1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Electricity will be expensive this summer in Texas

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JuanValdez, Jun 1, 2018.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I don't expect anything too crazy. Covid hasn't impacted TX consumption as much as some other states like CA and NY (where load is down so they don't face much scarcity). Our reserve margins (that is, how much buffer we have to handle spikes in demand) are still a bit slim, but I haven't checked on the weather expectations. Reserve margins should be fatter in 2021+ with new generation, which will ease things a bit. We'll have a rider to cover covid-related costs, but it's very small.

But, always shop. You don't necessarily have to switch though. You can take the best offer available and call your own company and ask them if they can beat it. You can ask them to give you what you see they are offering to new customers. What you should not do is (a) nothing or (b) accept the renewal offer they send you. You must go shop it or you will be charged more.

I always recommend people get 12 month (or 24 or 36) plans. The you capture the whole seasonal pattern in the price. When retailers price out a plan, they know their winter costs will be lower than their summer costs and price accordingly. Timing won't give you a better price. And, consider the short contract from the provider's point of view: either they (a) try to get pay off the cost of selling to you in the mere couple of months you're around, or more likely (b) hope you forget to shop again when the contract is over so they can roll you to an expensive variable product.

2. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Hammer meet nail.

Starting early May all pricing starts to go up. I signed a 6 month plan that starts next month at 7.8 to 1000 kwh, 8.0 from 1000-2000, and then 7.7 over 2000 kwh. I always use the Power to Choose website and READ CAREFULLY. I signed up in May and got to choose my change over date 2 months out. It ends in December when rates will be much lower and then I'll search again. I NEVER sign long term as rates fluctuate so much, and the credits aren't worth it as they're usually for higher tiered plans.

3. LonghornFan

Sorry buddy, but this is not true in my experience. I've been doing this since deregulation started and the rates always go up around late April to Mid May. I always sign short contracts and have never had one over 8.5 at peek between 1000-2000 kwh. I get emails letting me know my time is up, and that is when I start searching. I live in a 2875 sq ft home and have never had a bill over $220 in the Summer, and I run it at 66 all night and 74 during the day, plus I also have a WiFi smart thermostat which also seems to help.

4. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am looking at some of these. . .says they have fixed rates
    but subject to changes. . . .sounds like double talk to me

Alot seem to promise a rate . . .say 6.5 . . .but the reality is that it is a different but with a discount attached to it.
    that brings it down to the 6.5 rate.

however if you not in the range you don't get the discount.

Just trying to not get screwed

Some of these termination fees are out of control

Rocket River

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Given the current **** you environment from big business, I would absolutely make sure you are confident in the terms before you sign up.

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That is what I am doing
    been calling around to get some explaination
    I checked the site but .. . don't trust the terms

Rocket River

8. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

check if they charge a fee if you go under 500 kwh, i see a lot of them do.

9. LonghornFan

I know of higher kwh charges under 1000, but no fees. I've never had a problem using power to choose. I look for the companies with all in charges. I don't have to worry about being under 500 or 1000 as I use that much in the Winter. Pretty sure I'm way over 2000 kwh for June-July.

10. conquistador#11

I've been curious about this for years now. You know how 8 years ago Reliant got fancy with their site and added more usage graphs?
    My question is : Is the "Efficient homes" graph real? That's the green graph that lets you see all the people in your area who use 1/3 of the energy you do. I'm calling a HOAX! I just don't see how they do it. (mind blown)

Amiga likes this.
  11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Some of it, yes is BS. However, I replace my outside A/C...which died...last summer. My system was just over 10 years old (inside unit is older) and there was a dramatic difference. My k/w usage went from 3800 - 4200+ per month in the Summer to 2000 - 2500. The new outside unit was MUCH more efficient, plus used the newer style of coolant instead of Freon (which is now CRAZY expensive...it cost me $700 to get recharged 2 years earlier).

I assume new homes can be alot more efficient, but my house is 45 years old.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

thats a huge difference! Do you know the size and seer of your old unit vs new? What brand did you go with?

I am in a similar situation. Units are close to 20 years old and is still running but not as eff as it was. An AC company wanted to charge 400 to fill them up. A friend filled one of it back up (the other unit didn’t need to be filled up) at cost for 100. Those old feon are getting very expensive. I might have a small leak but friend can’t find it and it has held up for over 1 yr. Still plan to replace it if it leaks again. I was told I have to replace both outdoor and attic units because of the new type of coolant - but that was with the ac company that wanted to rip me off, so I’m not sure if that’s true.

13. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Don't remember the old model (I think was a Carrier) or size. I know it was 11 years old before it DIED (just outside the warranty....lol).

The New.

https://www.alpinehomeair.com/viewproduct.cfm?productid=453064224

My A/C guy (family friend) told me you don't have to replace the Attic units to use the new type of coolant, but A/C companies "Recommend it" because it would be more efficient (and Expensive). There is some type of adapter.

#53 Mr.Scarface, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    Amiga likes this.
  14. lpbman

lpbman Member

Just throwing this out there, if you're running a window unit constantly, the payback for one of those mini-split a/c units can be as low as 18 months*. As a bonus, they tend to be much, much quieter.

*details like diy vs pro install, name brand, seer, hours per day of usage and price per kwh can change things dramatically.

15. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Does anyone use Bulb energy? https://bulb.com/

It sounds like it's the similar to Griddy but with 2 months of locked summer rates and no monthly membership fee. Ideally the prices would be really low in the winter time and higher in the summer time. The locked rates in the summer (6/1-8/31) should prevent any major unpleasant spikes like Griddy. The lows are not as going to be as low as Griddy since bulb gives you 2 month heads up on any price increases.

I am wary of variable rate plans but bulb is intriguing. My current plan ends at the end of August and I am tempted to hop on to see if it's any good.

16. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Well, I took the plunge and signed up with Bulb energy starting tomorrow. There is so little information on Bulb in Texas. I will update this thread with prices compared to a regular fixed price plan from PowerToChoose.

Best prices of right now for a 1 year contract on PowerToChoose
    Cirro Energy: $0.045/kwh + fees ($0.091, $0.086, $0.084 for 500,1000,2000 kwh usage respectively). 12% renewable.
    Frontier Utilites: $0.0476/kwh + fees ($0.094, $0.089, $0.087). 100% renewable.

Bulb energy: $0.0536/kwh + fees ($0.10, $0.095, $0.093). 100% renewable. That price is until 8/31. Then it becomes variable until 5/31. 100% renewable.

I am hoping that the lower prices in the variable non-summer months will offset the higher prices in the summer compared to a 1 year contract price.

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Got some more technical info on this? My redneck buddy is building a Barndominium and wants to use split units. I have one in my garage but I wasn't sure how efficient they are.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I just signed up with constellation. No usage fees and its constantly at $.088, which was a big plus for me since in the winter, I hardly use any electricity with a gas heater.

20. lpbman

lpbman Member

Anywhere from ~17 to 37+ SEER. The higher SEER units obviously cost more, and are harder to find.

This is the most efficient/per dollar unit I've found.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12000-BTU-...-Ductless-230V-INNOVAIR-29-SEER-/283667496375

The $500 cheap units at 17-19 SEER are still a huge upgrade from a window unit. Also, they work at variable speeds... they don't cycle on/off quite like a traditional central AC or window unit. This means you can oversize (within reason) without humidity issues.

There also exist "solar assist" mini split units, where solar panels are plugged directly into the outdoor unit. Neat idea, and pretty simple, but for the $1000+ premium you could set up a small solar system that is more versatile.