1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Elon's biggest problem @ Twitter - he's not funny at tweeting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by SamFisher, Dec 2, 2022.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This stuff is maybe too on the nose for our middle aged muskmen - trigger warning

https://slate.com/technology/2022/12/elon-musk-twitter-gop-redpilling-humor-posting.html

I’m not here to home in on the particulars of Musk’s politics. (I already did that, a month ago.) In fact, I’d argue that his recent redpilling is barely relevant to why his stewardship of Twitter has been so uniquely agitating. Sure, it isn’t ideal that Musk has restored the accounts of guys like Jordan Peterson, but I am not of the opinion that social media has much effect on corporeal reality. (May I reiterate one more time: the midterms!) Instead, the worst part about Musk’s Twitter tenure is that he is simply bad at posting. He was consistently one of the most oppressive presences on social media in the mid-2010s, back when he was promising to dig a tunnel from San Francisco to Los Angeles, and he’s only grown more obnoxious as he attempts to fabricate a strained MAGA pivot while he slowly loses all of his famous friends. We have handed over the Crucible of Posting to someone who has a remedial understanding of the art; honestly, that might be the impetus for his radicalization.

There’s already a lot of literature that’s been published on Musk’s shortcomings as a poster. In 2021 the New York Times went long on the frequency at which Elon pilfers memes he finds on Reddit without proper accreditation (a big no-no—just ask @****Jerry). The underlying thesis here is that he was never able to engineer the creativity, humor, or cultural fluency necessary to become an elite tweeter, so, like innumerable struggling YouTubers and canceled podcast hosts before him, Musk has started playing to the cheap seats by taking on the woke mob in the name of free speech, which has, frankly, become the hackiest and most overplayed hand on social media.

But he can’t even do that right. Musk’s newfangled based persona is wooden and vibeless, a photocopy of a photocopy of a photocopy. To clap back at CBS News, he’s using terrible photoshops of Brokeback Mountain, which has to be the most inept, warmed-over touchstone in anyone’s meme arsenal. He believes that millennials spend too much money on Starbucks Frappuccinos—that old “$12 avocado toast” chestnut—a satirical terrain most often explored by guys like Andrew Dice Clay. He’s shared a photo of his bedside table, which is covered with four cans of caffeine-free Diet Coke and an antique pistol, which I assume is a way to better endear himself to the only demographic who will still be on Twitter by 2023. All of these missives are nakedly counterfeit and desperately needy—like someone who’s learned the contours of alt-right diction from an academic journal—but most pertinently, Musk is plainly not very funny. It is the eldritch truth that eats at his core—his Rosebud, if you will. Musk can never outrun it for long, so he jumps from one pandering scheme to another, owning the libs to diminishing returns. A few years ago, Musk was poaching Onion staffers to start a competing national lampoon. (It never got off the ground.) Now he’s restored Twitter access for the Babylon Bee, a MAGA-tinged Onion facsimile that also happens to be one of the cringiest humor publications on the internet. The political polarities have flipped, but the fundamental fraughtness of Musk’s being remains the same. He doesn’t have the juice, so he must outsource his way toward the repartee he so clearly desires.​

@Os Trigonum @tinman @AroundTheWorld

Let me say in my personal view, that i have in fact found VERY MUCH FUNNY in the whole Twitter takeover saga. But, mostly it's situationally funny! Like, Musk making a terrible deal for Twitter because he's bored on Twitter, trying to renege by making up nonsense excuses, and being forced to do it anyway by a court was darkly funny! As is his post takeover fumbling! Also the fact that his hangers-on like @AroundTheWorld and @Space Ghost have to leap to his defense because - internet or something - funny to see them do this no matter how silly it is!

But the sink tweet and the Babylon bee? Those jokes are flat as **** my friends and no amount of toadying can warp that reality! Sorry!

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

…..

Andre0087 likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Another Musk thread!! Yay!!!

Invisible Fan and Andre0087 like this.
  4. SamFisher

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

6. SamFisher

My underlying thesis is that, like Musk, certain posters here were never ever able to engineer the creativity, humor, or cultural fluency necessary to become an elite poster

I mean, threads about VHS videotapes and the 90's rockets were funny haha for a little while, but what really gets you attention?

Spamming alt right memelord posts again and again and again! Or becoming an antivax alt right Florida man! Ann Althouse RSS feed reader posts!

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

reminds me of cf..many posters here are seemingly good people but not that funny

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Is Musk a seemingly good person?

9. fchowd0311

Man I just want people to realize that Musk doesn't have much technological beyond a bachelor's in physics that he hasn't used in decades. He's an investor. In fact I would say even Steve Jobs had a deeper understanding of engineering design principles and he wasn't a technical lead type of guy either.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Please refrain from retweeting ultra left wing articles that are attacking ultra right wing people.

11. Space Ghost

Great point! I dont have a degree in physics but I can certainly comment that other people have no idea what they are talking about when it comes to physics.

12. fchowd0311

Kayne made the mistake of not using coded language. You ain't supposed to say "Jews". You supposed to say "globalist".

Yes the Babylon Bee will attack Kayne once he says Hitler invented microphones. If Kayne said "globalist" instead, Babylon Bee being the embodiment of boomer humor, would cry about Kayne's free speech being violated because boomers and Gen x have a difficult time understanding the concept of what "free speech" is.

13. fchowd0311

Well I made comments about him not being an engineer. Me bringing up that he has a physics undergrad and not using it for over a decade is me telling you that he doesn't even have a degree in engineering and that the degree he has, he hasn't applied it once since graduating.

But since I did comment on his lack of engineering skills, I guess I have some say as I have a MechE degree and actually use it in my career. But I wouldn't consider myself a subject matter expert in mechanical engineering.

14. Space Ghost

What is your definition of free speech?

As I said before, free speech is the opportunity to express how one thinks/feels/ect ...

Being an ******* is not free speech.

15. fchowd0311

That is literally the hill the conservative movement including Babylon Bee is willing to die on.... And even more they are dying on a hill with a claim that one can be an ******* as much as they want on others' property

16. Space Ghost

Degrees do not auto-qualify someone to be a subject matter expert. In this context, degrees mean nothing. Some degrees are obsolete after a couple years. Its the experience that matters.

I am not stating Elon is the god of engineering. He clearly brings something to the table more than investing. If this was the case, Gates would be a trillionaire. Gates is actually a poor investor. He is a shrewd businessman. Engineers often make poor businessmen. You need it all to build a successful mission.

17. Space Ghost

100% agree. I am not a fan of most conservatives.

18. fchowd0311

He brings investing. That's it. His timing is impeccable.

He has a documented history of trying really hard to be perceived as the engineering entrepreneur. I know you are intelligent enough to see that this was nothing than marketing on Elon's part.

I'm stating that Elon isn't even a engineer let alone a "god tier engineer". Experience absolutely does matter. What experience does he have in engineering?

19. fchowd0311

Okay then why are you on your knees for the Babylon Bee here?

Deckard likes this.
  20. i3artow i3aller