1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Eddie Griffin waived. Sign Him Up!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mordo, Mar 13, 2007.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Laugh it up Sammy - nothing wrong with my take.

I know the odds are against him having his stuff together, but if he does, he has some utilizable skills.

Now, if you ask me if I think we WILL sign him, my answer is no....

DD

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

really? since when can EG do those things?

3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sorry but driving your car while drunk and watching pr0n ain't a utilizable skill.

4. trea

trea Contributing Member

What mistake?

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

By "negative junk" do you mean the fact that he's not, nor has he ever been, a good basketball player?

Seriously, forget about his off the court problems. Forget about what we gave up to draft him. The guy CAN'T PLAY.

7. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

DD seems to think the NBA is one giant fantasy league that lives off potential talent.

8. DaDakota

EG can play, the problem with EG is all above the shoulders.

If he has matured, (note: not saying he has) he would be worth a discussion, that is all.

Truthfully, I can not think of one single case of a guy with major problems finally getting it together in basketball. I know Cris Carter did in football, but I can't recall anyone in the NBA coming off of drugs etc and becomming a good citizen and basketball player.

All I am saying....is it is worth a talk.....

DD

9. Mordo

Mordo Contributing Member

Rasheed Wallace was able to stay in control long enough for a Detroit playoff push. That was only with a squad full of some of the hardest workers in the NBA, led by Ben Wallace, though.

10. DaDakota

But Rasheed was a productive player already even with his problems. EG has never been a really productive player - even though he possesses all the skills necessary to do so....

EG has wasted his opportunities to date: He is still athletically gifted, if he somehow matured and became a man instead of a thug, he would be worth a low risk shot.

DD

11. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

An idea: switch the brains of EG and Ryan Bowen. That way, we could sign EG and watch him play smart, work hard and use his combination of skills and smarts to better the team.

P.S. How funny would it be seeing Rybo walking around in a doorag (spelling?)? haha

12. ima_drummer2k

:confused:

No, he doesn't.

No, he isn't.

13. DaDakota

Ima,

EG can play the game when motivated, but at the NBA level he has never been a consistent player.

IMHO, his problems all stem from his attitude and lack of work ethic.

If that changes, he would be worth a look at a low risk Vet minimum contract.....IMHO.

Not saying it will change...and probably WON'T change, but there are cases of people turning their life around......maybe it will happen for him.....

DD

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

if the Rockets sign him and JVG never plays him, you'll just blame JVG for not being able to develop EG into the monster 3 point shooting power forward that you covet. forget the fact that EG doesn't have the heart to work on his game. but that's Van Gundy's job to fix, right?

15. RiceDaddy7

RiceDaddy7 Member

Eddie Griffin is done end of story.

Now, Eddie Griffin the comedian......that guy's funny.

16. ima_drummer2k

What are you basing this assumption on? The 2001 college scouting report? The guy had 1 year of college and has done NOTHING on the NBA level.

He has a career .377 FG%, .315 3p% (where does everyone get the idea that he can shoot the 3?), 5.8 RPG and 7.2 PPG. And obviously his numbers have gone down across the board every year, which last time I checked isn't a good thing.

The only thing you're going on is potential. Potential runs out after a few years. The guy is not, has never been, and will never be an NBA player.

Should we look into signing Benoit Benjamin too?

17. DaDakota

I am certainly going on potential.....and the thought that if he got his act together he could realize that potential.

I do agree with you that he has not been a productive player. I am just saying that if he turns it around, we should take a look....nothing wrong with having a peek.

DD

18. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

Give eddie credit- he could shoot the three- and spread the floor - which I know Rudy loved. Dude was 6' 10" -and he could block a shot.

do you recall all of us celebrating EG's "block parties". We needed a big man so bad during that time- I thought we had stolen him. It was a risk, but who knew the guy would need to be babied along to be an NBA player???

Paying the guy the minimum would be a low risk venture. He can block a shot and Mr. Luther Head cannot.

It is at least worthwhile to talk to his agent......

19. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He shot 19% from behind the arc in 2006.

20. TBar

TBar Contributing Member

You remember that player (2 guard I think) for the Knicks- Chris Childs-chronic alchoholic who went through a twelve step program and became a productive consistent player- I realize this is a reach, but in some instances.....

I pose the question- did McHale buy out the contract to open a roster spot? Was there recent trouble? I remember the news report about him in the car, but anything involving substance abuse?

I was surprised his contraact amount was reported at 8.1 mil.....

It would be worthwhile at the minimum. Would he agree to go into a program? Could you make a ontract agreement with the CBA contingent on his sobriety and good behavior?