1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Don't expect a high pick

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Axeman, May 15, 2000.

1. Axeman

Axeman Member

Just a little reminder to everyone...
    The NBA will fix the lottery this year so the Bulls get the #1 pick again for sure (even though they do have a high chance anyway -- the league will want to lock that in). I'm sure it will be one of those "closed-door" sessions like it was last year (can you say "fixed"???). If it is, don't expect much in the way of high picks for the Rockets.

Shoot, if Mr. Stern and his buddies had their way, they'd probably give the Lakers the #1 pick!

------------------

2. 3pointer

3pointer Member

You might be right but w/us now having an exciting player in Steve Francis the NBA will see this as a great chance for marketing so they might just feel compelled to give us a high pick to make us more competetive... all this under the "conspiracy theory " train of thought of course...

------------------
    What now ?

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Let me start this off by saying that I'm NOT bashing Hakeem.

I'm of the opinion that the NBA "ignoring" the Rockets is due more to the fact that Hakeem just isn't as marketable (though every bit as talented) as other superstars. Don't get me wrong, I still think the league has ignored us for long enough (NBAs Greatest Combacks, anyone?). Perhaps this is due to the marketing standpoint of our teams franchise player:

What I mean is Chuck brought us plenty of attention when he came here, but it was still Hakeem's team. Hakeem was our superstar-franchise player, Chuck was our superstar-marketing player. Steve Francis will be our marketing superstar as well as our franchise superstar, thus (hopefully) appealing equally to the media, the fans, and the NBA.

The media made gods out of the players in the biggest markets, on the best teams, with bazillion-dollar shoe contracts, and the NBA followed suit: marketing the players the media and fans wanted marketed. Personally, I've never heard any player or the NBA say anything negative about Dream.

Steve Francis will be our retribution, mark my words. He has everything the media looks for in making a poster-child: looks, class, flash, confidence, and mic-skills, all without an over-abundance of trash-talk.

------------------
    I need a new signature.

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

i thought it was odd that they got the 1st pick last year also ? But was the lotto ever live ? i think i remember it being like the texas lotto or something.

If the NBA wants to keep the rockets in houston, maybe they will help the rockets ? Houston is a much better market then louisvile, no matter how you cut it.

I also thought the tim duncan lottery was suspicious. the nba knew that the spurs would be good when elliot and robinson come back from their injuries, so i thought that coulda been fixed also.

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

5. 3pointer

3pointer Member

lynus .. I hate to agree w/you but I do , that is why I look at Francis in a total diferent way not just as a player (a good one at that ) but as a great marketing tool for the rox and the NBA .

Let's think about the Iverson incident where they paintbrushed his tattoes .. why ? well , we all know the answer to that , the middle to upper class folks just don't quite connect w/someone that has corn rows and tatooes , looks to getto and despite how good he is the marketing potential has been lowered due to his looks (sad but true) .

Kobe on the other hand is more easily acceptable , everyone now knows that the kid is actually very smart and is an awsome player out in the court so its easier to market him but he has Shack as a teammate so that kind of steels the thunder out of him but u put Kobe on another team without a major superstar like that and you'll see how much attention he would get.

Rox now have Francis and in his rookie season he already made an appearance on TNT (has a good voice) and did not embarased himself or the organization , was all over the all star weekend and wanted to participate and talk to the media (media loves it )... he is just striving to be noticed and the NBA has taken note so he is a great candidate to be hyped up by the marketing machine the NBA is , and of course the exciting game he brings on to the court is what makes people want to pay to go see him . Eventually because of Francis Cat should also get some attention nationally and so will every other teammate of his am not saying that you'll see kids wearing Rocket players unis all over the country but I can tell you that you will see many kids wearing Francis shirts all over the place within a few yrs just bet on that.

------------------
    What now ?

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The fact Francis won Rookie of the Year (co-winner) is reason enough to believe the NBA is not "forgetting the Rockets".

------------------
    ?

7. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

It never got much pub but the president of NBC and the one in charge of basketball on NBC said that the Rockets are the most exciting team in the NBA. We all know NBC controls the NBA so that should account for something. Also Feigen adressed lottery cheating because many suspected New York of getting preferential treatment when they got Ewing but they had some method and while I don't remember what it was it did sound like it would solve any problems. However if cheating goes down shouldn't we get a good pick since NBC likes us alot and everybody knows NBC controls the NBA.

------------------