," said Jim Tooley, USA Basketball executive director.

The 65-year-old Colangelo immediately became the obvious candidate to take over, Ackerman said.

He came to Arizona 37 years ago as general manager of the expansion Phoenix Suns. Later he put together a group to buy the franchise, and just last year sold it to businessman Robert Sarver. A member of the basketball Hall of Fame, Colangelo is chairman of the NBA board of governors. He was appointed by NBA Commissioner David Stern to head a committee in 2000-01 that examined the state of the game and made rule changes.

Colangelo also brought major league baseball to Arizona before leaving the Diamondbacks a year ago in a dispute with the new owners.

College players will be considered along with NBA players for the new team.

"We certainly want to change the perception that this thing is a locked-in deal for a handful of star players to participate in," he said. "No, that's not the case. I really like the idea of tryouts, I like the idea of opening the process up. We want people to feel that it's all-inclusive. This is not a fraternity, far from it."

As for selecting a coach, Colangelo said, "One of the things that I'm very, very sure of is those who have a true understanding of the international game I think have an edge. It's very, very important to understand it's a different game."

One coach who fits that description is the Suns' Mike D'Antoni, a star point guard and later a highly successful coach in Italy whose team had the NBA's best record this season.

Colangelo said he will appoint a small advisory group, and hopes to have it in place by early next month. But he alone will have the final say on the team's makeup. Character, he said, will be a major part of the selection.

"The perception of our athletes around the world is one that I'm very sensitive to," he said. "The kind of people I want wearing a USA uniform are those we can take some pride in. I want good people and high character. I think that's very, very important."

He also wants former Olympic players and coaches to be part of the process of building the new U.S. team.

"I have relationships with players, coaches and people within the business," Colangelo said. "I'm looking for people who share the same kind of passion I do. It's as simple as that, and there are plenty of them out there. Some of them may not have the star recognition that we're accustomed to in the past, but that's all right."

Colangelo wants the same coach and virtually the same team for the 2006 worlds and the 2008 Olympics. He plans to meet one-on-one with prospective players to explain his ideas and the commitment he believes is necessary.

USA Basketball has no qualms about giving one person so much authority of its highest-profile team, Ackerman said.

"We're actually kind of relieved to be putting it in his good hands," she said.

2. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

am i the only one who felt like barfing reading the article?

and why is colangelo so damn powerful. wasn't he on the rules committee and the main reason for the zone?

college guys? character (did this last team suffer any from this?)? tryouts? yeah, i'm sure nba stars would love to try out and be told they didn't make it for some college guy (we're trying to encourage the stars to be part of the process, not turn them away). how about get the actual best guys or if you can't at least make them fit. that's about all you need to do.

3. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

you get the best guys in the NBA and guys who have alot of character..screw guys like Carmelo

LeBron
    Tim Duncan
    Kevin Garnett
    McGrady
    Kidd

this team would kill

4. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

I think this is a move in the right direction.

It has been proven in a very big way that having the most talent on the floor won't do it. I agree with his assessment that there's too many cooks in the kitchen.

It's time to beat the euros at their game. We're going to win international rules games with american style basketball played by American stars. In the last olympics and in the world championships before that, we had waaaaaaay more talent and athleticism than any other team. Where did that get us?

We need to put together a TEAM. A team that practices together a LOT and gets used to each other, that wins the way our rocks are winning now- with people who know their roles and who gladly, happily accept them. A team with chemistry and a game plan and knows what to do every time they hit the floor.

Pipe dreams about sending the All-NBA 1st team are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. In the last two tries, we had 1st and second tier stars who were far, far more talented than the competition- who won? We didn't even get medals. We were embarrassed by no-name euros who played excellent team ball together. Lesson learned: slopping together a team of incredibly talented guys with three or four weeks of practice will not get us a winning team.

International rules games emphasize team ball over individual talent. NBA game is the other way around. Now, of course you have to have talented individuals to win internationally, and of course you have to play as a team to win in the NBA. I'm saying that each style emphasizes one more than the other.

