1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN anchor Jemele Hill called President Donald Trump a white supremacist.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Daddy Long Legs, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

That's a racist thing to say to a person of East Asian descent.

Hey, guys, No Worries is a racist!

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's no more false than the narrative that Trump is a white supremacist. Again, if any ESPN employee said anything comparable about Obama, they'd be instantly fired for it because politics. I mean, have we already forgotten why they ditched the original Monday Night Football theme?

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Exactly. The GOP demigod Reagan was advocating for amnesty for a certain segment of undocumented migrants. How times have changed indeed. He would be seen as a libtard cuck today

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

This is a true statement lol.

Example, say the worst case scenario happens. Say, Trump is a flaming racist and by the end of his term he somehow brings back Jim Crow laws.

Does that affect white people or black people?
    So, when did either Obama or Clinton specify Mexicans?

There is a major difference here, both are talking about illegal immigrants and Trump was simply talking about Mexicans.

"When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. ... They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists. And some, I assume, are good people,"

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

from my personal experience (not black) it's a very real narrative. LEO behavior as well as civil forfeiture laws, militarization of police, all real issues.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The narrative that racist cops are out hunting down and murdering innocent black people in the streets is absolutely a false one and that's the narrative pushed by BLM types ever since Micheal Brown.

Now that doesn't mean that I don't have issues with police militarization or civil forfeiture laws, those are just completely separate issues that affect EVERYONE and aren't tied to BLM.

8. ipaman

because trump is an insensitive uncultured idiot who can barely put two coherent sentences together. he probably thinks all brown people who speak spanish are mexicans. a lot of white people think this actually but they're not racists. they don't know mexican is a nationality not a race. i've seen this a ton with white people. just insensitive but honest mistakes.

that being said, obama and clinton can really talk a good game. very little chance they don't mean what they say.

9. ipaman

agreed. blm is way too specific(race only) ignoring other major LEO issues. again, i've said blm has terrible leadership. a ton of power and potential that is wasted.

10. Nook

Nook Member

BLM isn't just interested in issues facing black people, they also have interests in lesbian based issues. I think their leadership is brilliant. Very few of their supporters are aware of the founders political beliefs, reason for the organizations founding or how radical the founders are. So far BLM has generally avoided negative general opinions with the masses.
    It is a brilliant organization in that sense, although I question how effective it will be long term.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  11. ths balla

ths balla Member

I dont agree with what she said but I also do not think she should be fired for what she said. My problem is with the double standard from both sides. Liberals coming to her defense but nobody supporting the likes of Linda Cohn are things that annoy me. It also isn't a matter of people supporting free speech, its people supporting free speech they agree with that is the problem. If someone from ESPN got scolded for saying something bad about Obama you wouldn't see Michael Wilbon and Jalen Rose come out with hashtags of "I stand with so & so."

Duncan McDonuts and ipaman like this.
  12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The problem is, intentional or not, it's a HUGE whistle for you know who.

Along with things like tweeting fake black crime stats, his stance on Muslims, what he said about the Central Park Five...these things add up, this is why no matter how many times he 'disavows' them they will latch on to him, because they see it as a wink wink "I'm just saying this because I have to, don't worry."

While I actually don't think Trump is a white supremacist...I think he's done more for the cause than any other president in recent history, and I'm counting recent history as far back as the 90s.

Perception is reality, I know I say that a lot, but only because it's oh so true. The perception from many minority groups is that Trump actively doesn't like them, works against them. The perception from white supremacists is that Trump is for them. He needs to do a lot to change the perception, C'ville was a big opportunity for him to do that and he whiffed, big time.

13. ipaman

good post and i can't disagree. trump is a facktwat but not a racist but jemele didn't say that.

14. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I am starting to think some people actually think this is a possibility. I just can't fathom your logic.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  15. ipaman

agreed. my three biggest issues

1) tons of hypocrisy and inconsistency from jemele hill, espn, and others. both sides too honestly.

2) jemele hill claimed her opinion was fact. no one's opinion is fact.

3) keep politics, movements, social issues, etc... out of sports. i facking hate that ****.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

And I can't fathom yours, easy to say, but nothing actually countered my point and takes this discussion to nowhere land.

Have you not been listening at all? Some people DO think Trump is after their rights, unfortunately, he's done nothing to assuage those fears.

You can think it irrational for them to have those fears, but you're not those people, you don't walk in their shoes. People want a conversation on these things (or claim to) but want to shut it down as soon as something offending is said. It's not a conversation that's wanted, but a scolding. You may disagree with Jemele, but a lot of people believe what she believes. What doesn't help is that all this election cycle we've heard about the plight of the middle-class white person and how we need to be empathetic towards their concerns and complaints...that empathy doesn't seem to be extended to the middle-class black or Hispanic person though. So actually listen, some complaints and concerned are paranoia, but some are grounded in truth and facts that will only get worse if they continue to be ignored.

Trump has to change the perception around him, missed a big chance to do so with C'ville. I'm sure he'll have more chances though.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Some people are stupid. Some people thought that Obama was an undercover Kenyan Muslim who wanted to take away their guns....would you argue that Obama had a responsibility to assuage those fears or would you just say that those people are r****ded and should be ignored?

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. Buck Turgidson

Has she been on the air since this?

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Actually, Obama tried to do that and gave them his long form birth certificate and multiple times clarified his stance on gun control.

I'm not sure what impact that had on that conspiracy theory, but that's all that was, a conspiracy theory. I think there is a difference between birthers and and the fear of white supremacy taking hold.

Yeah, but this blew up yesterday. My guess is she'll be there tonight though and unless something bigger happens in the sports world (Like a certain Knick being suddenly traded.........) they probably open the show with it.