1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Duncan & Hollinger Top 10 Draft Rankings & Discussion

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, Jun 21, 2023.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Nothing too exciting here, but just in case you wanted more debate-fodder for this clump of guys starting at #3 in the draft as we get ready to make the pick.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/5TOcu1San6I90OTV7cvkqB?si=f4638ffa4f344156

Victor Wembanyama
    JH: 1
    ND: 1
    Avg: 1
    Scoot Henderson
    JH: 2
    ND: 2
    Avg: 2
    Cam Whitmore
    JH: 3
    ND: 7
    Avg: 5
    Amen Thompson:
    JH: 6
    ND: 3
    Avg: 4.5

Brandon Miller:
    JH: 4
    ND: 4
    Average: 4

Anthony Black
    JH: 5
    ND: 8
    Average: 6.5

Ausar Thompson
    JH: 7
    ND: 5
    Average: 6

Taylor Hendricks
    JH: 9
    ND: 6
    Avg: 7.5

Grady Dick
    JH: 11
    ND: 8
    Avg: 9.5

Jarace Walker
    JH: 12
    ND: 11
    Average: 11.5

Dereck Lively
    JH: 8
    ND: Did not rank

Kobe Bufkin
    JH: 10
    ND: Did not rank

#1 napalm06, Jun 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Interesting how Miller is 4th on both their boards with different prospects at 3.

3. JusBleezy

JusBleezy Contributing Member

Interesting list. Jarace at 11/12? Now I think that's crazy, but alright.

BamBam and napalm06 like this.
  4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And my man Lively is moving even further up....

DD

5. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I think I'm on the Amen train now. Other than Scoot or Wemby he has the most superstar potential and that's all I care about. The body, athleticism, playmaking, and defense will all translate 100%. Needs to add those Ja-esque floaters and leaders to his arsenal on top of shooting but can be special if he does. Danny Chau from the Ringer called him Ricky Rubio in Shawn Marion's body. It's just a shame he wasted 2 years of his life in a YMCA but the upside is enough for me to pick him over what we have left.

joshuaao, csnerd84, JusBleezy and 2 others like this.
  6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Hollinger’s ratings always overvalue youth. Duncan has actual scouting skills that are rare amongst the eye test guys. You can trust what he says.

burlesk, OremLK, J Sizzle and 2 others like this.
  7. napalm06

They disagreed on the attainability of Whitmore & Amen's ceilings. They agreed that Miller is "fine" and doesn't have a high ceiling. So Miller goes in the top 4 if you want a "fine" pick and not a "YOLO" pick.

8. napalm06

My opinion is meaningless, but all of the Amen conversation reminds me too much of one infamous Ben Simmons. Everyone always WANTS the guy that is top 1% athleticism but can't shoot to become something they never become. The NBA has dozens of very high profile examples. :(

If we end up drafting Amen, sure whatever. At 4, my hopes will stay low, and maybe that's a good thing. Drafting a player is a lot better than paying them $40M/year.

#8 napalm06, Jun 21, 2023
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2023
  9. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think I've begrudgingly accepted Amen as the pick. The bust potential is high and his shot looks broken but he would work well next to Jalen as a big PG if he pans out.

Caesar and napalm06 like this.
  10. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Ben Simmons was an all nba 3rd team player in his 4th year and one if the best defenders in the NBA. Reggie Miller made all NBA 3rd twice in his whole career and he's considered top 75 all time. The archetype is not hopeless. Ben's mental issues are an anomaly the level of Derrick Rose's injuries and shouldn't factor into the assessment of any other prospect. Amen seems like a grounded, rational person so I don't see how he could end up like Ben.

burlesk, theDude, JusBleezy and 4 others like this.
  11. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ben Simmons also developed some kind of mental issue and a phobia of shooting. It seems like Amen likes to fire away even if the shot is jacked. :D

ipaman and JusBleezy like this.
  12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yes - this.

If Ben Simmons had slightly more of an 'attack the rim' mentality, there would be no debate about him being a perennial all-star.

burlesk and Yung-T like this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

My final Top 4 Mock (06/21/23)

#1 Wemby
    #2 Scoot
    #3 Amen
    #4 Brandon Miller

But I'm a fan of Houston obtaining any or all of Cam Whitmore, Jarace, Lively

B-Bob and xaos like this.
  14. napalm06

Oh jeez. I regret opening this can of worms again. At least the Rockets never traded for him. I'll just be content with that.

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I think amen has a legit chance to go 3 , but I’m also so scared of him on the rockets . Crazy high potential, pretty far away

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I certainly didn't want him! I don't like guys who can't shoot in a sport where shooting is quite important.

Just saying, his skill level wasn't questionable, just his brain. If Amen is a shorter, more aggressive version - how bad would that be?

burlesk, B-Bob and napalm06 like this.
  17. napalm06

Fair enough! If the scouting staff sees something in Amen, they know more than me!

burlesk and DrNuegebauer like this.
  18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I think the chance that Miller falls to 4 is much higher than the chance Scoot does. Portland drafting Sharpe last year showed that 1.) they’re willing to take a high flier on a non-collegiate athlete based on upside alone; and 2.) they’re just giving Dame lip service at this point about trying to contend and rebuild at the same time. It also helped them that Sharpe “panned out”, or at least he has given his low expectations going in and media perceptions which are more highlight reel based than a deep dive into his analytical performance and long term potential.

Last year should teach us to be completely open to unexpected possibilities. All we know is that three players are being taken before we go.

BaselineFade likes this.
  19. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

On the other hand, there's a big difference between taking that kind of risk at #7 and doing it again a year later with pick #3. Plus, who knows what the hell Portland is doing?

That said, I too think there is a good chance we end up with Miller at #4.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  20. napalm06

I don't see any way Scoot falls to 4. That's why we were all so gutted at the lottery.

Like Duncan & Hollinger said: "the point guard of a professional team at 18". That's exactly what the Rockets are missing most. IT HURTS.

burlesk and TimDuncanDonaut like this.