1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Durant to take less money

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Jul 3, 2017.

1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Man, I've never seen a player so willing to take a pay cut for the sole purpose of putting money in a billionaires pocket. There is zero incentive for him to take less, they have no actual restrictions.

Igudodala wants more money. We could give it to him ourselves, but we would rather have you pay him a portion of your salary.

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Durant in Houston next summer :D

Jokes aside, if he still signs for one year, that leaves the door open for him to eventually leave for whatever reason.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

With the tax the way it is, there is a huge incentive for teams and players to make under the table payments and split the tax savings

4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

That was not the "sole purpose" for him taking less money. The main reason he took a cut last year was so the Warriors would re-sign Iggy and Livingston. This year, maybe there is an agreement Lacob would use the MLE with the money KD leaves on the table.

I respect KD for giving up money to improve their team. Maybe Would have been good if Harden had done this for the Rockets.

Asian Sensation and PDJACK7 like this.
  5. Sajan

Sajan Member

Call me crazy but I don't these star players are taking less money. Maybe on paper..but somehow they are getting it back in their pockets funneled through other deals.

RyanB, CALI_MOST_WANTD and Nook like this.
  6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

They had their bird rights, they could have paid them, and paid Durant the full max.

If this were the NFL with a hard cap, then sure there is a reason it's noble to take a paycut for the better of the team, in the NBA not so much.

7. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

He was sticking out his chest during the year about how he wasn’t going to take another discount because they will start to take advantage of him. Then they treat him like the red headed stepchild at their championship parade and he decides to role over like a little b**** once again.......smh.

RyanB, Erbnwarfare, BigMaloe and 4 others like this.
  8. Not_KDs_Burner

Sorry guys. KD too unselfish. All about winning. Team player unlike Lebron. Goat.

9. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Ok now I really hope the FBI investigates what the hell is going on in Oakland. All these players sacraficing not just a couple million but millions of dollars in one of the most expensive places to live? Something is up!

RyanB likes this.
  10. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

Lmbo. It's funny reading some of these comments. For months I've been hearing and reading how Chris Paul should take a pay cut/a little less to help the team, but now that Durant has or is going to do just that, it's a problem. He wants to win at all cost, literally. I salute that

Asian Sensation and xaos like this.
  11. xaos

xaos Member

Even though Durant's move to GSW was a B move, I respect his team mentality here. He has a huge hole to climb out of in order for me to like him and I doubt he'll after do that at GSW. But, this is a respectable move in order to keep the other pieces together

Not_KDs_Burner and PDJACK7 like this.
  12. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

This. I don't think I will ever be a fan of his again, but you have to respect someone that will give away millions to win. Taking less to keep the core together and to add pieces is what we wish all the stars, especially the ones in Houston, would do.

13. Jack0153

Jack0153 Member

As much as I HATE Durant for going to the warriors..... he's sacrificing money to keep the team together because the sole purpose is to WIN.

First of all I'll say that it was a snake move to go to the warriors just to assure himself that he would win a championship and I was livid with that decision he made. But on the sole aspect of keeping a great team together when your teammates want money, then taking the paycut is a smart move.

If Lebron wanted to win more, then he would definitely take a paycut to get himself great players around him since they would want a lot of money. But when Durant is doing so, he gets criticized for taking a paycut so that he can keep those great players around him so that he can win more. Why not criticize Lebron for not wanting to take a paycut to win more? Now we'll first see if Lebron will take a HUGE PAYCUT and come here to soley win which I HIGHLY doubt.

If he just wants to ride it out while getting bank, let him do it. Durant is smart taking a paycut so that the organization can pay their players rather than them going somewhere else.

PDJACK7 likes this.
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

But Lacob wasn't going to pay them. Iggy made it clear he was walking if they didn't pony up. So the bottom line is the Warriors did not save money. They used the savings to retain two key players.

Clearly there is a reason to take a pay cut for the better of the team in the NBA. LeBron did it in Miami; KD is doing it at GS. Championships resulted.

15. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

He is not giving away millions just to win. He is giving away millions to not have to feel the pressure of carrying the load on his shoulders.

He is the ultimate coward.

This is just another cowardly move in his list of cowardly moves.

CALI_MOST_WANTD, bulkatron and J.R. like this.
  16. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The average tech person might be making 300k. The average NBA player is making 8+ mil. That isn't even in the same stratosphere.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

No player should take paycut. Not CP3, not kd, not lebron. It screws up the whole league. Now they can go out and get DJ. They don't need 4 all starts. They need 5. Its ridiculous.

18. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

He's such a champion. Giving away millions after winning 2 trophies, with the only threat being a Houston Rocket team.

I just wish he'd give that hair some integrity. With all that money, and JVG's haircut looks majestic in comparison.

I'm sorry--that was rude. I take it back. One day.

19. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

No need bro - KD deserves our scorn lol

Zboy likes this.
  20. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Call me cynical, but is there no chance he is getting the money a sneaky way??

RyanB likes this.