1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN.com: Torn elbow tendon for Pettite

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, Jul 27, 2004.

1. codell

codell Contributing Member

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Its not season ending, because he can't do any further damage to it by pitching.

It was already midly inflamed, and it just kinda gave way, I guess... the only thing is that he'll have "discomfort", but as long as its not mind-numbing pain, Pettite seems to want to pitch thru it.

This is kinda like Roy's injury last year (where he couldn't do any more damage to the groin by pitching on it), but pitching with that pain severely affected his pitching.

That being said, no matter what, Pettite will probably have off-season surgery to correct this nagging problem.

3. BigCountry132

BigCountry132 Contributing Member

Gammons mentions Pettite's injury in his article.

The Astros know there's a chance Andy Pettitte will be out at least a year because of elbow surgery. His fastball declined from 89 to 74 mph in Monday's loss to Arizona. Thus far, owner Drayton McLane has not wanted to move Carlos Beltran or Jeff Kent before August because he wants the Astros to draw three million fans. But Phil Garner may do what Jimy Williams' heart couldn't -- sit down Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio and/or Brad Ausmus.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/gammons/story?id=1847512

I had no idea his fastball dropped to 74, doesnt sound very good.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Gammons the "doctor" is even less reliable than Gammons the "prognosticator."

If there was any chance the off-season surgery would take more than a year to recover from, he would have had it scheduled for yesterday... somehow, I don't think this is that major of a procedure if the 'Stros are willing to have him pitch the rest of the year in pain, THEN have him get the surgery.

Of course, this team could still be operating under the motto "this year or bust," when in that case, they'd rather have everybody throw out their arms this year, and worry about next year next year...

5. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Just sit the guy down. Get the elbow ready for next year.

6. lalala902102001

I can't believe that they are letting him pitch with a torn tendon in his elbow. If surgery is needed, get it done now. It's not like that Andy has been pitching effectively with that injury. If he's going to go out there with an injured elbow and throw BP fastball to major league hitters, I would rather have someone else do it.

7. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Sounds logical to me.

We are just barely hanging. Why potentially make things worse?

Well I hope they know what they are doing.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm not a doctor, but I do play one on TV.

9. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I know I didn't go to med school but if his elbow can go from inflammed to torn than it can get worse by pitching...

Shut him down, trade Beltran, trade Kent and let the rebuilding begin.

10. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

According to doctors, apparently not.

You don't start rebuilding when your only 5 games out with 2 months to play.

11. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Holy crap...from HC:

Pettite

"Although surgery might ultimately be needed after the season, Pettitte politely declined to talk about that possibility. Pettitte has had the flexor tendon problem all season, and general manager Gerry Hunsicker finds optimism in that Pettitte pitched through similar problems all last year in his ninth and final year with the New York Yankees."

Stick a fork in him, he's done...

12. caphorns

caphorns Member

Wasn't this part of the reason the Yanks weren't willing to push Pettitte's offer higher?

13. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The inflammation was there because the tendon was in the process of tearing.

Now that its torn, there is no main source for "added inflmmation", but the irritation that already exists could be very painful... thus, its up to Pettite whether or not he can pitch effectively thru the pain, or require rest and rehab, and eventually surgery to repair the tear.

14. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

It is the reason.

Now Pettitte's hurt again, and even if we do make the playoffs (through the Wild Card, I'm assuming), I have very little faith in the rotation that we'll be able to put forth.

Oswalt-Clemens-Miller

or

Oswalt-Clemens-Redding

The second scenario only comes about if Miller isn't in better shape health-wise if and when we make the playoffs, and of course, Oswalt and Clemens are interchangeable in the order.

But it just seems like Clemens is more hittable lately. Like it's easier for batters to get to him.

He seems tired, to be honest. And Oswalt isn't as dominating as he was a couple seasons ago.

Even if we do make it into the playoffs, we're in trouble. The pitching won't be able to carry the hitting. And with a rotation like that, I'm not sure I'd expect it to.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I dunno... but they did come in with a last-ditch offer that was substantiously higher than what the Astros offered.

Why would they do that, if they "knew" about his elbow problem... seems like they would have just let him go, and cited the elbow to save the PR nightmare that followed. (that was only eventually rectified by the A-rod deal).

16. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

This wouldn't qualify as TJ surgery would it?

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

No... TJ surgery is on a ligament. This would be repairing a tendon.

(anatomy lesson 101: ligaments hold the entire bone structure together, tendons simply connect muscle to bone).

#17 Nick, Jul 28, 2004
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  18. NJRocket

i bet you stayed in a holiday inn expres last night

19. NJRocket

Just out of curiosity, if he did need this tendon surgery, how long is the rehab?

Just makes me crazy because I remember the sports talk shows and the papers in NY when we signed Pettitte...everyone of the comments was the same...and that was the Yankees think pettitte has elbow problems and that's why they aren't signing him.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I found this link, in regards to a similiar procedure done on patients who experience "golfer's elbow," which is basically inflammation around the flexor-tendon area. Since this is a partial tear, instead of just complete inflammation, there may be additional recovery time added on... but it doesn't look too bad. (it definitely shouldn't be as bad as TJ surgery)

It also helps that this muscle is used more in things such as "swinging", whether it be a bat, golf club, or tennis racket.

If he were to have similiar surgery on his shoulder tendon, THAT would be career threatening.

Here's the link: http://www.handuniversity.com/topics.asp?Topic_ID=4

Recovery from surgery takes longer. Immediately after surgery, your elbow is placed in a removable splint that keeps your elbow bent at a 90-degree angle. Ice and electrical stimulation treatments may be used during your first few therapy sessions to help control pain and swelling from the surgery. Your therapist may also use massage and other types of hands-on treatments to ease muscle spasm and pain....

...You may need therapy for two to three months. It may take four to six months to get back to high-level sports and work activities. Before your therapy sessions end, your therapist will teach you a number of ways to avoid future problems.