1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Gordon: Extend? Trade? Stay the course?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jul 30, 2019.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

this is one instance where i actually agree with jopat. with the logjam of guards now and not enough quality forwards, and with any large extension guaranteeing tilman would have to pay the lux tax thoughout the coming years, it really does seem like EGO will be traded, and likely for a taller (and cheaper) wing player. too bad too because EGO really does stretch the defense by setting up so far behind the arc. that and his ability to stick point guards made our guard rotation gold

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

So he’s talking to himself on twitter since he got put in timeout. Nice.

Deuce, hakeem94 and YOLO like this.
  3. Chuck Nevitt

Chuck Nevitt Contributing Member

[Premium Post]

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Gotta find a way to spread the newsletter

Holy ****...what kind of person needs that much attention

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

You missed the line he added to his profile after the time-out: "When people take your money and don't even have the courtesy to answer a single email...."

Wonder who he could be talking about there? :D

Deuce, hakeem94 and steddinotayto like this.
  6. Acura

Acura Member

My eyes!!! If the rockets trade Gordon and sign JR Smith I think they would be the laughing stock of the league. What did I just read

7. Hardy Toll Road

@basketballholic was the laughing stock of these forums for quite awhile. He use to be a joke over on the the dreamshake forums also.

8. Acura

Acura Member

Dreamshake forums?

9. Hardy Toll Road

Another Rockets site by SB Nation. It's nowhere near as good as Clutchfans though.

hakeem94, jamisonrocket and Acura like this.
  10. biff17

biff17 Member

This not the team we are rolling with the next 3 years, We have been capped out the last 2 and have added different players.

It matters be side a 20 million a year contract is much harder to move if that's what he wants I would trade him this year.

He has had knee issues very year they are not going to get better.

You should never want to overpay a role player and a guy that is best playing off the bench.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Make a donation ?

steddinotayto likes this.
  12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

But if we are trying to win a championship this year, why would we trade Eric Gordon, regardless of whether he's gonna command a lot next year? Normally i had getting nothing for assets that walk in free agency, but if we are close to winning a championship with EG i wouldnt muck with that...especially now that we need more shooters around westbrook.

withmustard, YOLO and Little Bit like this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think you could make a case for trading EG … you have plenty of guards behind him and you have a gaping hole at the 3/4 spot. If you are trading EG for an upgrade at the 3/4 ….

You fix that 3/4 spot with a quality shooter / defender , and this team is the odds on favorite even at the expense of EG. If that incoming player is under team control - all the better.

You cant let him walk for nothing either - You have absolutely no way to replace that talent - its Ariza all over again and its a third year later and the roster still hasn't recovered from that decision. That hole still exists.

Relativist likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

who are these plenty of guards behind him? The rockets didn't add anyone significant thus far. Its just rivers that's the most reliable as a every night contributor

15. biff17

biff17 Member

I would trade Gordon because I don't think paying an older player who has knee issues 20 million a year is a smart thing to do.

I think he could be replaced with Austin and another young guy who preferably has Moore size, did we not learn anything with the CP3 situation?

I love Gordon as a player and would have no issue paying him if he was younger.

16. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

30 isn't terrible for a jump shooter. It should be pretty prime. Extending a core piece of a contender is not a terrible idea at age 30, but I'm OK with seeing what he does this year.

Killatron 2000 and YOLO like this.
  17. biff17

biff17 Member

30 with a history of knee injuries?

I am not paying 20 million a year for that, which was the proposed contract.

18. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Why they ban my boy HOLIC? smfh

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Rivers and Gordon could be the best bench in the league. I say the Rockets need to lock both up for 3 more years after this season. 3 years at 15-20 mill per isn’t horrible for Gordon. Hell, I’m pretty sure 15 is low compared to his market value.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I hear what you're saying. But there are only so many great floor spacing guys who are adequate defenders and enjoy a sixth man role. If we don't pay Gordon $20 we may end up paying $18 to someone worse. Just playing devils advocate.

BaselineFade and Relativist like this.