1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN Insider: Shandon, Cato (Yeah!!!) and Kenny T possibly on block

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NJRocket, Jul 26, 2001.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/archive?sport=nba

Olajuwon, meanwhile talked with Rockets owner Les Alexander yesterday. A source close to the Rockets said that they are exploring trading a few players to get further under the cap. Kenny Thomas, Kelvin Cato and free-agent Shandon Anderson, who would have to move in a sign-and-trade, have been the focus of the Rockets' efforts. The Rockets still believe they'll land Olajuwon, but that it will cost them a little more than they hoped.

This basically says what DA said on ESPNNEWS but now you know who is being shopped...

------------------
    I'm off like a prom dress!!!

[This message has been edited by NJRocket (edited July 26, 2001).]

2. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Post the whole quote since its a premium site - if thats allowed...

------------------
    Reporter asks "How close were you to the victim?" Shorty says,"Real close until the roofies wore off. Then she woke up talking about pressing charges, so I took my tongue out of her ass and left." Shorty - Marlon Wayans "Scary Movie"

Go Rockets!!!
    SS

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Why Kenny? His contract isn't that large, and I think we need him on the team.

Here's the article:

Big men waiting on the Dream
    by Chad Ford
    Thursday, July 26

Marc Jackson is most likely not Hakeem Olajuwon's biggest fan. Jackson, who was expected to be one of the hottest big men in the free-agent market, is stuck in limbo as the veteran big man tries to make up his mind.

Everyone seems to want a piece of the Dream, and that's bad news for Jackson and any other free agent big men left out there.

Jackson has seen interested suitors like the Pacers and Raptors put him on hold while they
    negotiate with Olajuwon. Other favorites, including Seattle and Detroit, have decided to play wait and see what Olajuwon does. That has left Jackson and other big men like Calvin Booth, Olden Polynice and Evan Eschmeyer in free agent limbo. A place none of them wants to be.

Olajuwon, meanwhile talked with Rockets owner Les Alexander yesterday. A source close to the Rockets said that they are exploring trading a few players to get further under the cap. Kenny Thomas, Kelvin Cato and free-agent Shandon Anderson, who would have to move in a sign-and-trade, have been the focus of the Rockets' efforts. The Rockets still believe they'll land Olajuwon, but that it will cost them a little more than they hoped.

Rockets GM Carroll Dawson said he hasn't discussed any sign-and-trade trades with any teams, although the Cavaliers, Knicks, Raptors, Jazz, Heat and Pacers have all shown interest in acquiring Olajuwon.

"I'm still trying to get Dream signed for us, and when that can't happen or he says he won't do it, then we'll start looking at the other options," Dawson told the Houston Chronicle. "Right now, we're trying to keep him on our team."

The other top Houston free agent, Maurice Taylor, has remained remarkably quiet. Of course with very few teams left with any cap room, he doesn't have a lot of alternatives. Neither does Jackson, who is still holding out hope that the Sonics will pay him more than $4.5 million. If the Sonics offer him
    anything less, the Warriors can match. Right now the Sonics, like Dallas, are hoping to land two players with their $5 million in cap room.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

4. NJRocket

I put the paragraph in that discussed the players...I happen to like Kenny Thomas. The only thing I can think of as to "why kenny?" is maybe no one in their right mind is taking Cato all by himself.

------------------

5. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

thanks Cat.

I hope KennyT stays. SA and Crapo can go.

------------------
    Reporter asks "How close were you to the victim?" Shorty says,"Real close until the roofies wore off. Then she woke up talking about pressing charges, so I took my tongue out of her ass and left." Shorty - Marlon Wayans "Scary Movie"

Go Rockets!!!
    SS

6. Band Geek Mobster

If getting rid of KT helps us lose Cato, then I'll be more than happy to help pack up KT's bags...

------------------
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking,
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

7. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

you have a lovely bunch of coconuts

[This message has been edited by Pole (edited July 26, 2001).]

