1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Energy Independence + Job Creation

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by bigtexxx, Mar 28, 2017.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

So superficial that Fortune, Vox, Bloomberg, The Atlantic & many others are using alot of the same data. You got better data, you should site it as an alternative source of research.

http://fortune.com/2015/01/16/solar-jobs-report-2014/

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...l-countrys-decline-has-a-long-history/453144/

And I'm not sure what point you are trying to make here... that Coal is the way of the future, and Trumps EPA rollback is going to boost our economy more than increasing clean energy growth in the US? You realize that Trump is using Coal MINERS as the face of this regulation rollback right? Go watch the Press conference from today. But feel free to include downstream jobs in your analysis to prove otherwise if you want. Show me the data that supports Coal as a wave of the future in technology that deserves major investment.

According to US Labor -

So since you are so keen on Coal being the wave of our economic future, I challenge you to prove to me with data to back it up that investing in Coal enough to allow for them to poison our streams, rivers, lakes, etc. being worth saving a few jobs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There is also an interesting study from Yale about how the EPA regulations are vastly overstated in the downfall of Coal. If you want to argue against a Yale study go for it.

RocketWalta and Brando2101 like this.
  2. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

^^
    There you go again citing only "coal mining" jobs. Total bias.

Do me a favor - calculate the positive impact of lower power costs on the American economy, and report back. Coal represents inexpensive energy in many parts of the US. TIA

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If the battery storage issue gets resolved and we are able to store massive amount of energy in the batteries, you can kiss coal good bye. It may happen within the next ten years.

5. dobro1229

Why don't you do your own homework on your task smart guy. You want me to put as much on the board as you can so you can try and poke holes at it as a debate technique. Contribute to the debate with useful data or shut up.

Again if Coal is the wave of the future for energy in the US economically & from a jobs perspective, prove it smart guy.

watashi315 likes this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If...

Things are improving but we still need a quantum leap.

7. dobro1229

I also think that this announcement was not an accident happening today. Keep in mind that the DOW slipped more in 8 days more than it had since the late 70's.

Cutting regulation announcements always gets a reactionary superficial boost. But let me be frank... any President that operates on a day to day basis to manipulate wall street is ultimately going to fall hard. Operating this way is short sited and irresponsible.

(also wouldn't shock me if there were insider trading laws broken in the process to help TWH's Wall Street friends)

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

So tell us how many jobs are downstream.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Shale also helped produced tons of nat gas too which was ultimately less polluting.

10. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Say what?

11. pirc1

ten years is a long time in today's world, we will see. Renewable is the future. Batteries, super conductors, cold fusion, etc. If any of these areas have a quantum leap, coal would be on death watch.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't disagree at all. I'm just saying battery technology hasn't evolved anywhere near as rapidly as other technologies. Honestly, we shouldn't have just given up on nuclear. There have been significant developments with it and we could become energy independent very quickly thru nuclear plants.

13. dobro1229

Could be a coincidence, and its speculation on my part. However the timing of this rollback of regulations is suspect in affecting Wall Street. Something Trump continues to use as his talking point of success as President. that and Jobs reports citing periods that Obama was still President lol.

14. dmoneybangbang

And natural gas is an inexpensive feed stock for many petro-products. The gulf coast is ramping up it's ability to refine those products, along with exporting LNG.

While natural gas does have some serious concerns from fracking, such as water pollution and even small earthquakes, you are correct that natural gas is a very clean burning energy source that releases minimal CO2, no SOX, no NOX, and particulate matter.

15. bigtexxx

Stock market was up nicely today! You're getting destroyed, son!

....and Wall Street friends? Didn't Hillary make a lot of those during her speeches? *snort*

16. pirc1

Yes, especially if science could solve cold fusion, that would require lots of basic science and experimental science research, which I am guessing would be on the chopping block for this administration.

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...a-nuclear-reactor-in-every-home-car-and-plane

17. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

All of this stuff has been priced in already and expected. As they say in trading..."buy the rumor, sell the news". Meaning people usually buy a stock or the market with the expectation of as much potentially beneficial news as possible. When the announcement or news comes it is generally anti climactic or underwhelming and people generally sell.

Anyhow, try to relax a bit with the conspiracy stuff. There isn't much to see here.

18. dobro1229

Up nicely after the longest slump streak since the 70's. As I laid out, this rollback was likely planned for a time like this to artificially pump up the stock market for a day or two. Not sure what you are celebrating.

Nobody gets "DESTROYED" or vindicated by one day's gains on wall street. Its idiotic to celebrate a President messing with policy in order to superficially get a "Win" on stock market gains for the day. That's a pretty poor way of operating from a policy perspective.

Also I can't believe a Trump fan would want to talk about Hillary giving speeches to Goldman Sachs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trump didn't just give speeches to Wall Street.... He HIRED Wall Street.

Way to "Drain the Swamp"

19. bigtexxx

This kid is getting humiliated. "LONGEST SLUMP STREAK SINCE THE 70s?" The S&P is about 1-2% off it's ALL TIME HIGH!

too easy

20. dobro1229

Oh I know. As I noted it was just speculation. However its Trump himself that loves to talk about how he's affecting wall street as some sort of vindication that he's doing great.

Also reg this Bill to remove regulation - I'm anticipating this taking years to come into affect, and a massive amount of lawsuits to stall this coming into actual de-regulation. Its more show than anything.