1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Mike Leach suspended after player complaint

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by rockets934life, Dec 28, 2009.

1. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

Are you talking to me? I go to pretty much each and every practice so Im not sure what you are trying to say...

2. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

The video is relevant to show they had a very rocky relationship. Ive only seen Leach curse out a few people... Me being one of them... But Im not taking sides... Im 100% sure Leach had Adam James confined to the Shed and an electrical closet... However that is not why he got fired... It was just the excuse used... Tech was looking for a way to get rid of him and james just gave them their way out before his $800,000 bonus was due... If you have any questions feel free to ask...

3. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

How is it relevant? I know you guys love what Leach did for Tech, but he was going to be gone one way or another eventually. Just because this kid was a crappy player doesn't mean it was right for Leach to stick him in a closet after he'd had a concussion.

Also, if we are just going to keep on wildly inferring, why don't you guys start trying to figure out how this kid made the team in the first place?

I know some of you tried to paint it as it being ok for Leach to mistreat him because he believed in him when others said he was too crappy a player to be in D1 but I think you guys are ignoring another possibility:

What if Leach wanted him because he wanted Craig James and ESPN to be on his side? Having ESPN pimping you nonstop is helpful in the Coach's and Harris polls.

And instead of trying to determine what a shed or a garage is, why doesn't the Lubbock media ask the question of why Leach didn't just send him to the Trainer's room? What, they can't turn the lights off in the trainers room?

4. ron413

ron413 Contributing Member

5. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

And the wussification of ame ica continues

6. Major

Major Member

Maybe other people were using the training room to rehab from injuries? :confused:

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Leach also claims he didn't specify where to send the kid and the trainer supposedly backed that up. If true, this whole thing goes kaboom! in Tech's face. We'll see when everything is revealed.

9. DaDakota

Agreed, if he did not tell them specifically where to send him they are going to have to pay him a lot of $$$.

But Leach is a moron in the press, he is now attacking Craig James.....Leach needs to learn to STFU and let his lawyers do their job.

DD

10. Major

Major Member

Yep. I'm glad that Leach didn't go quietly unlike most people (Mangino, for example). We'll get a fun inside look at the whole thing, which is pretty rare in a world where almost every coach "resigns" just to avoid getting fired.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't know Leach as well as many here, but he does come across as a Froot Loop. But if his case is as strong as he says AND if Craig James actually did what Leach accused him of, he has nothing to lose by attacking the guy because the facts will back him up. Craig James will be annihilated by the press if everything Leach says about this case is true. So if Leach is an intelligent guy, maybe he knows how strong a case he has. If not, then he's an idiot.

I'll share my popcorn with you. You too Major.

12. tigereye

tigereye Member

The story changes....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4790586

Report: Trainer disagreed on treatment

LUBBOCK, Texas -- A Texas Tech athletic trainer told university officials he did not agree with Mike Leach's treatment of receiver Adam James after the player was diagnosed with a concussion.

In an affidavit obtained Saturday by The Associated Press, Texas Tech head athletic trainer Steve Pincock says he told James he was "sorry" for having placed the player inside an equipment shed near the practice field.

On Dec. 21, Pincock spoke with Tech officials, telling them that he did not agree with that "form of treatment for anyone" and that Leach "wanted James to be uncomfortable."

In an interview a day later, team physician Dr. Michael Phy told university officials that James "may not have been harmed" but he "considered this practice inappropriate."

Leach was fired as Texas Tech on Wednesday, two days after he was suspended by the university while it investigated James' allegations of mistreatment.

Earlier this week, ESPN.com obtained a statement made by Pincock from Leach's representatives, in which he contradicted James' version of the events that led to Leach's firing.

In that account, Pincock said James, he son of ESPN college football analyst Craig James, was placed in a "sports medicine garage" and media room as "big as a two-car garage" while recovering from a concussion, and was monitored by two trainers at all times.

A source had told ESPN's Joe Schad that Leach called a trainer and directed him to move James "to the darkest place, to clean out the equipment and to make sure that he could not sit or lean. He was confined for three hours."

According to the source, Leach told the trainer, two days later, to "put [James] in the darkest, tightest spot. It was in an electrical closet, again, with a guard posted outside."

But in the statement, Pincock said James was not placed in an electrical closet.

"I instructed Adam to stay in the garage and out of the sun, so the light would not worsen his condition," Pincock said in the statement. "While in the garage, Adam was walking around, eating ice, sitting on the ground, and, at one point, sleeping; at no point was there any enforcement to make Adam stand up."

On Friday, Leach denied he mistreated Adam James and said Craig James lobbied frequently to get his son more playing time. Leach said the elder James meddled "more than any parent I've dealt with my entire career."

Leach also claims he was fired for financial reasons. He was in the first season of a five-year, $12.7 million contract.

13. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

The Pincock Affidavit basically makes Leach out to be a liar...

His exact words to Pincock were "lock his *****ing p*ssy ass in a place so dark that the only way he has a d*ck is to reach down and touch it"

Pincock goes on to say he locked James in the shed for 2-3 hours and was sorry he had to do so.

14. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

If you want to read the full affidavits you can check them out here

Leach affidavits

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

People need to take a step back and consider the context of this first - Leach has apparently antagonized the crap out of the TT admin (who, like it or not, are his bosses, as well as state employees with responsibilities that extend beyond the football field) for years with his antics, both directly and indirectly, then pulls an ill-advised stunt like this and refuses to apologize/etc. when busted, rather he goes to guns and decides to sue his employer and launch a scorched earth campaign.

Wussification? I guess. But then if TT officials let Leach be a completely unaccountable loose cannon what does it make them? Badasses?

16. DaDakota

I agree, I have no love for Leach, I think he made his own bed.

And now, it is great for UT, because Tech will sink back into obscurity.

DD

17. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Knee-jerk reaction- you think because they lose Leach that they're all of a sudden going to fall from grace? That's jumping the gun just a tad, no? This is what was said in 1999 when Spike Dykes retired- all the talk around town was how much Tech football was going to suffer, etc. Look how that turned out.

UT has nothing to worry about but themselves- they have the money and the recognition and will probably always be a powerhouse. (Sarcasm alert:) Which is why I love college football, because you can always count on the same schools each year in the running for the national title- it's awesome.

18. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

Bingo.

You have to be able to take the coach to task when things are done that is contrary to the acceptable standards set by the institution.

Fact is, if the trainer's affidavit is true, Leach deserves to be fired. It will also likely be a long time before he finds another big time job, having taken legal action against the school.

19. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

In the alternative, you're talking about taking a kid's word (who supposedly has a history of being douche) over your coach who pretty much built TT football. None of us have all the facts of what went down, but Leach obviously believes he did nothing wrong so why would he apologize? I believe that TT administration maybe should have done a little more investigating before asking/forcing Leach to apologize. Maybe they did but with all the different/contradicting stories floating around, doesn't sound like they did.

I am by no means a fan of Leach and I believe that he punched his own ticket out of Lubbock when he made those comments about Adams and his dad. But the TT administration handled this whole situation horribly and I honestly think Leach has a legitimate case against them. I think the administration has been looking for a reason to fire Leach and that is why this whole thing escalated as fast as it did.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Uh, we have a sworn affadavit from members of Leach's staff that tends to corroborate.

And yes, they have been looking for a reason to get rid of him - because he has apparently conducted himself like a jackass for years in public and private. I mean that's what bosses tend to do to employees who act like jackasses. They should have just let him walk last year but couldn't.