1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN Insider] Williams should have big impact on defense

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by whag00, Aug 5, 2006.

1. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Williams should have big impact on defense

By Michael Smith
    ESPN.com
    Archive

HOUSTON  Here are five observations from the Texans' July 31 and Aug. 1 practices:

1. If for some reason you still question the logic of the Texans selecting Mario Williams first overall over Reggie Bush or Vince Young all you need to do is pay a visit to Reliant Stadium and watch Williams practice, watch him move. In fact, all you need to do, really, is look at Williams. He is the definition of a specimen.

Mario Williams was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft.Texans head coach Gary Kubiak says Williams (listed at 6-foot-6 and 293 pounds) is even more powerful than Kubiak thought watching film from N.C. State. Williams is so quick ("He bounces around like a DB," defensive tackle Anthony Weaver says) and so strong that based on what I saw during pass rush drills this week, trying to handle him one-on-one literally will be a waste of time for most linemen. Once Williams really learns technique, how to read and react, and how to move efficiently (Williams often solicits information about Bruce Smith from ex-Bill Eric Moulds), teams are going to have no choice but to double him, slide their protection toward him, chip him, have a guard help out -- do something. And to make matters worse for opponents, Williams can play just about anywhere along the line, making it difficult to draw a bead on him. The Texans plan to have him rush from inside on passing downs.

Because of all the attention he's sure to receive from the opposition, don't judge Williams or compare him to Bush based on his rookie season sack total. Instead, judge Williams based on how much the Texans' defense, ranked 31st overall last season, improves in '06. Judge him on how big a jump Houston makes from last against the run and last in scoring defense. Williams' mere presence all but guarantees substantial progress.

Williams will be a true impact rookie because he will cause a domino effect. He'll be doubled, creating opportunities for his teammates along the defensive line, whose penetration will create turnovers, which will generate more possessions and better field position for Houston's offense. The Texans forced a league-low 16 turnovers last season.

Weaver, who signed to play defensive end but has packed on 15 pounds so he can move inside to "three-technique" tackle full time, should see nothing but single coverage as the closest man to the double team. Jason Babin and Antwan Peek, former 3-4 linebackers who have added 15-20 pounds each for a move back to their natural 4-3 end positions, should benefit on the other side from both the scheme switch and Williams' presence. Tackle Travis Johnson, last year's first-round pick, who also is a better fit in the 4-3, should get lots of one-on-one chances inside too, when he's lined up alongside Williams.

Kubiak says he's told Williams, "Hey just do your job. If you do your job you can make all 10 guys on the defense better."

Cornerback Dunta Robinson says he hoped the Texans would select Williams, knowing the secondary's job would become easier thanks to an improved pass rush. "When we drafted Mario I already felt like I had two interceptions to start the season," Robinson says.

Though the Bush comparisons always will be there. Short of Williams making of 15 sacks as a rookie, second-guessing is inevitable. But Williams says, "I don't have any pressure, I'm not trying to prove myself to anybody."

A lot of Bob McNair's money is in the Texans' defensive line. With the addition of Williams, he should see a handsome return on his investment, especially from Weaver, about whom teammates and defensive coordinator Richard Smith can't stop raving.

2. Look for the Texans to rotate perhaps as many as eight offensive linemen this year, much the way the Broncos rotated guys up front under Kubiak. Seth Wand and Zach Wiegert likely will begin the season as the starting left and right tackles respectively, but Houston is very high on third-round picks Charles Spencer (Pittsburgh) and Eric Winston (Miami) and needs to get its young tackles game experience without throwing them into the fire. Spencer could stand to sweat just a bit, though, as he needs to drop a few pounds off his listed weight of 337 pounds to play in Kubiak's system, which places a premium on mobility in offensive linemen. Kubiak says Wand and Wiegert actually might be better suited to the zone scheme.
    Fred Weary, Chester Pitts, and Seth McKinney will all see time at guard flanking center Mike Flanagan.

3. Domanick Davis' lingering knee issues are probably the least of the Texans' worries. Seriously. Would they love to have the two-time 1,000-yard rusher healthy and in the lineup? Absolutely. Can they make do without him if it comes to it? Absolutely.
    Remember, we're talking about a system that can produce a 1,000-yard rusher no matter who's doing the blocking and running. And perhaps, right now, the average fan is inclined to ask "Who?" when I bring up names like Chris Taylor and Damien Rhodes, rookie free agents from Indiana and Syracuse, respectively, but rest assured Kubiak and general manager Rick Smith know their names quite well by now. Both have impressed in camp thus far and look like they have a shot to make the squad. Veteran Antowain Smith, '05 third-rounder Vernand Morency (who is slowly learning to cut out the dancing and cut upfield in the one-cut scheme), and Wali Lundy, the rookie out of Virginia drafted in the sixth round, all had their moments this week. One thing is for certain: If Davis misses time, one of the aforementioned running backs will emerge and likely crack triple digits in a game(s) or quadruple digits for the season, if necessary.

