1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Durant to take less money

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by justtxyank, Jul 3, 2017.

1. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

KD's contract is now the best bargain in the NBA.

justtxyank likes this.
  2. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

He won FMVP by unanimous acclaim. He drove the team to the championship. Its silly to say that a FMVP was "carried".

split41 and red5rocket like this.
  3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

The first 3-peat team was so good that they won 50+ without Jordan. Use whatever term you like. Neither won jack when they weren't playing on arguably the most talented team in basketball.

If it's ok for Magic and Kareem to play almost a whole decade together I really don't care who plays with who. All players with a bunch of rings had a bunch of help.

split41 likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Winning awards is completely irrelevant. He joined a team that just broke the NBA record for wins in a regular season so that they'd carry his ass to a championship because he'd always been a failure as a top star. The fact that he was successful in being carried to that championship changes nothing and it's clear that he's just the guy in the gimp suit given that they forced him to take a pay cut just to stay on the team while giving others the max. They know he's not "the guy", he knows he's not "the guy", all he cares about is taking credit for being carried to championships, he's the new Phil Jackson only he's a player.

6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Iggy and Parker beg to differ

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

This settling for less money is circumventing the purpose of the rule. I guess nobody expected that, but salaries have inflated so quickly that one can get by on only 25 million dollars.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Durant carried those two to the title....Klay and Draymond shot like rubbish in the Finals

Without Durant, i reckon the Cavs would have won again

he proved himself by dominating

red5rocket and FearTheBeardJH like this.
  10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

unselfish from a financial standpoint but EXTREMELY selfish in so many other ways. He won't even let it be fair. **** this guy. He is straight up ruining and killing the nba parity for millions of people.

the salary cap was put into place assuming that guys would go for money so that no team can horde all the talent. He is completely ******** on that.

gatsby, BigMaloe, IvanLCPM and 4 others like this.
  11. TracywtFacy

TracywtFacy Member

How he gonna feed his family now...

split41 and ghettocheeze like this.
  12. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

I think that in future, this is the model for how superteams will be formed and maintained. Players take discounts to build the superteam and win championships. Championships leads to higher profile and mega-endorsement deals. Mega-endorsement deals more than dwarf the sacrifice of on-court salary.

In effect, Nike, Adidas, etc will be underwriting superteams and in effect circumventing salary caps.

Ozzy and ghettocheeze like this.
  13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Kevin "The Servant" Durant saving his billionaire owner a few million

francis 4 prez likes this.
  14. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Hasn't Nike already agreed to pay the difference when Durant moved to the Bay Area?

Sure, this might seem generous on the surface to help Durant rehab his image, but I would never trust a snake.

I bet this is a 1+1 deal like LeBron. Durant wins a few more rings then bails like LeBron to fix his legacy.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Durant took the Betamax contract

jayydela, BigMaloe, TheFreak and 2 others like this.
  16. celebrevida

celebrevida Member

Its not a few million. Its several tens of millions when you factor in "super" luxury tax.

I'm thinking that the owners, Iguodala and Durant all had a good understanding of the cap and luxury tax implications and worked together on it. So the owners probably had a hard line of not going into super luxury tax and said they'd probably have to let Iguodala walk rather than pay super luxury tax. And then Durant seems to be saying, I'll partly pay for his salary so you can still be under super luxury tax territory.

If the owners were dead set on not going into super-luxury territory and this was made known, then in effect Durant is paying Iguodala to stay.

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

It's a continuation of rebuilding his legacy. If/when they roll off another 2-3 championships historians and writers will cite The Sacrifice of Summer 2017 as the point where a dynasty was created because Kevin Durant was so selfless.

Trust me, that's the narrative that will play out from now until when the Warriors finally break up. Hell it's getting full blast right now on social media and media outlets.

18. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Per Bobby Marks @ ESPN, because Durant signed for less than what he could have signed for he saved the GSW about 20 million in the tax bill. You have to sort of appreciate the fact that he only signed for one year with a player option for the next year (as injury insurance I'm sure), I bet there's a slight chance if George ends up staying in OKC and Russ signs an extension Durant has the option of going back next season.

Kudos to Durant for being a team player, Curry could have taken a few million less too to help the team out but who really cares. Owners who are willing to pay the Luxury Tax repeatedly are showing they are more committed to take risks to win over the cheaper owners (OKC) who would rather save a few million and cap flexibility than give max deals to worthy players.

19. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Welp.

He just set a very very bad precedent.

20. OTMax

OTMax Member

He basically just made sure his move to golden state will not have the consequences it should have when big time players join a team like the Warriors. It's all about image