1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Hakeem mention in Simmons article

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by askball, Jun 8, 2006.

1. askball

askball Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/060608

Question No. 1. Who's the best player in this series?

We covered this last Friday, but Nowitzki has been playing at a level higher than any forward since Bird in the '86 Finals. More importantly, Miami doesn't have anyone to guard him. I can't imagine any scenario in which he doesn't average 30-40 a night.

So Wade is looking at a draw coming out of the gate. Even though his shot comes and goes (like MJ in the early years), he can attack the basket whenever he wants (almost like a running back slamming into the line for 4 yards a pop) and always manages to get more benefit-of-the-doubt calls than anyone but LeBron. But Dallas should be able to wear him down by throwing Josh Howard and Marquis Daniels at him -- one great defensive player, one decent one, 12 fouls -- and punishing him every time he gets into the paint (which Detroit couldn't do because it went only six deep). If he's forced to cover Harris or Terry -- which seems likely because GP is more washed-up than Shannen Doherty at this point -- they also can make him work on defense and keep running him off picks. This won't be an easy series for him, that's for sure.

The bigger issue (and one I haven't fully figured out): How good is Dwyane Wade? What's the ceiling here? I keep hearing the MJ comparison thrown out, which is obviously ridiculous because Jordan was the most talented player ever, as well as the most competitive player ever, and I just don't think that's going to happen again. (We have a better chance of watching Kevin Federline win an Emmy.) Wade also seems like a nicer guy by all accounts -- genuinely respectful, soft-spoken and articulate, an NBA wet dream -- as opposed to MJ, who played the part but was domineering, meanspirited and pathologically competitive, sometimes to the detriment of his team. (Although nobody crossed MJ either; for instance, when GP snapped back at Wade in the Chicago series and kept jawing and jawing until their teammates finally intervened, I thought that was fascinating because this never, ever, EVER would have happened to Michael Jordan.) Wade reminds me more of Hakeem Olajuwon, another dignified competitor with ice in his veins, someone who was just as streaky and always kept coming and coming. You never wanted to have money against Hakeem, either.

I can't believe people actually believe ESPN hates the Rockets, or Houston in particular. I mean we even have an old great like Hakeem getting a mention in the Finals preview. ;)

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

i think is more like a shot at hakeem

he's saying there's no comparison between wade and mj because mj is much more mean/tough/or competitive than wade

so he tried to compare him to hakeem who is less mean/tough/or competitive

3. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

he also mentioned as a boston fan he is dreading ainge taking redick at seven. please do it ainge. ainge probably sees a little of himself in redick although once again, ainge was a better athlete.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Hakeem "streaky"? :confused:

5. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

that's for the fans who just caught on in the championship years. hakeem was as steady as rock, he just had an unreal series against the spurs that makes people think he was streaky.

its funny that he wrote that because after watching nowitzki, wade, and even lebron have some really bad games by their standards, I was thinking that superstars aren't as steady as they used to be.

6. codell

yeah pretty much

i mean, Hakeem was almost guaranteed 20, 10, and 3 every night with frequent outburts of 30-40 pts and 15-20 rebs

if thats "streaky"......lol

7. codell

exactly

In his first few seasons, he was prone to a bad statistical game, but it was usually due to foul problems, ejections and/or Mark Eaton ...I don't ever remember seeing Hakeem play 40 mins and think "man, he just didn't show up tonight"

8. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Say what?

He calls Wade: genuinely respectful, soft-spoken and articulate, an NBA wet dream,

He calls Jordan: domineering, meanspirited and pathologically competitive, sometimes to the detriment of his team.

Then he compares Wade to Hakeem, and you think he's insulting Hakeem?

...what article are you reading? You seem to be focusing on "streaky." Did you miss "competitor with ice in his veins," "always kept coming and coming," and "you never wanted to have money against Hakeem?"

The fact that he uses "domineering, meanspirited, and pathologically competitive" gives away that he's slighting Jordan, not complimenting him. If he wanted to compliment him, he'd say "assertive, tough, and competitive."

9. busta_cap

busta_cap Contributing Member

Reading comprehension FTW!

10. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

If 20, 10, 4, 3, 1.5, and 50%(career) is streaky, then I hate to see what numbers he has in mind for someone who is not streaky. I thought the 40% range was where you might say "He shoots 40% but, he is streaky and can catch fire and carry a team. On dream's streaks, he would embarass HOFamers.