1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Easy pickup for a back up 4

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by stevel, Aug 24, 2005.

1. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

JYD was suprisingly cut by the Knicks, and I am pretty sure that we still have a 1.1 mil slot available. I think this guy would be a nice pickup. He brings alot of energy and D. He is also still being paid by the Kincks so money shouldn't be an issue. I know he wanted to stay in NY to do some community service, but maybe the lure of playing for a ring would be enough to bring him down. All they have to do is cut CWard and there's the roster spot. Even if they did do this deal I could still see a 2 for 1 coming near the beginning of the season to help clear the guard glut.

2. #1draftpik

#1draftpik Member

He's already announced his retirement and is going to be in the organization in some capacity.

3. stevel

stevel Contributing Member

Did he ever play for JVG? If so maybe JVG can work his ex-knick magic and get him to come on down. If we could talk him into playing he would be an excellent pick up.

4. #1draftpik

#1draftpik Member

Not that I remember

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php...lRUV5eTY3NDg5MDcmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk2

That's why Williams said he didn't explore any other playing opportunities following his release Monday, although he didn't rule out a comeback and said if the Knicks didn't release him, he'd be at training camp. The amnesty rule, however, forbids the Knicks from re-signing him until the end of his three-year contract.

He will do some scouting and broadcast work for the team and maintain an auto customizing business he opened in Brooklyn after just one season in New York in which he averaged 4.5 points and 3.6 rebounds.

He will also remain hands-on with the JYD Project in activities that include motivational speeches and concerts in area schools, elementary through high school, much as he said he did while playing in Detroit and Toronto.

Acquired from Chicago last off-season in the Jamal Crawford trade, Williams said he's far healthier now than he was last season, when knee problems and a torn tendon in his foot hampered him.

"I was looking forward to definitely contributing more this season because I'm definitely healthier than I was," he said. "But ... I told a lot of kids I was going to be back. That's where I sit right now. I'm not about to turn back and say, 'I got a call [to play elsewhere], I can't come.