1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Mike Leach suspended after player complaint

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rockets934life, Dec 28, 2009.

1. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

This is interesting. Hopefully, this will not devolve to D&D.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/swiftboat-pr-firm-repping-james-against-leach-27573

Swiftboat PR Firm Repping James Against Leach

Posted by Brooks on Jan. 08, 2010, 2:43pm

Yesterday Craig James announced that he is considering a run for the U.S. Senate in Texas if Kay Bailey Hutchinson vacates her Senate seat to take over as Governor of Texas. Assisting James in the release of the news was a Dallas company called Spaeth Communications.

I’ve recently learned that Spaeth was also responsible for the release of the cellphone video Adam James took of himself in an attempt to damage the credibility of former Texas Tech Coach Mike Leach.

[​IMG]

If you’re a political junkie, Spaeth Communications might ring a bell. More likely, you’ve heard the term “swiftboating,” which is derived from a p.r. campaign led by Spaeth CEO Merrie Spaeth to damage the 2004 presidential candidacy of John Kerry.

Prominent Texas Tech alumni and media sources have told me the past week that Spaeth Communications allegedly played an integral role in the firing of Mike Leach. In addition to the video of Adam James that Spaeth circulated to the media, I’ve heard growing sentiment that Spaeth was behind much of the anonymously-sourced information about Adam James’ alleged plight reported by the media.

I have contacted Spaeth Communications about those accusations and am awaiting a reply.

That sentiment though doesn’t necessarily jibe with what ultimately resulted from the James vs. Leach confrontation. Though the James family effectively got Leach fired, Craig James’ reputation was dragged through the mud during the ordeal, and it is now safe to assume that if he runs for office he won’t be getting many votes from Texas Tech fans.

James has been considering a political career for some time now, well before what happened at Texas Tech. For that reason, I personally believe Craig James called in Spaeth after the Tech situation blew up, to help damage control his reputation and help preserve his viability as a political candidate. As a conservative, it’s also a natural for James to have Spaeth represent him as he ponders a political career.

But with Spaeth now repping James, he’s not only alienated Texas Tech fans and many more West Texas residents, but democrats who objected to tactics used by Merrie Spaeth in the Swift Boat Veterans vs. John Kerry saga.

Of course, Texas is a solidly conservative state, but James has considerably less support today than he would’ve had just three weeks ago.

Again, I’ve contacted Spaeth Communications for a response on its role with the James Family and expect to have more to the story shortly. I’ve also contacted ESPN for a response from Craig James about the role of Spaeth in the James family complaint to Tech.

2. RedRaiderRocket

Not sure if people are still following this like I am since I go to Tech but thought this was interesting. I see Mike Leach getting a pretty good paycheck, just James lying earlier till under oath today. I hope Craig James gets fired by ESPN but probably wont since they suck and tried posting a hate video on Mike Leach earlier this weekend.

Attorneys for Mike Leach deposed Adam and Craig James for nearly four hours each on Saturday.

The process sounding more like "He said", and "He said". Lawyers on both sides claim their version of recounting events and statements is accurate and true.
    Yet, several contradictions stand out.

Ted Ligget, counsel for Mike Leach, says Craig James admitted he has hired Spathe Communications Group out of Dallas, and that Spathe Communicated with Texas tech in a manner to manipulate messages to the media regarding Adam James and Mike Leach. Including actually using pseudonyms to go online and blog and try to shake the nature of the news.

Ligget also says they stand by sworn testimony from Trainer Steve Pincock and several others, that Adam James was never told to go into an electrical closet. Ligget says Adam admitted under oath, that while in the media room, he was told to stay there, and that he didn't follow instructions and that he went into the electrical closet and he took the film.

More information on Texas Tech Attorney statements Sunday.

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/news/lo...craig-james-leach/pCIuhAHC6kuE4ksidiAG8A.cspx

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I may be tired, but it sounds like the James' look like a$$holes....

4. RedRaiderRocket

Yep if this all that proves Leach is guilty of, I feel bad for the guy not only was Tech looking to fire the guy, so was players on his team. I am not a huge fan of Leach's and am looking forward to seeing Tubberville install his system but it sends a bad message on Texas Tech. Mike Leach was very emotional today and had to fight back tears in his interview. Now Tech is trying to release all of these videos to make him into a devil during half time and post game locker room talks. If they did not want him they should have never signed him to an extension couple of years ago.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

<object width="384" height="216" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" id="ESPN_VIDEO" data="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all"><param name="movie" value="http://espn.go.com/videohub/player/embed.swf" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="wmode" value="opaque"/><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"/><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"/><param name="flashVars" value="id=4987838"/></object>

6. RedRaiderRocket

Yep that was the video shown on espn. I personally did not see anything there worth firing. Unless the judge has a different view it will appear he was fired without just cause. They suspended him for the James' families lies, and fired him for Leach trying to go other there heads to be reinstated. If that is all that is out Tech will have to pay him a pretty high, maybe more than just the salary he was owed.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

you have to question why tech was looking to fire the most successful college football coach they've ever had.

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

didnt see it posted anywhere...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5847181

Former Texas Tech football coach Mike Leach filed a lawsuit Wednesday alleging ESPN defamed him last year in the coverage of his firing.

Leach was fired Dec. 30 after allegations that he mistreated wide receiver Adam James, the son of ESPN college football analyst Craig James.

The lawsuit in Texas district court claims ESPN failed to "retract false and damaging statements" made from "misinformation" James provided.

ESPN spokesman Josh Krulewitz said the company has not seen the lawsuit and that it would be inappropriate to comment.

The suit also names Spaeth Communications as a defendant, claiming James hired the firm for "purposes of creating public opinion hostile to Leach."

1 person likes this.
  9. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

I hope Leach wins. Screw ESPN and Craig James.

10. Fatty FatBastard

I so hope Craig James and ESPN get theirs for this. Leach did nothing any other coach has done to whiny players.