1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Power Rankings: Rockets #18

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaGlide, Dec 27, 2004.

1. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

2. DaGlide

DaGlide Contributing Member

I'll go ahead and use this as an opportunity to say that power rankings suck.

Celts are #12 (12-14; L10 : 5-5)
    Rocks are #18 (13-14; L10 : 7-3)

Huh?

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Agreed, it does not really take into consideration so many other variables.

If I would rank the Rockets based on their ability to beat teams, I would rank them around #10 or #11.

To repeat the TNT crew's comments about the Rockets during their "McMiracle" matchup with the Spurs, the Rockets are a more dangeours/better team than their record would indicate. The Spurs found out the hard way...

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Losing to the B-cats twice in the last 10 should be automatic last place for a week.

5. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Oh, BTW, check out this line next to Blazers:

Van Exel is making retirement noises again, and don't forget last season's vow from NVE. The one about retiring unless a Texas team tries to sign him as a free agent this summer.

Interesting, I would take extreme advantage of NVE residence and attachment to Houston and offer him Charlie Ward-like contract. Doubt he would accept such an offer though...

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Beat me to it.

Rockets are enjoying the cushiest schedule in the NBA right now.

Atl-GSW-Cha-Tor-Cha-Lac (16 day span, only one game on the road -Cha).

Evan

7. edc

edc Contributing Member

Which is also a silly ranking. The Rockets have shown they cannot yet regularly beat teams with winning records. There are 14 of those in the league.

At best, that puts the Rockets at 15/16.

As to the TNT folks and McGrady, remember that the takeaway point was that the Rockets could win more if they opened up their offense. They might be taking baby steps in that direction, but there is no clear indication either way.