1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight Howard wants trade to Brooklyn by draft night

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by desi tmac91, Jun 21, 2012.

1. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Lock if already posted, I don't think I've seen it posted anywhere yet.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--magic-to-hire-okc-s-rob-hennigan-as-new-gm.html

Bad time to be pushing for a deal to the Nets, most of their players are going to be free agents and I don't think they even have the means to match his contract. With the hiring of a new GM, I'm supposing trade negotiations will soon begin in the coming days and with Brooklyn crippled for the time being and someone like the Lakers and rental teams (Golden State and Houston) would have a distinct advantage. This is assuming that the Dwight saga won't outlast past the draft, which I seriously doubt.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's sad when players themselves don't know what's best for them.

3. jbasket

jbasket Member

Sometimes i feel like Dwight Howard is the most selfish superstar in the league. Yes, more selfish than Lebron.

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Brook Lopez + Morrow + MarShon Brooks + string, wire and chewing gum for Howard. It'll get done somehow. Maybe not before the draft. I have a hard time seeing a trade to the Warriors or Rockets actually happening unless D-Will signs on the dotted line with a team besides the Nets.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Why does clutch fans care so much about Dwight Howard?

He does not want you, the Rockets, Rocketfandom, the city of Houston, to be a big fish in a small pond (Orlando all over again), or etc.

6. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

^This is in the dish. :confused:

Yeah, it's over. I would be scared to "rent" him at this point.

7. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I guess I can see why Howard would want to play with Deron. They're about the same age (one year apart.) Howard finished his 8th year in the league (already), and Deron Williams has already logged 7 years in the league. So I guess they could grow old together.

The last time Deron was healthy for a full season? 07/08.

He's not a bad player at all, and he presumably has 4-5 years left, at least of 20 PER type ball, and his ~3 A/TO ratio.

8. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Can the Nets S&T Lopez in the deal on draft night, because he is restricted?

Howard to Brooklyn seems like it's inevitable. Called it.

I think Clutch Fans cared so much about Howard because he is the one Morey went all in for. He skipped on Anthony for Dwight. That, and there really isn't any star that's attainable. It seems like the Rockets will have problems defending the post for the next few years.

9. Garner

Garner Member

If he wanted to play for Brooklyn, why didn't he hit the free agent market and sign with the Nets?

Instead, he's going to incurr more bad press and if he gets his wish, strip the Nets of the remaining bones they have.

10. jacoby

jacoby Member

Brooklyn is going to regret trading that #6 pick.

If Dwight truly wants to go to Brooklyn and win, he wouldn't want to be traded there. He has a year left on his contract before he can outright sign with them without the team losing valuable pieces like Brooks, Morrow, or Lopez. In other words, Brooklyn shouldn't do what the Knicks did.

PG: Deron Williams
    SG: ???
    SF: ???
    PF: ???
    C: Dwight Howard

Second round exit at best.

11. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

Money.

12. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

He's the Lakers' if they cough up Andrew Bynum plus some smaller assets (future picks) and maybe take back a contract. The Nets have very little to offer: their pick this year is gone to Portland and Brook Lopez is a free agent.

A package of MarShon Brooks (a very good young player but not worth Dwight Howard) + a sign and trade for Brook Lopez is hot garbage. Maybe if it was the trade deadline but in the offseason teams are able to construct MUCH better trade offers than that.

13. ramsandcards

ramsandcards Member

Calling Houston a "small pond" is ignorant at best and r****ded at worst.

Which is it?

1 person likes this.
  14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

A Dwight Howard to Brooklyn deal is pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to make on draft night or before the draft.

Specifically, their total 2011-12 salary is roughly $56.6 million. This is their salary for the purpose of making a trade any time before July 1, 2012 (or rather before the end of the moratorium period 10 days later).

However, the only contracts that they can trade are ones with guaranteed years left in 2012-13 and beyond. For example, they cannnot include Brook Lopez or Kris Humphries in a trade. Similarly, for guys with player options on the deal (Deron Williams, Gerald Wallace and Jordan Farmar), they cannot be traded unless and until they pick up that player option.

So, right now, the only players eligible to be traded are Marshon Brooks, Jordan Williams, Anthony Morrow and Johan Petro. Together they make $8.7 million, well short of what is required for salary matching purposes to eat Dwight Howard's $18 million contract.

Among the three guys with player options, Deron Williams and Gerald Wallace already said they'll decline the option. Farmar might pick up his option-- though I think he opts out, too, in order to pursue a muti-year deal. Also, he only makes $4 million, which, combined with the $8.8 million combined made by the 4 other eligible guys, is still (a little) short of what is required for salary matching purposes.

So, the only way they get a deal done is wait until sometime in July, so the Nets either has the cap room to make unbalanced-contract trades or can include the likes of Brook Lopez in a S&T.

My gut feeling is that Brooklyn's package may still not be enough to outbid that of another team, or even a "rental" team. Lopez is the most valuable piece there and the word is that Orlando doesn't really want him (for good reason, I think, his rebounding # and injury scare me). The Nets also don't have any draft picks with which Orlando can start a rebuilding effort.

Anyhow, I wonder if the way the Rockets play this is to trade some of their players or picks (or a combination) for the highest lotto pick that they can get, and then include that pick in a package to Orlando. Can 14th+16th get you the 7th pick from GSW? What pick can you get for Kyle Lowry?

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

1... Because Dwight is or was TOP 5 recently and a very legit superstar and crybaby

2...Houston is a bigger pond than Orlando, not by very much.....

You have to groom your own superstar so it seems, he may bolt but he'll owe you his development and that amounts to good years

16. smr6

smr6 Member

While I agree, I do think that a lot of these superstars in the different sports don't realize just how big of a city that Houston is. I think they only see a small sample when they are here for games and never get to see the full extent and that gets ingrained in their minds.

By all accounts we have the right pieces to be a tempting destination for all sports especially with out real estate market and our taxes, however it doesnt happen for one reason or another.

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Compared to New York, LA, or Chicago, especially talking about NBA franchises.

18. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

He won't play for Orlando and he won't play for Houston. The last thing Rockets fans want to hear is another star player is "injured, out for season".

No team wants to touch Howard right now except for the Nets. He's scared away all other teams. Orlando has two options: (1) Call his bluff and take the chance that he walks for less money, or (2) Trade him for whatever the Nets have to offer. All Lopez needs to hear is no state income tax and he will be for being traded to Orlando.

19. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Exactly and in Howard's case HE DOESN'T WANT TO PLAY HERE. I don't know what mixed messages he's sent about that...never mentioning Houston as a possible destinations and was rumored to turn down a trade to (either) Houston or Golden State ... finding himself staying in the tumultuous circus called the Orlando Magic.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Then it is only LA or New York...

Chicago without Rose is not that attractive

New York and LA had history of success but they also harbored two of the worst franchises not long ago

It's all relative.....It's either the glam world or the headquarters of Nike, Adidas or other sponsors ....