Colangelo has a great idea to use the same team and coach for 2006 and 2008. I think having one guy in charge is going to allow a lot more to get done than having some beaurocratic group that tries to please everybody.

I'm looking forward to playing and winning in 2006 and 2008 and restoring USA to it's rightful place as the king of basketball.

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

did you watch any of our recent games, either in '02 and '04??? i seriously doubt it, otherwise you wouldn't be saying the things you're saying. we got MANHANDLED in '02, period. with a very talented team. and we didn't fare much better in '04, again with a very talented team. it's time for a change.... put players on the team that actually want to be there, enough of this "most talented" yet undeserving bullsh!t.

good thing these decisions aren't left up to you, otherwise we'd be in store for some more disappointments.

6. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

Getting the best guys and putting them on the roster has been done and has failed...for a number of reasons.... you can't always get THE best players because not every player jumps at the opportunity to be on the Olympic Team. 2) Filling a team with only all-stars puts too many egos on the floor. All you'll have is 5 guys on the floor and 7 on the bench all wanting the ball and all wanting the spotlight. It just doesn't work anymore as the past Olympics and Word Championships have demonstrated. This model - the Dream Team model - is outdated.

What you need instead is to build an actual team. Fill your staring spots with all-star starter, but guys who understand the game and know their position. Fill the bench spots with the best 6th men in the game, the best role players...guys who know their roles coming off the bench. Then, make sure the guys you pick are wlling to commit for more than a few weeks of service.

That is how you build a team in every sport at every level...and that is how you need to build it for the Olympics...this Dream Team stuff in this age of International Hoops won't fly anymore. So take the time to do it right.

7. micah1j

micah1j Member

Sounds like they are moving in the right direction.

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

the last time we put our best players on the court was the tournament of the americas which was the qualifying round for the last olympics. that team had duncan, mcgrady, iverson, bibby, and ray allen and a few others. we slaughtered everybody on our way to a 10-0 record. the argentina team that won the gold? we were up 30 against them....at half time, in the gold medal game. and that team still didn't have kobe, shaq, kg, or i believe vince (he may have been on there, i forget).

our best players are still far far better than the rest of the world's and our very best actually includes shooters, dominant scorers, dominant rebounders, and guys who know how to play on a team and win. that team would've rolled in the olympics with maybe a challenging game here and there. unfortunately, essentially everybody but duncan and iverson left the team and then we had to fill it with young guys we were trying to promote and guys who duplicated either others skills.

so yes, throwing together ill-fitting talent won't work. putting our best, not our second tier, out there would garner an easy gold.

this seems to be a move toward a more cohesive but less talented team. that's still iffy considering less talent will have it's own troubles (like being less talented). maybe it's the way to go in the world of the stars turning us down but for some reason i haven't given up on the stars just yet.

and it would probably help get more stars if lots of americans weren't rooting against the guys who volunteered their time to go over there next time.

9. ChrisP

If nothing else, USA basketball needed a major shakeup.

But, I can't help but keep thinking about the 1980 Olympic hockey team. Get a guy you trust, and turn it all over to him to piece together a team and train them to play like a unit. Do You Beleive in Miracles?!

I'm sure we'll have a few stars on the team Colangelo puts together, and they should be surrounded with guys who have talent, but also great motivation to contribute as role players. That's why tryouts should be good. Only somebody who is really motivated will bother to try out.

10. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Here's an idea, don't put Duncan and Boozer with 10 guys who have the exact same swingman game as each other (basically athletic slashers and volume shooters). There is no need to reduce the talent level of the team, just don't get a bunch of immature guys that have unlimited talent but very limited skill. Both of the teams suggested by posters so far would win the gold easily, but the NBA and USA basketball thought it would be better to send LeBron, Carmelo, Iverson, etc. instead. What you need are highly skilled professionals that have big game experience and a strong foundation in a team concept, as well as a killer instinct. Dream Team I was MORE talented with MORE egos than what we sent to Athens, but that was a team of guys who knew how to play the game and knew how to win. Jordan, Bird, Barkley, Robinson, Magic. Tim Duncan is the only player from 2004 that comes close to the skill level of those players. The Dream Team would have killed every team in the 2004 olympics by 30+ points. I agree with getting one guy to pick the team, but from the article, it doesn't sound like Colangelo was the right choice.

