1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Mike Leach suspended after player complaint

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rockets934life, Dec 28, 2009.

1. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

The statements made in the recently released affidavits were likely made to the administration prior to Leach's dismissal. Once Leach was fired and promised legal action, the affidavits were executed and notarized.

Football coaches do not get fired without somebody corroborating the story, at least verbally, to the admin.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Just read that the affidavits were made before Leach was fired (thought they were made after). But the same trainer also made statements that directly contradict his affidavit so I personally have to question the trainer's honesty.

Refman - I agree that coaches don't usually get fired w/o somebody corroborating the story but if you read the trainer's affidavit, it shows that Leach never told the trainer exactly where to place Adams and that it was the trainer who actually made the decision on where to place him. Trying to read it objectively, it just sounds like Leach told the trainer to take Adams to a dark room and to not allow him to sit.

1 person likes this.
  3. Refman

True. The intent of Leach was clear. Make him uncomfortable and do not allow him to sit or to leave. It is clear that the intent was punitive.

4. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

If that kid is so weak that he actually obeys such a thing, after age 18... then my goodness. Should he play college football? I mean, really? Wouldn't you just walk to the dorm if it were you and felt that bad? I mean, leave the campus and go home to a family doctor. Man up and take care of YOURSELF. Coaches are known for not taking any whining from the spoiled, entitled types. I saw it from middle school on up to college. It happens everywhere. James reportedly has a history of slacking off in practice, so it would seem this was not the first excuse he'd had for not falling into the team practice guidelines. Whatever happened to setting rules, and making an example if the rules are challenged?

This kid just happened to have a TV personality dad.

Pretty sure this kid is a pure baby.

"Whaaaaaaaa! Coach made an example of me because I was whiny."

Furthermore, Leach still looks like Vince Gill. And I can't tell you why.

This story is still fishy to me, in it's entirety. Is it over yet?

#264 IROC it, Jan 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  5. rage

rage Member

If he had defied the coach's order and walked to the dorm, he would probably be kicked off the team and, in the eyes of many, it would be his fault. He'd likely not being to play football anywhere else for the rest of his life.

Let use an anology, you work at a company, your boss dislikes you for some reason and punishes you the same way. Do you simply walk away and give up the job, knowing you won't be able to work again?

6. junglerules

junglerules Member

7. rage

rage Member

Which statements?
    There have been a lots of mis-report, he-said, she-said type of things.
    We don't know if the trainer actually said other things before.

Unless there are witnesses who would sign another affidavits :) and claim the trainer said something else earlier, you can not question his words now. In any case, Mike Leach can't use it in a court of law either.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

You know nothing about college football and the power a college coach has. Once you play for school, you can't transfer to any school you want. The former school has to allow you to go to a school of your choice. You also lose a year of eligibility. Most of these kids are on scholarship and the scholarship can be yanked at any given time. I'm sure this isn't the case for James since his dad is rich but the environment makes the head coach a god like figure.

9. Refman

The head trainer and the team doctor signed affidavits stating that Leach's treatment of James was inappropriate.

I am sure that James is just a baby.

Smoke...fire perhaps????

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Some support for a new coach from a Texans playoff:

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/news/story?id=4792320

"SAN ANTONIO -- Texas Tech players, fresh off a come-from-behind victory over Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl, said the incident involving Adam James that led to the firing of coach Mike Leach was just the last in a line of problems this season involving the coach and players.

Many players expressed views, but didn't want to go on the record after an emotional 41-31 victory over Michigan State in the Alamo Bowl late Saturday night. Some did.

Full Leach Interview With ESPN
    Watch ESPN's entire 37-minute interview with former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach. Video

Senior offensive lineman Brandon Carter, who admitted he and Leach haven't always seen eye-to-eye, said fans who were quick to pile on James -- including lustily booing him as the team headed to the locker room at halftime -- as the reason for Leach's firing don't know the entire story.

"I don't want to say anything bad about the fans, but this is not the first situation that something like this has happened [with Leach]. This is just the first time someone stepped forward," Carter said. "I don't want fans thinking that Adam James did this because he was upset but it was just kind of the last straw, and sooner or later something was going to come out. This is the first situation that someone spoke up about.

"We always thought that Mike Leach was a great coach, and he always has been. This year, I don't know if it was personal issues or what not, but things just kind of turned for the worst and it just became a big distraction this year for us. And I think that's one reason we were so up and down this year, because some of the things that he said to his players and some of the things that were done. People just didn't cope with that."

Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers said after the game that he believes the process to hire a new head football coach will be a "fairly fast process" and Ruffin McNeill, the defensive coordinator who took over as interim head coach after the university fired Leach on Wednesday, would be given a fair shot at the job.

Myers said he and the Tech administration will begin meeting Sunday to narrow a list of candidates.

"Ruff has done a good job," Myers said. "He mentioned earlier in the week that he would be auditioning for the job tonight, and I think he had a pretty good performance. He did a great job. These players love Ruffin. Our fans love Ruffin. He certainly will get a lot of strong consideration. We're not opposed to hiring coordinators. We're going to take a look at it. We've got to meet with our administration and go from there. The sooner the better is all I can say."

