1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Doomsday clock' ticks closer to apocalyptic midnight

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rashmon, Jan 25, 2018.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

@paleincubus @fchowd0311 and the other folks who believe in this clock made by the smartest scientists should stop paying their bills, give up their worldly possessions, etc...

i won't because all this is scientists nerds who have a hard on for end of the world propaganda that's no different those 2nd coming evangelicals those scientists make fun of.

2. Buck Turgidson

They are not just that, for ****'s sake! Can you read?

You have a Trumpian inability to admit when you are wrong or misinformed.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Who exactly is an “expert” on the threats of nuclear weapons to this planet? The guys in Washington? The weapons makers who make billions on selling this stuff?

Maybe none of us are experts, so we should just not discuss the threat at all.

B-Bob likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was just going on what was said, I don't personally care one way or the other, if you remember I said

That really should have been the end of it, but for whatever reason you didn't want to let it go and you posted something talking about how they were "Atomic Scientists".....which means that they are speaking about things outside their area of expertise. Now you are claiming that they are not just atomic scientists....which is it? Why do you hate logic so much?

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Humanity: geared to bicker and attack one another endlessly as long as they don't have to discuss serious problems.

Deckard likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Those science nerds you speak of have the capability of packaging the computational power of 1000 1980 super computers into a device that fits in your hand and has enough thermal efficiency to not need a single fan or water cooling system.

What have evangelism brought us? What have you brought us? Do you think someone who's accomplished being engineer might have obtained higher critical thinking skills than you, an individual with absolutely no higher level skill sets?

Genuine question. In your entire existence, what is the most challenging problem you ever solved?

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I can't see them but I see that the usual suspects are here...this is for them. Granted, this was before they moved the clock to 2 minutes...

Introduction: Good news in perilous times
    John Mecklin

Because it is the keeper of the Doomsday Clock, the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists is occasionally (if quite wrongly) accused of fear-mongering. The magazine, its editors, and its authors could more accurately be charged with hope-mongering, having for more than 70 years aggressively pushed the idea that humans can control the technology they create and use it for the benefit of humanity, rather than its destruction. We are mongering that hope again, very purposely, with this special issue.

To illustrate how technologies now in relatively advanced stages of research and development really could significantly change the world for the better, the Bulletin asked top experts across a variety of relevant fields to explain the success stories they have seen around the world. They saw this:

• A world revolution in energy technology that has put the prospect of mass use of battery-powered electric vehicles within reach, heralding, potentially, a vast reduction in the greenhouse gas emissions that drive climate change.

• New ways of detecting radiation sources at distance, offering the possibility, in the not too distant future, of significantly improved monitoring of countries seeking nuclear weapons and of terrorists bent on acquiring and using them.

• A gene-editing tool known as Crispr that can be used to address some of humanity’s most significant challenges, including cancer, infectious disease, antibiotic resistance, and pollution.

• An approaching transformation in food production via “cellular agriculture,” which would culture meat and other agricultural products in a bioreactor rather than harvest them from livestock, producing more food on less land than ever before – even as environmental impacts are reduced.
    Make no mistake: We live in perilous times. By our metaphorical Doomsday Clock, it is two and a half minutes to midnight, and our Science and Security Board will revisit the matter at the end of January. There are far too many nuclear weapons in the world. Climate change is not being addressed with the speed or on the scale it could and should be. For that matter, many of the technologies referenced in this issue might be used in malign ways.

But I know it is within the capacity of human beings to manage the technologies they invent. Just look at the ingenuity, the drive, the ambition – the extraordinary beauty – evident in what they invent. Just look.

Disclosure statement
    No potential conflict of interest was reported by the author.

Additional information
    Author information
    John Mecklin

John Mecklin is the editor in chief of the Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists.

mdrowe00 and Torn n Frayed like this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

not the most challenging buy my most impressive, dealing with trolls

9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

10. Buck Turgidson

Hilarious. I said no such thing.

Carry on with the crawfishing.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Here's your exact quote Bucko

"Ugh. Literally the first line from their Mission Statement begins: The Bulletin of the Atomic Scientists engages science leaders, policy makers..."

You said this in response to this

"It's either a group of nuclear physicists and rocket scientists weighing in on things outside their area of expertise or it's not a group of nuclear physicists and rocket scientists."

How did you intend your statement to be taken? That you were agreeing that it wasn't a group of "Atomic Scientists" or that you were agreeing that it was a group of "Atomic Scientists" weighing in on things outside their area of expertise? One way or the other, you had to be agreeing with me....despite trying to claim you weren't.

12. Buck Turgidson

It's not my fault you don't know what the term "policy" refers to.

Why are you so hellbent on all-or-nothing?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I see you didn't answer the question.....I suppose I shouldn't be surprised.

14. Buck Turgidson

I have no idea why you're arguing this. It's ok to be wrong. I could not care less about the atomic clock in the grand scheme of things, but your blatant bullsh!tery is grating. That's the only reason I got posted at you. Cheers.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You have't even stated what you think is wrong....and you are still avoiding answering the question.....so you will have to understand if I struggle to take what you are doing now seriously. I mean, you might as well just be drooling because you are not effectively communicating. If you work with me, I can help you, but you'll have to try.

The best place to start is by answering the question. Till you do that, nothing else you say will have any validity.

To explain this further, in order to cover all bases and have the best chance for you following along, when someone asks which is true, A or B, with A and B being the only 2 possibilities and you answer "you're wrong"....it makes you look kind of dumb. If you wish to argue which you think it is, A or B, then do so but just saying "no" or "you're wrong" is not a valid answer.

Got it? Awesome. Best of luck.

#55 Bobbythegreat, Jan 28, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yes, there is lots of room to argue, but the dreaded word "liberal" is misplaced in a lot of this. Knowing very many atomic scientists (and other members of that group), a great many of them are conservatives: old school Reagan type conservatives. I realize those people are completely unrecognizable to today's main "conservatives," but that does not make them all "liberal." Heaven forbid.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Why couldn't there be one person in the audience with a party popper

B-Bob likes this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Getting people to think about themselves and the consequences of their actions is so Liberal!

Such smug worldliness!

Arrogant snobs:rolleyes: