1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eric Crouch Retires????????

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Oski2005, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Said he's been hurt and that he can't in good conscience take a spot on this team. I don't buy that, I'm pretty sure it has to do with converting to reciever. Everybody on the Rams was saying that he was looking good and that he had a bright future. I wonder what he's going to do now?

http://msn.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1430682.html

2. Stylez

Stylez Member

Yeah I heard he was doing really well in the conversion from QB to WR, I guess things just didn't work out for the guy. Maybe he can go back to Nebraska and be a asst. coach, or go into politics, or TV. He's pretty popular in Lincoln.

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, that sucks. That was one of the things I was really looking forward to this NFL season. I wanted to see how well he did as a WR. Didn't he win the Heisman? Has a Heisman winner ever retired after one NFL game?

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i'd pay for him to get a law license here in Texas to come practice with me...

the guy is a winner and some intangible qualities that i think translate well off the field...

i say the exact same thing about major applewhite...except i say it much louder when talking about applewhite, because i KNOW he has the smarts too! :)

5. drapg

drapg Member

Major Applewhite
    Woody Dantzler
    Eric Crouch

all rookie QBs that have been outted from the NFL for one reason or another...

are NFL owners playing a 2002 rookie QB version of "Big Brother"

If so, David Carr owns the permanent "head of household" position.:D

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

When I heard this, I was shocked. I had a chance to watch him at the NFL Rookie Shoot, and he looked good as a receiver. Seriously. He had good hands, and made some great catches (from our not-so-great staff throwing to him). He had good speed, too. Plus, he had one hell of an accurate arm (better than some actual QBs at the shoot). He would've made a decent pro. :(

On a side note, in Santa Monica, after the shoot, we saw him dining with his parents and girlfriend (fiancee?). His girl looked good... Worth retiring for? Maybe. :)

7. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Charlie Ward anyone?

And Now Starting at PG for the New York Knicks - Heisman Trophy Winner Eric Crouch!

8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

aw shoot, I just posted this same article in the hangout Forum.
    Anyway, I was pissed when i heard this and I dont buy his excuse. I live in Omaha so you can imagine the uproar this has caused. Eric is one of the most popular people in the state and I am sure he will get a warm reception when he moves back to Omaha but something doesnt add up. In almost every interview I have seen for the past 16 months he always talks about wanting to make it to the NFL. He hasnt even given himself a chance for the injury to heal which is why this does not sound right to me. Hopefully the truth will come out soon

9. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Only Heisman that are worth anything over the past 12yrs is Ricky Williams and my boy Charles Woodson.

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

So now Ricky Williams has done something and Eddie George isn't???

11. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

yeah that doesn't all quite add up.. the rams wasted a 3rd round pick on him too...

unless you have a sure fire other great job offer i could'nt imagine just retiring without even ever playing a game.. especially if you actualy made the team...

12. drapg

drapg Member

any inside news in NEB about Crouch's plans? Was he homesick? Did he not want to switch positions? Did he not think he was good enough to play professionally?

Maybe he wants to start his own afternoon radio show with a former MTV Real Worlder...:D

13. Buck Turgidson

Dude, I think you're forgetting Gino Toretta.

and that Eddie George guy

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

My bad playboy. I forgot Eddie. Make that eddie, Ricky and my favorite player in the NFL Woodson. Woodson is the best corner in the league hands down. I never seen a defensive player just take over a game like he did at Michigan. A player like him comes once every 25years.

15. Nomar

Nomar Member

I was sad to hear this. He is in my opinion the best college football player of all time. And he is in my unbiased opinion the best option college QB of all time.

I think he could have played QB, RB, and WR in the NFL. Too bad.

16. Buck Turgidson

First, Gino's glorious pro career is ignored; and now no love for Bucky Richardson? What is wrong with you people?

Personally, I think Tommie Frazier was better.

17. drapg

drapg Member

according to ESPN Crouch has decided to return his $395,000 signing bonus and cites "no passion for the game" as his reasons for retiring. He says that he played football in high school and college for others (family, etc.) and when he got to the pros and was playing for himself, he just didn't have the desire...

funny thing was that Trev Alberts was the man on SC who stated these quotes... yeah, the same Trev who kept his $5.5 million signing bonus after playing just one year with the Colts and recording 40 tackles in his career. A cohost pointed this out to him on the air and even I felt the sting of that burn! :D

18. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

The last Heisman winning QB to do **** was Charlie Ward

19. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Best college player of all time?????:eek: Have you ever heard of these guys:

Randy Moss
    Charles Woodson
    David Boston
    Ricky Williams
    Desmond Howard
    Steve McNair
    Champ Bailey
    Lavar Arrington
    Peter Warrick
    David Carr

There I just named 10 that were better in college and thats just to name a few.

20. drapg

drapg Member

How about the only man to win 2 Heisman's???

Archie Griffin.

College football does precede 1990.