1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon: Extend? Trade? Stay the course?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

EG plays a hybrid position a 2-3 so you'd have Rivers , House , Green and McLemore.

Really the thing that I think would be missed most is his defense. EG and Tucker are how they hide Harden on the weakest offensive player 1-4 so often.

I like EG , he's a great compliment to Harden / Capela / Tucker but I just don't see Tilman paying him anymore than he already is and I'd hate to lose the asset for nothing and have no way to replace him.

If you aint gonna pay him , you gotta move him …. its that simple.

Gray_Jay likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

That’s the unfortunate part. Normally that would be the case but based on what we know, it’s more likely a wait and see. With tilman at the helm now. They’re going to risk going with EG through the season to see how they ultimately look as a team. If things do indeed go south, it’ll change pretty quick. But no way do I see them not going into the season without EG. If the rockets are sticking with not paying he’ll have plenty of suitors next summer

Oh and speaking of EG

Tbh holic with his rant about EG, merely confirms he’ll still be here

#162 YOLO, Aug 8, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Oh I'm almost certain that they go into the season with EG , really don't think that's in question at all …. but I'm not so certain he finishes the season with the team .

If I was forced on the subject , I'd say he was moved by the deadline … for better or worse. (That is assuming they have no intention of paying him beyond seasons end).

That's not to say I like the idea either …. He'd definitely be missed in a big way on both ends of the court.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

unless things are looking pretty grim, I'd say EG is with houston the entire year. worst case scenario and this team just falls off the cliff, I'd say hes probably moved but that's tbd of course

5. Fantasma Negro

Trade the fat boy

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

So you are saying they go into the offseason and run the risk of losing him for nothing ?

I find that hard to buy , especially if they have no intention of extending him.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Does Jimmy's description mean he's embraced being the League Foil?

8. BigBum

BigBum Member

Keep Gordon if trade Capela for a smaller contract, like 4years 50 million.
    No need to pay tax.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

I don’t find that hard to believe at all. The rockets just made an incredibly bold move with the wb situation. They’re not going to go backwards and risk trading eg for something that doesn’t likely give them a better chance at winning. This isnt some borderline role player. EG is a big impact player on this team

Plowman likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think we agree on that point …. but assuming they have no intentions of resigning for market value , he's gone and you get nothing and how do you replace him with any comparable talent when you are over the cap.

I'm sure there are deals out there that aren't a step back while at the same time allowing you to stay in the same zipcode in terms of cost and preserve the asset / space above the cap.

I'm by no means saying trade him for some mediocre player or end of the bench project. IF you are moving EG , its for a comparable talent that is A younger and B cheaper and you are adding assets to make that happen.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't think its about having no intentions of resigning him. they likely do want to as they've go into discussions about an extension on multiple occasions now that we've heard of. its about the difference in money that EG has coming for him. bargains seem to be the mo these days for this team, especially with tilman at the helm. eventually those days come to an end to a lot of players. EG being one of them.

12. Le$$

Le$$ Member

What can you get for Gordon? Borderline semi star, who cant really get an all star selection. He is Houston 3rd option for scoring. Thing is will they trade him or extend him. I think they will probably bite the bullet and extend him, he does fit there system. Thing is if tilman doesn't want to pay in near 20's for him , he will probably not get extended. That's why i brought up before a team like Charlotte where EG could be the star next to Rozier and create a new team out east. I don't know seems like Gilchrist and Williams with a 1st would be a good get if i was Houston.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The most Tilman can sign Gordon for in an extension is $16.8m starting salary = 120% of current.

Any hesitancy to sign an extension is surely coming from Gordon wanting more in the open market this Summer. To me, it reads as a "take the 16.8m now, or bet on yourself, later" proposition.

JuNx likes this.
  14. 疯狂伊文戴德蒙

I think EG will seek a 4 year-$80 million contract.

JuNx likes this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Eric Gordon wants an extension.
    Mike D'Antoni wants an extension.
    PJ Tucker wants an extension.

Your move Tilman.

D-rock and YOLO like this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

At least somebody will leave and then Clutchfans will say they’re saving up to really spend on the next season, then we’ll just do this all over again.

Corrosion likes this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Eric Gordon is pleased with this news.
    Yeah, LeVert is nearly 6 years younger.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Vivi, JuNx and YOLO like this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

So...we are definitely losing Gordon, oh god, we really might have to trade him. That sucks. Im not sure if we'll even get equal value back for him.

20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes, but - -
    but I love what this guy brings
    but I love his current contract
    but I'm scared a 4-year extension puts him 1 or even 2 years past his worthiness
    but extend him today. Add 2 years at top $
    but if you don't extend him then deal him for comparable talent with 3-years on that contract

but, whadda I know???