Tim Duncan
    Kevin Garnett
    Tracy McGrady
    Ray Allen
    Mike Bibby

Brad Miller
    Elton Brand
    Grant Hill
    Michael Redd
    Andre Miller

Cuttino Mobley
    Ben Wallace
    Michael Finley

There is a veteran team that has tremendous passing, shooting, rebounding, defense, and guys that have good character and don't get bad press. If you take any coach at the NBA or elite college level and give him those 13 players, I would expect him to go undefeated in international competition. That team only has 2 players that are not great shooters, and those are Andre Miller (I found it hardest to find really good-great veteran point guards with no character issues) and Ben Wallace (one of the best defensive and rebounding players around).

11. ChrisP

Problem is, you can't just write down the names of who you'd like and say that's who we're going to war with. You have to get guys to commit to representing their country. A lot of the best players either can't or won't, for whatever reason.

I don't think they plan on excluding stars or reducing the talent level of the squad. They're just going to open up the process in order to get committed players from wherever they can find them. If that happens to be your dream team, then so be it.

If elite players can't or won't make the effort and commitment, what are you supposed to do? Just take whatever's available and throw it out there? That hasn't worked too well.

The Dream Team was the best players in the league, that also felt priveledged to represent their country. That sentiment doesn't seem to be as prominent anymore.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Guys need to earn their spots. It's a good move. I'm tired of watching:
    A) Superstar publically declare commitment to playing in the next round of games, and backs out with weak excuse a few months before the Olympics start.

B) SemiStar publically and behind the scenes carp, b****, whine, and cry to be included on the roster, then proceeds to carp, b****, whine, and cry about not getting enough PT.

C) Team assembled of big name volume shooters (including "point guards" named Baron) that can't comprehend off-ball movement, setting screens, lockdown D, passing off the dribble, or accurate and consistent jumpshooting.

Put together a real team. Look at just about every championship squad over the last two decades. Typically, you have two bonafide superstars surrounded by hard-nosed role players. During that same span you have many teams overloaded with all-star talent that couldn't get the job done. I don't believe it's a coincidence.

Evan

13. qrui

qrui Member

you don't need them all the stars, just take a winnig TEAM, whoever that is during that year. and another thing, learn some international bball rules before you go out there and play.

14. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

If there's one thing Jerry Coangelo knows, it's how to build a championship basketball team.

15. MemphisX

MemphisX Contributing Member

You guys must be crazy to think less talent is better.

Then when that team gets killed we wil finally agree as a nation that international basketball is not worht the attention.

16. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Back in the lockout season (98? 2000?) our own beloved Rudy Tomjonavich led a ragtag team of CBAers and college players to the silver medal in the world championships. They were denied the gold by some horrible officiating in the gold medal game vs. Russia.

More talent is better than less talent. Better team is far better than more talent in the international game. Period. This has been proven beyond any shadow of a doubt in the USA's last two tries. I'm not clamoring for less talent. I'm clamoring for a TEAM. If they can put together a true team that also has star talent in multiple positions, hey, good for y'all.

Actually, I have a far easier idea for the US to dominate world ball. Change international ball rules to NBA rules. Then it will all be over. Shabam.

17. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

i think they should put guys like tyus edny who play overseas on the team because they know european basketball is played. the international rules are so different. regardless guys like tmac & garnett (two of my favorite players) need to show up and play for their country. too many of these guys just don't give a damn and then we go out and get a bronze in the sport we invented. plus, larry brown should never be allowed to coach usa basketball again. the man sits lebron, amare, and wade for the whole summer. now who are 3 of the top 5 mvp candidates????that's right lebron, amare, and wade.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

I agree, I don't think less talent is better. That's just a big mistake in my opinion.