Kubiak shares the story of how the Broncos discovered Terrell Davis. The coaches were watching film and noticed how Davis seemed to make every special teams tackle in the first few preseason games. The rest is history. "He went out and made tackles on kickoffs to prove to his team he wanted to play. I think these kids are proving everyday they want to play."

4. With all due respect to Dom Capers, a good man and a good coach, one can't help but notice -- and to a man the players confirm this suspicion -- that the team is simply better coached even though Kubiak and his staff have yet to direct a game. The scheme upgrades on both sides of the ball alone will make the Texans more competitive.
    Kubiak seems as prepared as a first-year coach can be for the challenge of teaching a young franchise how to win. Mark my words: He has a chance to be the Nick Saban of this year's class of rookie coaches. Coincidentally, defensive coordinator Richard Smith came to Houston from Miami after last season because the Dolphins hired Capers to coordinate their defense. Smith's attitude and in-your-face intensity are exactly what the Texans' defense needed. The Texans' defense will be a swarming one, Smith will see to it.

"Last year, a guy fumbled the ball, people were like, 'Oh well, it's practice. I won't pick it up,'" Robinson says. "Now you've got guys returning interceptions and throwing blocks. Last year it was catch it, take a couple of steps or jog, and the play was over."

From an X's and O's standpoint, Smith also will be much more creative and attacking with his play calling than predecessor Vic Fangio. Last year, according to Robinson, the Texans' defense was too predictable; usually the call was for a "fire zone" -- a blitz from one side with zone coverage on the other.

5. Two players who appear poised for breakout seasons are wideout Andre Johnson and rookie linebacker DeMeco Ryans.
    Johnson, who slipped to 63 catches for 688 yards and just two touchdowns last year after a Pro Bowl season in 2004, won't see as much coverage rolled his way with Moulds opposite him and Jeb Putzier stretching the field down the middle. "There were so many times last year where he caught so many double teams, it was almost to the point where it was irritating," says David Carr. "We'd get out on the field, and it was like, 80's out of the game. Let's do something else."

Apparently Johnson's drops, a problem that has plagued him in the past, are down as well.

"I think it's frustrating to him that he doesn't get mentioned among the best receivers in the league," Moulds says. That stands to change. Soon.

Meanwhile Ryans, the sixth linebacker chosen and the first pick of the second round, out of Alabama, is the talk of camp so far. The local paper speculates that he could be this year's Lofa Tatupu, who last year stepped in and started at middle linebacker for the NFC champion Seahawks.

Kubiak says of Ryans' work ethic and professionalism, "He's like a seven- or eight-year veteran already." Ryans has practiced at all three linebacker positions and will in all likelihood begin the season as the starter at one, possibly in the middle. He certainly has the instincts, the leadership skills, and the sideline-to-sideline ability to play the "Mike," his stated preference.

Just remember: Five of the past six defensive rookies of the year, including the last three, have been linebackers. Maybe Ryans is next in line.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/trai...umns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2539314

2. JuLiO-R-

JuLiO-R- Contributing Member

Great, now there's no way ESPN can be wrong about the Draft. They disagree with the Texans drafting Mario Williams, and now they write an article to protect themselves incase they were wrong.

So now when Mario proves everyone wrong, ESPN is gonna act like they knew it all along. :mad:

3. superden

superden Contributing Member

That makes me excited. Dare we say a .500+ season this year?!

4. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Our schedule blows, so it may be tough to pull that off. However, we are greatly improved and things are definitely looking up. Can't wait to see this team on the field...Im excited for sure.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Michael Smith has always been on the Mario Williams bangwagon and said the Texans should draft Mario before they even did.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

By being the only one at ESPN who took that stance, he guaranteed himself a ton of feature articles, as well as being able to beat his chest on ATH saying "I told you so... he's the real #1."

Even if he doesn't really like Mario, it was a smart career choice... to say the least.

7. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

gets me ready for the season....

even though the writer raves about mario through his observations, i like the fact that his teammates are doing the same

i wished he commented on Carr and to see if, what i believe, is becoming an elite qb

8. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I think he will be an impact, but will he be better, that's a tough question and may not be fair...Either way, I'm glad he's here and ready to move on...

I saw ESPNEWS 4 quarters a couple of days ago and they had a bit on the Texans with DT Weaver (???) the guy formerly of the Ravens and he was funny, straight forward and glowed about Mario...I'm ready for some football...

9. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Im definitley looking forward to this season...it has been way over due and there is a lot of excitment going into game 1....this is the time of the year i enjoy coming to work on sunday mornings...

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Becoming an "elite" QB depends on a lot of factors that are still not in Carr's control: A.) offensive line. B.) offensive system. C.) opposing defenses faced.

To this point, A and B have been non-existent with the Texans... and they're likely inter-related factors (the lack of an offensive line severely limited the type of system they could implement, and severely limited Carr's development).

