1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN: 4 team trade for Melo [Rumor]

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tiger0330, Sep 24, 2010.

1. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I can't fathom why Utah would do this, unless they're getting a pick out of it.

HUGE win for the Cats.

Pretty good, even trade for Denver and Nets. It helps the Nets big time that they keep Murphy. Scary frontcourt with him, Lopez, and Anthony. Backcourt could be worst in the league though.

Edit; something HAS to be missing here - Utah can't move AK47 and his $18M out for Diaw ($9M) in return. Charlotte over cap so they can't be sending a TE.....

3. AB_ALLDAY

AB_ALLDAY Member

Yay top 10 pick here we come. New York = Fail

4. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

is NJ in a better situation than denver?

if he wants an all-star, he should go to NY. if he wants to compete for a ring, he should go to us.

c'mon melo.

5. Rockets_4_life

^ this!

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

why would melo sign an extension to a team without a PG and a SG? sure, they'll be set at small forward and center, but then what?

good trade for CHA. they get a nice combo guard to help their team contend for possibly a 6 or 7 seed in the east.

don't see Utah's interest in this trade though.

denver wins here.

7. Steve_Francis_rules

I honestly don't understand why the Nets would do this trade precisely because it would leave them with such a horrible back court. Farmar/Morrow as the starting backcourt? They would be awful.

8. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Why not? You're always allowed to take back less money so Utah can trade AK47 for Diaw. Charlotte is sending out Diaw and getting back Harris so that works. Assuming that AK47 and Favors combined salary is no more than 125% of Anthony's outgoing salary then it would also work from Denver's end.
    NJ would be taking on salary but they have the cap space to cover it so it works for them too.

Salary wise it should work but does Anthony really want to play on the Nets without Harris or Favors?

9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I seriously doubt Melo signs an extention to play on a 20-25 win team.

10. yao2kmart

yao2kmart Member

Good, now we can move on and stop all these Melo Rumors to Houston. Time to focus on Preseason!

11. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

you make it seem like melo has a choice in where he goes in a trade.

12. G-Money

G-Money Member

So basically...Nets are giving up Devin Harris, Derrick Favors, and first round draft picks for Melo?

13. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

He does. Nobody is going to offer much in return for Anthony if he won't agree to sign and extension. Without his agreement then Denver can certainly trade him but they won't get anything of real value in return. It's in Denver's best interest to trade Anthony to a team where he's willing to sign an extension in order to maximize what they get in return.

14. tested911

tested911 Member

Can't Utah package a 1st round so that can move AK47? Even though the salaries don't match the 1st round counts for something right? I could be totally way off here..

15. Shaud

Shaud Member

Charlotte and Denver wins this trade more than New Jersey would.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Other than pleasing Lala with the Geography, why in world would Melo think that he could be contending in the top heavy East with the Nets giving up that much talent. Lopez, Murphy, and Melo are the only three legit NBA starters on that roster. I am sure Avery Johnson is doing everything he can to keey the front office from making this move. But I doubt Melo will agree to an extension anyways with whatever is leftover from the Nets.

17. Shaud

Shaud Member

Melo still wants to go to New York though.

18. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Huh - you're right, thanks! I always thought that salaries on both ends had to match within the 125% rule, but looked it up and saw I was incorrect.

I just got learned!

Future draft picks don't contribute to salary in trades.

19. tested911

tested911 Member

Oh I remember you can trade a player and get nothing back as long as you give away your pick or something like that...

20. Convictedstupid

Losing both Favors and Harris?

That Nets team will blow. Well, they wont blow as bad as the Knicks.