1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[DOOMED] Scientists Release Controversial Genetically Modified Mosquitoes In High-Security Lab

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Oct 21, 2019.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

The Germans have come up with a plan that doesn't involve the same environmental risk and are currently working in labs as we speak to develop enormous gigantic hands to squash all mosquitoes carrying malaria.

boomboom likes this.
  3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Did they say that Jukes never actually study DDT? I think I'm team Wurster in that debate lol.

Are you actually arguing for DDT or was your original post tongue in cheek with this just being an interesting article about a famous debate? I'm sorry I can't tell.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

@Jontro might be interested in those hands if the Germans can come up with a way to attach them to the end of his arms. Not for squishing bugs, though.

Jontro likes this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

actually DDT has saved millions of lives, the environmental effects (eggshell thinning and the like) were the result of indiscriminate aerial spraying over large tracts of land. Focused, indoor spraying continues to be the weapon of choice for fighting malaria.

6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What's your opinion on it being banned in the vast majority of countries?

7. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I've listed to a few podcasts where scientists talked about this to stop the spread of diseases such as Malaria. Most of them say to do it. I don't buy it. I'm far removed from the risks of contracting malaria, but seems like it could have many more unforeseen consequences, obviously one of which is the food chain.

And from a more philosophical point of view, if we have the chance to stop all diseases, should we?

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Wat.

Yung-T likes this.
  9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's a question with an easy answer, at least from me. Of course.

Yung-T and ThatBoyNick like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I honestly don't know how that can even come across as a question to someone. Certainly not one from a "philosophical point of view".

Deckard and Yung-T like this.
  11. SemisolidSnake

Disney/Marvel trying to create fully-controlled arthropod-bitten superhero.

12. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

13. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that's fine, if countries can afford the alternatives. There are roughly a dozen countries (e.g., India) where it is still in use, and again residual indoor spraying is very effective as a means of control

14. Xerobull

Not waxing treehugger here, but proliferation of bats and chickens is pretty effective mosquito control. When I went to Key West, where Chickens are protected, I didn’t see a single mosquito. They eat a pound of bugs a day.

15. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Should we all be able to live forever? Isn't Death a part of Life? Aren't hardships including overcoming disease, succumbing to disease, or being affected by disease (i.e. family/friends/etc.) a part of this? No one wants that for himself, but trials are what makes us.

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

you might have missed all the discussion over the years about destroying the very last smallpox virus samples

https://www.nature.com/scitable/blog/microbe-matters/to_destroy_or_to_not/
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scie...ving-samples-virus-causes-smallpox-180951321/
    https://www.the-scientist.com/opini...stocks-are-too-valuable-to-be-destroyed-57712

17. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

one of the classic philosophical papers on immortality is Bernard Williams's paper on the Makropulos case. Williams argued that if we lived forever we would (not) die of boredom from the tedium of immortality

https://wmpeople.wm.edu/asset/index/cvance/williams

18. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I'll check that out later.
    I do know that Frankl (Man's Search for Meaning) does argue that death is (or rather, in part) what gives life meaning.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. Xerobull

I would certainly procrastinate more if I were immortal. I’ve had sort of a life clock since I was super young in my head- oh, I’m six, time to ride a bike. I’m 8 it’s time to play sports. I’m 15, better clean up my appearance to meet girls. I’m 40, time to kick business into overdrive.

If there were no end, not sure if I would have those compulsions.

20. plates300

plates300 Member

Genetically modified animals...nature always finds a way to evolve and undo what humans have engineered. period.