1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Electricity] Reliant's 'Free Weekends 24' Plan

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 26, 2014.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Anyone ever use this? Is the savings worth it? You get a Nest thermostat out of it as well.

-Receive a free energy charge all weekend (8 p.m. Friday to 12 a.m. Monday) for 24 months**

-Enjoy the satisfaction of doing your part to reduce demand on the electric grid when you shift your high-usage activities to lower demand periods

-Plus get a $249 Nest Learning Thermostat Free***

Fine Print:
    *Price reflects average annual usage of 2,000 kWh/month. Please see the Electricity Facts Label for other pricing information. Average price calculation is based on 2,000 kWh and a standard usage profile over 12 months including 32% of total consumption on weekends, and includes the free weekend energy charge. Your average price for electricity will vary based on your usage times and days used. Changes in law or regulatory charges allowed by the Public Utility Commission of Texas will impact your price. **The Reliant Free Weekends 24 plan rewards you with a free energy charge during the weekend. The energy charge shown is the weekday energy charge. The free energy charge will be reflected on your monthly bill and is included in the average price calculation. Transmission Distribution Service Provider charges still apply. Reliant reserves the right to discontinue this plan without notice. This offer is subject to availability. ***Enrollment in the Reliant Free Weekends 24 plan with Nest provides one Nest Learning Thermostat per household and requires a residential service address within areas served by Reliant. Based on Nest's studies of actual Nest devices in Texas in August 2012 compared to holding a constant temperature of 73.5 degrees. Thermostat compatible with most HVAC systems. Check the compatibility of your system online at www.nest.com/works/reliant before enrolling in this plan. If thermostat is not compatible, you may cancel this plan with no penalty. Nest, Nest Learning Thermostat and the Nest logo are trademarks or servicemarks of Nest Labs, Inc. A limited warranty is only provided by Nest, and except for that limited warranty, Reliant and Nest make no warranties. Reliant is not affiliated with Nest or the products and services it markets. Savings will vary according to time of usage.

link

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is perfect for a weekend getaway home.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Most of the "free weekend" or "free night" plans aren't worth it in the end as they make up for it by charging you for the other hours at a higher rate and they put a minimum kWH usage on you that will even it out. If you fail to hit that number they'll ding you with a fee to make up the difference.

4. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

I opted for the free nights instead of the weekend. I do all my laundry and dishes during the night. I keep the house at 79 degrees when I'm home during the day and 82 when I leave. The savings are substantial and I'm not sure about the above post because I haven't seen them make up any difference to meet a minimum amount.

But it is true the rate is higher for the other hours so you would need to compensate.

5. Xerobull

I notice their gravy prices are over 2000kwh, when most specials fall in the 1000-2000kwh range. And I know I won't be hitting 2000kwh if I'm not paying electricity on the weekends, even in the summer with the wife and kid at home all day.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The 2000kwh thing is the usual way they catch you. There is normally a base charge if you don't hit that number and that will ding most people.

7. Poloshirtbandit

I had it for a while and really didn't notice a difference in my bill.

8. platypus

platypus Member

This. Those base charges are killer.

9. conquistador#11

using the eye test, so far so good. my bill in may last year was $180. it's going to be $130 this year. coincidence? aliens? cooler hotter weather? I don't know but it will be a lot less for sure.

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I signed on about two months ago and also got the free nest. Love the bills so far.

11. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm guessing you're in that strata of society that watches Channel 11.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

on a similar note...i am moving into an apt next week and need to sign up for electricity. hmm. any suggestions? max 1 year contract.

13. Xerobull

http://www.powertochoose.org/

How much do you guys use?

14. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

http://www.mytruecost.com/

Takes about 5 minutes.

15. Indaface

Indaface Member

Have had it for a few months and my bills with it were lower compared to what I had with Direct Energy last year.

Haven't been through the summer months yet though.

16. Bäumer

Bäumer Contributing Member

I think it is pretty naive for people expect "free nights" to be completely free. Nothing is ever free. They have the free night and weekend programs to encourage off-peak use and still make a nice profit. People need to do the proper research and calculations to see if they will be better off with one of these free nights or weekends plans.

17. Ron from the G

Ron from the G Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Nice chart here on seasonal gas prices. Spoilered for size.