To make matters worse, the previous regime started to spin their inability to build an offensive line/system as "A lot of the sacks are Carr's fault..." Really? Cause the last time I checked, this team didn't have ONE offensive lineman that could start on any other team... and this team lacked ONE offensive coach who had a history of building a successful offensive line. I'm not saying Carr was completely infallible, but they never once said the o-line was a problem... despite the fact that they never made a concious effort to improve it, or that it was pretty clear that everytime they faced a decent defense, Carr would have less time to pass than the average QB.

Now, there are reasons to be optimistic for the new regime... they have a history of coaching up o-lines (with lesser talent) to be not only functional, but successful (I'd settle for barely functional... the Texans haven't even had that). They also drafted two decent prospects who are going to eventually become solid NFL players... it may not happen right away, but there's no current visible reason as to why those two won't be starters in the future.

After those initial things get settled, we can then start to see if Carr has the ability (if given multiple opportunities) to read defenses, and make an accurate pass (which is really all the QB can do on his own). We already know he has arm strength and mobility... so he's ahead of the game. He's also got toughness (not many could survive the beating he's taken). If he gets the chance to play behind a functional offense, there's a good chance he's got the tools to become a successful QB.

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

its on like donky kong.... im glad we got Mario and Weaver....Shaun Alexander made us look like highschool team

12. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Don't remind me...he was laughing the whole time while he was running...made us look worse than a high school team

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I wonder why he didn't say anything about David Carr. He talked about the defense, the running game and the receivers without commenting on Carr. Maybe saying that AJ is due a breakout year is the same as complimenting Carr.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Read my above post... you can't say anything about Carr unless the team knows it has a functional offensive line.

Its not like Carr doesn't have arm strength, can't hit open receivers in practice, or needs to work on mobility or strength drills... his problems lie in games that he gets knocked around, or gets inconsistent protection that severely limits his opportunities to read defenses.

What are you interested in, specifically, in Carr that doesn't apply to an offensive line issue?

15. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp06/columns/story?columnist=smith_michael&id=2539272

Just another article highlighting why Michael Smith is becoming the savior of ESPN...I'm guessing this is why he didn't say anything about Carr: he had a whole other article about him in mind...

16. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Good little read on Carr. This was my best part:

:D

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

His decisions under pressure and his choke jobs in the 4th quarter (mainly in seasons 1-3). I'm willing to admit an improved offensive line could be the solutions to most all of Carr's problems but he is under the gun this year more than anyone. IMO, any write-up during training camp on the Texans' upcoming season should start with David Carr. If he doesn't make better decisions, stick a fork in our offense. Simple as that. No more excuses this year.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Players make good decision under pressure after they become ACCUSTOMED to making plays when they have protection. Carr has never gotten a chance to be comfortable in the pocket... NEVER.

I liken it to a batter always starting an at bat with 2 strikes on him before he even steps foot into the box... sure, he should be successful some of the time... but it sure as hell is a lot harder to get on base than when you're starting off fresh (which is what the average o-line can do for you).

Also, blaming Carr for his performance as a rookie isn't smart... if he had been on an average team, he wouldn't have even started that year. The fact was, the team took the approach that they were all going to be improving on the fly anyways... why not just toss him in there, and start the learning curve early.

The biggest problem the Texans have had is that the line has REGRESSED from year 2 to now... and the coaches knew it. Thus, they implemented an offense of quick outs, dinks and dunks, short passes... basically things that any weak-armed QB had the capabilities for.

But, how easy do you think it was for defenses to adjust to this new "gameplan".... pretty damn easy. Also, even if Carr and co. executes the gameplan to perfection, and got a few first downs, all it took was one 3rd and 9 to basically squash any chance of a drive being extended.

Maybe the coaches were mad at the way Carr implemented the mediocre offense... but at that point everybody was so screwed up on that side of the ball, I don't think anybody was justified in calling out other players. Hell, Capers focused so much on the terrible offense, he didn't realize that his defense regressed even further under his supposed "expert" tuteledge.

It really ended up being a horrible regime... even with the excuse of having an expansion franchise.

#18 Nick, Aug 5, 2006
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2006
  19. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Dear ESPN,

Seth McKinney is not a Houston Texan.

Sincerely,
    swilkins

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Well, that is your position. It's easy to blame everybody but David Carr because the Texans were so bad last year. Sorry, but he shares the blame too for our offensive problems along with coaching and the offensive line. If he doesn't vastly improve this year we need to make a change. Carr doesn't have to set the world on fire, but he must show consistency, intelligence and the ability to play well when the game is on the line. A smidgen of leadership ability would help too, but he doesn't seem to be that kind of guy. I'll cut him a little slack early in the season because of the new regime. By game 4 or 5 we can start judging whether a new quarterback "of the future" is needed. After the coming season, I expect another roster overhaul to finish transforming this team into Kubiak's mold. The Texans are a team in transition.