More on the Big 12, area colleges

ESPNDallas.com's Jeff Caplan and Richard Durrett weigh in on issues facing Big 12 South teams, as well as TCU, SMU, UNT and other area colleges. Blog
    • Tim Griffin's Big 12 blog
    • Blog network: College Football Nation

Former Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville has publicly stated his interest in the position. Baylor coach Art Briles, who served under Leach at Tech from 2000-02, said in a statement that he is committed to the Bears. But this does not preclude the possibility he could be bought out and hired by Texas Tech.

In fact, language in his Briles' contract reportedly suggests that Tech is the only school that could buy out the deal. And in published e-mails to the Tech AD, one of Tech's biggest boosters has specifically referred to Briles. Tech officials have long been interested in Briles and if not McNeil, he is the top choice.

Other candidates could include Houston coach Kevin Sumlin, who runs a spread offense and whose offensive coordinator is former longtime Leach assistant Dana Holgerson. Southern Mississippi coach Larry Fedora could also be in the mix.

Players lauded the job McNeill did throughout the week. They also described Leach as viewing himself as bigger than the program and losing touch with the players.

"It didn't click with the players, and the players kind of rebelled against him and it just kind of made things worse," Carter said of Leach. "Everyone just started doing their own thing. We weren't playing together there for a little while. So, like today, I think we played well together, and Coach Ruff did a good job today keeping us together."

McNeill, whose defense came up with key fourth-quarter stops to ensure the Alamo Bowl win, said he'd be honored to assume control of the program. Players doused McNeill with a bucket of Gatorade, and then he individually embraced players, clearly showing the exhaustion and mental toll the past few days had taken.

"This was the most challenging week I've had in my 29 years of coaching," Ruffin said. "It was a fun challenge though, and this is the most rewarding night I've had in my coaching career. I love those players and this is the most rewarding night of my life."

Players stressed that the team never fractured -- if anything they grew closer -- and that they found television and other media reports of divisiveness and chaos amusing.

"When I was watching TV and with all the media, it was kind of funny to us because ... everybody else thought we were going to come out and lay down and look for a reason not to play hard," junior running back Baron Batch said. "But it was more than that. We wanted to come out and play hard for Ruff and for our coaches."

Added Carter: "It was easily the best week of practice. It literally was like a burden was kind of lifted up. I don't want y'all to think I don't have any respect for Mike Leach because he gave me an opportunity, he gave me five years of his coaching and I learned a lot from him. I hope the best for him. I hope somewhere down the road we cross paths again. I just hope that it's a little different from this past year."

Batch also defended James, the son of ESPN analyst Craig James, who accused Leach of mistreating the sophomore receiver the day after he sustained a "mild" concussion.

"The best thing right now is just to move on. What happened happened, that's in the past now. Being mad about it won't help," Batch said. "You know, I love Adam. I support him 100 percent, and the administration did what they had to do. The Double-T, it's bigger than one person and I hope people realize that it's bigger than me, it's bigger than Ruff, it's bigger than one person. The thing that Ruff knows is, he holds that to be true: The Double-T is bigger than just one person."

Players were vocal about their support for Ruffin as the next coach.

Junior wide receiver Detron Lewis said the team moved on quickly from Leach's firing.

"Ruffin McNeill did a great job," Lewis said. "We just blocked everything out and had a good week of practice. It was the best week of practice we've had, I think, this year."

The Alamo Bowl victory was just the first step toward recovering from the turmoil, and the players are ready to close the book on the Leach era at Texas Tech.

"The administration did what they had to do. I can't really get caught up in that," Batch said. "The thing everybody needs to do is move on right now. You know, Leach, he's not here anymore. There's nothing that complaining and being mad can do now.

"We just won a bowl game. That's a big deal. We won it for Ruff. I think the best thing right now is just to move on and accept that that's that and we're still a great football team."

11. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and people wonder why lawyers get a bad wrap

13. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

14. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

Tubberville interview was just for show... he paid his own way... they don't really want him. Briles talk heating up. I bet they agree to deal by the end of tomorrow and have a presser by Friday

15. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

16. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Why would Tech not be interested in Tubberville, seems like it would be the opposite. I don't have any insight into the Tech program.

And why would Baylor let Briles go to an in-conference rival? Were they having second thoughts about hiring him?

17. Major

Major Member

I could be wrong, but it wouldn't surprise me if it were $$. Especially since how much they might be on the hook for Leach is still up in the air.

Briles specifically put in his Baylor contract an out-clause allowing him to leave for Tech (it's the only school he could leave for w/ a cheap buyout, I believe).

18. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

We reported it 1st Briles not coming to tech!

19. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You sure did.

I'm going to be pissed if they don't get Tuberville. I'm going to be even more pissed if it they promote Ruffin. Either way, Tuberville or good luck receiving any money from me.

20. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

heard from some red raiders on another bbs that tubbs is tech's guy and that he is in pasadena awaiting an opportunity to talk to one of bama's LB coaches to join his staff.

complete conjecture and 3rd hand info so take it FWIW