1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft tiebreakers and possible picks for the Rockets

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by JT, May 10, 2000.

1. JT

JT Member

Check out this article at NBA.com.
    http://www.nba.com/news/draft_tiebrekers_000428.html

It lists the tiebreakers for teams with identical records in the NBA draft. More importantly it shows the possible picks that could be conveyed to the Rockets this year. Although it may be unlikely for the Rockets to get any of these picks it does provide fodder for the imagination.

4 possiblilities in the first 13 picks plus the possibilities at the 14th and 25th picks. Couldn't just one of these fall in to the Rockets' laps?

------------------

[This message has been edited by JT (edited May 10, 2000).]

2. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

Thanks JT. Man, Orlando may be getting a lot of picks, but they owe a lot of picks too. I'll be very interested to see how they handle this.

I wonder why we owe Detroit a pick? How did that happen?

Orlando, Detroit, Vancouver, and Phoenix all owe us first rounders. That's quite a few. And we owe Vancouver.

3. JT

JT Member

Actually all of those teams don't necessarily owe the Rockets a pick. Some of them owe a pick to a team that owes the Rockets a pick. If they give up that pick it could be conveyed to the Rockets to fulfill the obligation of the team that owes us the pick.

------------------

4. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Our pick could go to Detroit VIA Vancouver (we owe them a pick). And we could get a pick from Vancouver via Detroit. Same with Phoenix...via Orlando

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

5. Rocket Guard

Rocket Guard Member

I think you are not totally correct nikestrad.Vancouver actually owes us a first rounder from the francis trade,detroit owes us one from the turkan trade with philly and orlando also owes us from the francis trade(garbage we sent them) so we have 3 first rounders more in the next few years.

------------------
    NEVER underestimate the heart of a champion!!!

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

It seems like the rockets are forced to trade one of their draft picks, but everyone that owes the rockets can trade any draft pick.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

7. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

I don't believe that Vancouver owes us a pick, I know we owe them one. The Detroit and Orlando picks are correct.

------------------

8. Rocket Guard

Rocket Guard Member

I dont know if I am correct,thats just what I understood.I heard the did a swap of picks,they give us theirs and we give them ours.

------------------
    NEVER underestimate the heart of a champion!!!

9. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Here is the trade, off the Player page of Steve Francis.

Selected by the Vancouver Grizzlies in the first round (second pick overall) of the 1999 NBA Draft. Draft rights traded by the Grizzlies along with F Tony Massenburg to the Houston Rockets as part of three-way deal in which the the Grizzlies received G Michael Dickerson, F/C Othella Harrington, G Brent Price, F/C Antoine Carr and a future first-round draft choice from the Rockets, Rockets received F Don MacLean and a future first-round draft choice from the Orlando Magic, and the Magic received G Michael Smith, G/F Rodrick Rodes, G Lee Mayberry and F Makhtar Ndiaye from the Grizzlies on 8/27/99.

Vancouver gets a first rounder from Houston. Houston gets a first rounder from Orlando.

------------------