1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Present] Why Americans Don't Appreciate Soccer?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by ClutchCity3, Jul 15, 2010.

1. cheukkw

cheukkw Member

Not enough commercial breaks/timeout?

2. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LwNdX7gU064&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LwNdX7gU064&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

3. AXG

AXG Member

I like to play soccer but it gets boring to watch, although I do like to watch World Cup games.

4. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I like soccer and watched most of the World Cup.

That being said, the article probably had the most lucid argument as to why an American might not like soccer. I never understood when people said the sport was boring (like in comparison to baseball), but the article actually brought up some valid points as to what a soccer detractor might be feeling.

Well written piece of work.

5. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

yea how am I suppose to get nachocheese without timeouts mayne?

6. TISNF

TISNF Member

I don't get why ESPN was mentioned.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Seriously? That's what you bring up as a a "true" WORLD CHAMPION? Really? Please. Don't make me laugh, señor rocker. :eek:

• Well, is he the WBC, WBO, IBF, or IBO champ?
    • How many other "champs" did he have to fight to qualify to be in the championship?
    • Did he have to go through all the champs in his region to get invited to compete with all the other champs in the world?

:confused:

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

[​IMG]

10. SwoLy-D

LOL! That's pretty good, blahblehblah. :)

"You're next!" - macalu
    Where's their CUP? :confused: - that's a "multi-event" tournament... surely you don't think that "GOLD MEDAL WINNER" is the same as WORLD CHAMP, do you? :eek:

11. sbyang

sbyang Member

The problem is that MLS isn't in the same class as the top leagues and there are no stars on the MLS teams (well a couple of washed up stars).

12. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

[​IMG]

13. bladeage

bladeage Contributing Member

I used to be a soccer hater, now I love it.

I would much rather watch soccer than hockey or baseball. To say that baseball is more action-packed than soccer is ****ing ridiculous. I have never seen fans falling asleep during soccer games. I've seen soooo many people sleeping during baseball games. Why? Because it is ****ing boring. Everyone just stands around. That is pretty much what the sport is, standing. Only one doing anything is the pitcher and catcher. You could put tree stumps at every other position and just throw the ball at it and you could have the same results. Baseball is by far the most boring sport ever, even worse than golf. Hockey, well I have never watched it enough to judge it, but that is because it seems boring. Plus it is basically like soccer but on ice, with sticks.
    NFL and NBA are more fun to watch though.

I really enjoy soccer, except when fans like Swoly start to put down other real sports like boxing :p :rolleyes:

It reminds me of how Pacquiao fans talk **** about other boxers, yet know nothing of the sport. Not that my buddy Swoly doesn't know soccer, we all know he does..but, still. :grin:

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

All right then, have you ever heard of a thing called the FIBA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP?

[​IMG]

There is also a similar tournament for hockey.

15. SwoLy-D

OK... well, then, why do the NBA teams call themselves "WORLD CHAMPS"?? :confused: I'm confused. There are two?

Does the Premier League call its champ the WORLD CHAMP?
    Does the MLS call its Cup winner the WORLD CHAMP?

With Hockey and its "Stanley Cup Champions", you might have an argument... provided there are qualifiers, elimination rounds, etc. Do they have that?

#35 SwoLy-D, Jul 15, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2010
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Because the NBA has the balls to call it like it is....

DD

17. SwoLy-D

Like WHAT is? :eek: A winner who doesn't play other teams of the world? Is that what it is?

18. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Lets put it this way :

2010 MLB Playoff

Tim Lincecum vs Roy Halladay

Phila 1-0 f

would that be a boring game or a tense game ... knowing 1 run could win it and advance closer to the World Series?

19. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I mentioned in a previous thread that Americans simply like action that requires use of all limbs. That partly goes along with the US "go-getter" spirit. Limited body function is not in people's best interest usually.

Water Polo is almost the opposite. Legs to swim but the hands decide all the action. Picking something up and directing it around with your hands just seems a better sense of control ("CONTROL", and USA Oh NO. Damn Arrogant Superpower...)

I actually did enjoy the US match against Ghana. The presentation was good. The announcers did a fair job of making it like the US in the final moments DID have a shot of manufacturing a score. More than the 1% of total possessions chance. For soccer you have to have an appreciation of "Oooh ALMOST. If he coulda JUST ___"

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I heard someone earlier calling a goal the ultimate release, what about all of the 0-0 ties. Half the time nobody even wins, hell you feel lucky if somebody even scores. If somebody always had to score at least one goal to win (no ties) soccer might be worth watching, but it's not feasible(shootouts shouldn't decide outcomes). I'm sick and tired of ties in soccer. I've followed five sports leagues in this country (MLB,NBA,NFL,NCAAF,NCAAB) and i've seen a grand total of 3 ties, and nobody was happy about any of them. You win or you lose, or else whats the point of playing.

Scoring and winners, that is what us Americans like.