1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon Trade Potential

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Coach E, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Coach E

Coach E Member

We will if we have too, if LBJ says he wants to be a rocket, and the Cavs refuse to trade, we will have to go this route.

2. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

NO WE WON'T. Dumping Ariza, Gordon, and the rest of the team and taking no salary back is just not possible. LBJ doesn't want to come to that team and we don't want him in that case. Cle will trade with us. The bigger question is how move Ryno. There are other options. Please pick a realistic one.

saleem likes this.
  3. Coach E

Coach E Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Some Draft Scuttle from@New York - The Houston Rockets apparently are exploring a trade that would get them a mid-lottery pick. Rockets apparently tried to get players in for workouts yesterday and today.</p>&mdash; Steve Kyler (@stevekylerNBA) <a href="">June 20, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

If I'm understanding your proposed moves, we would be getting rid of Anderson, Gordon, Nene, Onuaku and Qi and taking back no salary. That's Just over $40M in salary that you are trading away and taking nothing back. That's extremely optimistic.

Let's pretend that you can do that. So now you only have Harden, Capela, Tucker and Paul left on the roster.

Harden at $30.42M, Capela at $7M cap hold, Tucker at $7.92M and Paul at $35.35M Cap hold for a total of $80.69M. Since you don't have 12 players on the roster then you need to add an empty roster hold for each spot below 12. That's 8 empty roster holds at $830k each which is a total of an additional $6.64M. That brings our total salary to $80.69M + $6.64M = $87.33M.

That would leave you with just under $14M in cap space. That's not going to allow you to outright sign Lebron or PG13.

If you assume that Chris Paul is going to sign for less than his max then you'd be better off resigning CP3 first. Let's do that calculation.

You have Harden, Capela, Tucker and 8 empty roster spots for a total of $51.98M. That leaves you with $49.2M in cap space to sign both Lebron and CP3.

Less than $50M isn't likely to be enough to sign both Lebron and CP3 but let's say that it is. You're left with only Harden, Capela, Tucker, CP3, Lebron , a draft pick and have no exceptions. The remainder of your roster would be minimium salary players.

Even if you can convince yourself that we can dump over $40M and take back nothing and also get Lebron and CP3 to sign for less that a combined $50M, I don't think gutting the team to that extent would be an option.

As others have already pointed out. A sign and trade would be extremely difficult. Likewise, signing Lebron with capspace would force us to gut the roster. The only realistic option is an opt-in and trade.

faraza84, Why not? and jch1911 like this.
  5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

To be fair I'll throw in a couple of possibilities with this scenario.

Paul has bird rights, can take a 1-year deal then sign for an overpay next offseason. So from that 50 million, Lebron can take 32 mill per 3 year deal, Paul 18 mill 1 year deal. Then, next offseason, we can re-sign Paul to a 40 mill per deal (with a max + bird raises) to make up for his 1-year pay cut (or really a 2-year pay cut including last season).

Also, I think it's a given we can re-sign Moute/Green/Wright for minimums.

So

Paul
    Harden / Green
    Tucker
    James / Moute
    Capela / Wright

+ a mid 1st for Ego, a couple of 2nds and ring chasing vets could fill out the roster well enough.

You are right that a S&T, or opt-in trade and is WAY more likely, but in the off chance the Cavs REFUSE to make a deal with us this would be a hail mary we should attempt.

6. aelliott

First you have to dump $40m in salary without taking anything back. That would be almost impossible to do.

Would CP3 play for $18M? I also assume that he'd play for less, but almost 50%?

I don't think that you get Luc for the min this year. He was too good last year.

Green for the minimum is possible.

If I had to classify this deal, I'd say highly unrealistic.

BTW, I don't believe a SnT is realistic either. Being hardcapped would be a deal breaker.

Why not? likes this.
  7. Coach E

Coach E Member

Why is it hard to believe dropping for 40$ with out taking back any? EG is going for a pick, we’re going to drop 2 picks to send out Ryno. That’s 34 mil right there.

Also 25m is what Durant is playing for, so it’s kind of already happening.

8. aelliott

Because teams value cap space. There's only so much cap space and every contract that teams take on in salary dumps reduces the amount available for them to spend on guys they actually want.

As far as Durant, he took a $9.5m paycut. Chris Paul already gave up $11m by opting in to enable a trade to Houston. Now he's going to take another paycut of an additional $17m? That's very different than what Durant did.

9. Coach E

Coach E Member

No he’s not taking 17, he’s taking 10, lebron is taking 10.

If it’s a player who really doesn’t flinch at 10m it would be lebron. He’s well on his way to a billion.

What’s 10m to win a ring? Cp3 might do that.
    What’s 10m to help your friend win a ring while also helping yourself win another ring, while also getting revenge on the warriors? LBJ might do it.

10. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Gordon's contract is a good one. He came through in the Warriors series. He has his ups and downs but he came up big when it counted. Not many players to deal Gordon for, not worth really cleaning cap space. Only reason to deal Gordon is if someone takes Ryno and Gordon is the thing sweetens the pot.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  11. aelliott

You quoted my reply to ThatBoyNick. Nick had just stated "Lebron can take 32 mill per 3 year deal, Paul 18 mill 1 year deal. ". That's the statement that I was replying to. So in that context, yes, CP3 would be taking $17M less than he's eligible for.

Sure you can propose that Lebron takes a $10M paycut but that's very unlikely. If we signed Lebron outright then we don't have Bird Rights on him. That means that we wouldn't be able to pay him anything close to the max for 3 years. Under that scenario, Lebron is losing $10m per season which isn't likely. I'm assuming that's why Nick made CP3 take the majority of the cut because we have his Bird Rights and could max him out after a year.

The difference between what you're proposing and what Nick proposed is that in his scenario, both Paul and James get paid close to max money over the next few years. Under your scenario, Lebron is going to play for $10M below his max for every season that he's here. He could obviously afford that but will he? We have no way to know and there's nothing to indicate that he's willing to take a paycut of that size.

12. Toffeeone

Toffeeone Member

I don't like this trading EG for a pick. He worth a lot more than a pick to us.

However trading Ryno for a pick is a better idea.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

won't happen, we would have to give away a pick for someone to take him