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

This is all a bunch of smoke and complete BS. How will doing a S&T w/ Shandon free up cap room?? With the exception of only a couple of teams (who incidentally do not need Shandon), nobody can take on his salary w/o having to send back salaries in return. As another poster mentioned, KT's salary is too inconsequential to make any difference. And as far as Cato goes, they have been trying to trade his ass for months....and all of a sudden we are to believe he just went on the block to free up $$$ for Dream? Utter BS from ESPN as usual.

------------------

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Damn, no Walt. If Cato is traded to a team with cap or exception, the rockets have a replacement already lined up IMO, who is most likely Jackson, Booth, or Eschemeyer.

Its best for SA to be S&T and the rockets might want to get something out of him. Not a cap move. Kenny isn't that big of a cap move, either, but it may be all that's needed.

------------------

10. Dwightman

Dwightman Contributing Member

Would you rather they say "the Rockets have been trying to trade Cato for months, but haven't been able to because nobody will take his sorry ass?" I don't know about you, but that's not something I want to see in the press about a player the Rockets are trying to move.

------------------

11. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Looks like cato & SA are a package deal w/ KT a limited time offer incentive. Gotta make Kalvin taste sweeter.

------------------
    Can you smell what Dwayne Johnson is Cooking?

12. Thanos

Thanos Member

With Griffin seeing himself as a 4, and in fact having a game that is more suited to play the 4 as of now, expect him to play minutes behind Mo while freeing minutes at the 3 for Morris and Langhi.

That makes KT, along with Shandon a suitable trade bait for getting rid of Cato. I'm sure Rudy and CD aren't stupid enough to resign Shandon without getting rid of at least Walt.

The way this is playing out, i wouldn't be surprised if we end up with both Hakeem AND Jackson at the 5.

That line about creating capspace for dream, along with the contract offered to him, where he would get a great increase in the second year, makes me feel the Rocks have a targeted player in free agency, and that's why they need this much capspace for.

It has to be Marc Jackson if that is the case. Start partying Cat.

------------------
    Just ship Cato's ass outta town. Plain and simple.

[This message has been edited by Thanos (edited July 26, 2001).]

13. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Dwight might have something there. The timing of this could benefit the Rockets.

Oh, we hate to get rid of Cato, but... you know, the Hakeem thing. hahahahhaha.

I assumed Kenny was on the block. He's really the only desirable commodity the Rockets would be willing to give up. If he and Shandon are gift wrap around Cato... all the better. If the Rockets can bring back a Brad Miller(Fizer might fit too), a Ben Wallace or a Kandiman, great! [​IMG]

------------------
    Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen...

14. NJRocket

Maybe SA along with Cato and KT will go to G St in a S&T for M Jax and ...dont laugh me off the board here but...Donyell Marshall. Think about it, KT replaces Donyell. Also, I heard that Fortson is 100% again (for whatever that is worth.) SA could help bring along the rookie Richardson and Cato can back up Dampier and Foyle. In addition, I believe that Donyell is a FA after this season and he just might leave G St for nothing...

------------------

15. Band Geek Mobster

He already did leave G State, he's in Utah now...

------------------
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking,
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

16. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Maybe SA along with Cato and KT will go to G St in a S&T for M Jax and ...dont laugh me off the board here but...Donyell Marshall.

Donyell Marshall plays for the Jazz.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

17. RodneyMcCray

RodneyMcCray Member

I can't believe that people actually pay for the ESPN Insider. I have never seen an article from that site with "inside" information.

------------------

18. NJRocket

Damn...thats embarassing!!! I should have known that! Sorry bout that fellas

------------------

19. Flutie

Flutie Member

The hacks at ESPN Insider just load up a bunch of newspapers in the morning and steal "rumors" from them. Then, piece of a few articles from various newspapers together and put Chad Ford's name at the top.

------------------

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

The salaries of Cato, Shandon, and KT total to $10M+. So we would have to take at least 2 players back in any deal. All the guys we want will be making no more than $5M (LaFrentz, Marc Jax, Brad Miller, etc.) It would seem any player paired w/ any of these guys will likely be an overpaid scrub making more than $5M, which brings us back to square one. As painful as it sounds,we might as well just keep Cato. At least he's tall.

------------------