1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight inside out or Harden n Lin dribble penetration

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by NotApollo33, May 30, 2013.

?

Dwight centric inside out vs Harden Lin dribble penetration pick n roll

1. High pick n roll + Run n gun + free lance + feed the hot hand

81 vote(s)
    69.8%
  2. Dwight inside out with 4 shooters on the perimeter and occasional pick n roll

35 vote(s)
    30.2%
  1. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Alright. So Dwight comes.

He doesnt like Dwight said he doesn't like Dantonis high pick n roll offense. He doesn't feel involved enough. He wants to be the no.1 option playing him n 4 outside shooters like a van Gundy offense.

Except. We play run n gun. We play pick n roll. We play free lance feed the hot hand. We have two top 5 pick n roll handlers (Moreys words not mine, #haterzgonehate), we have a top 5 small forward (yeah I said it) that can shoot the 3, handle or initiate the offense, dribble penetrate or move off the ball behind the baseline, we have a bunch of movers n shakers in DMo, TRob (maybe?) or TJones, great young players in an equal opportunity offense.

So now what. Dwight's a baby whose not gonna buy in if it means letting Parsons shoot his shots (how he thinks anyway, if he can't share with Kobe?).

Which offense will you take?

2. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Dwight said he doesn't like a PnR only offense (not he doesn't like PnR at all).

I think the answer to your poll is both.

We will have different line ups for different situations and different strategies for different teams.

The inside out and the PnR are not mutually exclusive. We will do an all of the above approach and maximise our offense.

3. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Harden Dwight free-throw fest

4. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

You can't have both.

A triangle offense is a triangle offense n bigs heavy.
    Dantonis offense is point guard heavy.
    Golden State is off ball screens perimeter shots
    N Memphis is ground n pound.

You have an identity n you can't just change your identity at will. Look at the Lakers. They talk all the time about getting the bigs involved.look how that turned out. You can't have it both ways.

5. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Or the knicks with Lin n Melo. Or Melo n Amare. Look at the moment amare step out on the floor the spacings completely broken. There's a reason for that. You can't have two offenses running at once. Lebron n Dwade were suppose to be stars together right? Wrong. Lebron takes Boshs post ups and now Wades averaging in the 10s in the playoffs n Bosh is taking 3 point shots.

One persons the focal point and everyone's second fiddle. Why did Memphis trade Rudy Gay? Why Lakers wanna trade Pau n Knicks wanna trade Amare?
    Because one person has to sacrifice or he's out. Dwight's 28. He's not gonna change. So now what?

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I take it you've never watched San Antonio play?

7. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

I take it ur comparing the Big Fundamental to someone with only athleticism n no big man skills?

8. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

not if you have a competent coach and a backcourt that doesn't demand the offense goes through them (kobe)

9. Patterned919

Patterned919 Member

A poor mans Kobe/Shaq duo with both players getting theres is my dream. The new premier guard/big man duo. But to be realistic, Howard's post game has a long way to go, and I don't expect Howard to put up more than 20-22 ppg honestly, but even that would be really nice considering what we have now. Best thing is that it gives us another option on those nights that Harden doesn't have it.

10. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Duncan
    - great passing big man
    - 18 footer is money, stretches the center out to the elbow
    - unselfish
    - experienced
    - now playing second fiddle to Tony Parker

Dwight
    - cant even shoot free throws
    - no post up game except the running jump hook (rarely goes baseline, no fadeaway, no moves whatsoever)
    - worst passing big man
    - selfish
    - immature
    - never played under a Popovich sort of coach

11. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

OK. Then I say we run as much as possible with Dwight and Asik hoovering the boards and outlet to trigger the break.

No more free styling and much more set plays after having training camp this year. Set plays could be quick high PnRs with Harden/Howard or Lin/Howard if defense is slow getting set. Half court sets should include 3 touches a quarter for Dwight in the low post (12 touches a game). In that style, if the double him, you kick it to the corners or drop it off to a cutter on the weak side.

I'd like our style to be defined similar to the Spurs. A team that likes to run but can execute very well, especially down the stretch. A team that plays "team defense" and funnels players to our defensive strengths (twin towers).

Which option should I choose in the poll?

12. coffeelover665

It's quite hard to speculate right now. They can fail, or they can create a whole new offense that we have never seen before. Lets just wait and see

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Option 1 is contested jump shots, turnover prone and inefficient since we don't have pick and pop mid range big men.

Option 2 is open shooter shooting open shots.

I'll take 2

14. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

HAHA I just finished typing my reply and saw you beat me to the punchline!

San Antonio is the perfect model for our team. Great run and gun team who are also perfect in half court execution. You can have both styles and if you do master both half court and run 'n gun you could have success for a long long time.

15. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Can't. Asik can't shoot n neither can Dwight.

Memphis works because Randolph's in the low post n Marc's in the high post. Both can pass. Marc can just hover near the elbow n knock down everything in sight. Randolph's big n got post moves.

Neither Asik nor Dwight can shoot. Both terrible passers. Neither have post moves. They are just gonna be clogging up the pain. If Dwight can't play with Pau how's he gonna play with Asik.

16. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Harden ISO FTW.

1 person likes this.
  17. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Shaq n Kobe is a triangle system. A fixed system in place by the greatest coach in the world. Everyone movement without the ball. All controlled by the ZEN master.

McHale who doesn't even draw up plays? The biggest ball hog when he was playing himself. I mean I don't see him with a solution dude to this problem.

18. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

You can easily have both. You cannot run a pick and roll every play, and you cannot post up every play. Sometimes plays break down and you have to have a go to play, but at the same time you have to have mulitple plays in general. I'm sure we're going to be more of a big man team, but at the end of games we will not be going through Dwight.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

One things for sure, Iso ball wont be preferable.

If your going to keep Asik and play them on the court at the same time alot, I think you need to start looking at bringing back the corner sets as a way to bring Asik away from the basket, and free up the perimeter players for easier looks as the offense might become more congested.

If your going to either NOT play Asik & Howard on the court at the same time(most likely), or Asik is going to be traded(likely but further down the road), you play the same style of basketball as you do now.

Howard says he doesn't like P&R, but its something he's going to have to get used to if he wants to play with a dynamic perimeter scorer who attacks the basket.

The nice thing about playing this style is Dwight would still have the ability to post up him man occasionally, and he would get many, many easy dunks at the rim due to dribble penetration. Its a more free style of play with surrounding players that fit the system much better than you saw with LA.

Most likely, you will see them play the same style of play unless they want to incorporate Asik & Howard on the court together at the same time. Then, I would say, its worth it to explore with some corner sets to bring Asik away from the basket.... and you better hope he develops enough offensively to make the offense come out and guard him.

20. loveofthegame44

I think the important thing is to have the option to do both. having a consistent post option would make our offense much better. the reason he didn't feel involved on the high pick a roll because the players never passed him the ball on the roll. if he is consistently getting hammer dunks like omer was then he will be happy. Passing the ball to the post will get the opp team in penalty much quicker allowing our penetration to cause havoc.