1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donovan Mitchell has peaked? Role Player?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by RudyTBag, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I'm not sold on him yet. He's good...just don't see him as some superstar in the making. He's solid though.

jcmoon and RudyTBag like this.
  2. Asian Sensation

Nice comparison but it took Dipo 5 years to truly breakout and essentially get to the level Donovan is already at in just his 2nd year.

Back to Dipo... I don’t think 1 season trying to fit in where he could while WB was stat chasing for the MVP is a large enough sample size to come to the conclusion that Dipo struggles when he’s not the #1 guy. Look at PG this year compared to last year (1st year with OKC) his numbers this year dwarfed last years. Also, Dipo’s numbers weren’t that different from when he was in Orlando as the #1 in comparison to his year at OKC.

Regardless, WB and Dipo were a bad fit from the beginning since they’re both 6’4 combo guards with redundant skills that don’t compliment each other and it’s just very hard to play alongside WB in general.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Loved TNT crew hyping him as "...a star growing right before our eyes!" as he kept throwing bricks left and right.

Maybe he was building a Holywood star, brick by brick.

AXG, everyday eddie, jcmoon and 5 others like this.
  4. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

Just cuz he is a better 3 point shooter than Wade was doesn't make him a superstar. Superstars have cross over moves and double crossovers. The handles usually don't get added later, like shooting. His handles aren't superstar worthy. Just all star. I didn't say he couldn't do it, I said if his shooting doesn't improve in the next five years......russel Westbrook.

He has a shot to be a Robin, a number two playmaker. Having him as a number one prolly won't lead to championships. 36 percent is OK, it's Rafer Alston numbers.

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. Asian Sensation

Where did I say he was a superstar cause he’s a better 3 point shooter than Wade? I didn’t know having cross over moves and a double crossovers were prerequisites for being a Superstar. That’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever read. Then you bring up Rafer Alston out of the blue in the same post which makes your claim even funnier.

“If his shooting doesn’t improve in the next 5 years ... russel Westbrook” Really? WB is a career 30% shooter from deep over the course of 11 years. Mitchell shot 36% which was on par with Harden and better than guys like CP3, Gordon, Lou W, Beal, Durant, Devin Booker and a bunch of other ‘OK’ shooters.

Way to go out on a limb predicting Mitchell probably won’t win a ring being a number 1. You can make him the number 2 guy and combine him with a number 1 and 3rd option and even then it’s far from a guarantee.

It feels dirty having to defend a Jazz player but at least try to keep it somewhat real.

6. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Gobert peaked and capeala actually went easy on gobert this series.

Jazz don't have a bench. I think it would be a healthy competition between Rubio and Grayson Allen but coach synder keeps Grayson Allen buried on the bench.

Mitchell might have peaked all things considered.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL I see people comparing Mitchell to Dwade, Oladipo, Westbrick even Giannis...

Mitchell is 6'1 and half inches, he is the same height as freaking Kyrie Irving he just has more muscle mass and has long ass arms (6'10 ws compared to 6'4 and a half from Irving) but he is essentially the same size. Oladipo, Wade and Westbrook's height without shoes is basically the same as Mitchell wearing thick ass shoe insoles. Imagine Irving but slightly more athletic but much worse shooting and you have Donovan Mitchell. He has a tweener problem, he isn't an athletic and lengthy beast like Westbrick but neither is he a good shooter like Irving.

At his height of 6'1 Mitchell needs to be a dead eye shooter to be effective, in the regular season he looks like a star because he is shooting 35% from 3 but in the playoffs that cratered to 20s. My guess is in the playoffs the opponents just lock on him and he can't get separation because he is short for his position and he isn't freakishly athletic to compensate for that. Even worse because he doesn't have PG skills he plays SG but that makes him even more undersized and ineffective.

I think he needs to take a pg bootcamp and commit to PG position full time. For a pg 6'1 is actually on the taller side, most skill based pgs like CP are 5'10 if he plays pg he can use his long arms to be extremely disruptive on defense and then slowly work on his offensive game. Just trade Ingles and Wubio for shooters like Reddick and kickstart Mitchell's development at his correct position.

BigShasta, jcmoon and RudyTBag like this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

How about two full seasons of PER?

9. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Donovan hasn't peaked but you know who has? KAT. Dude came into the league as a finished product.

10. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Jeff teague and Jones from Duke was a big disappointment along with the entire Timberwolves organization this season.

Looking at Minnesota, no wonder Kevin love left.

The fans are the ones getting shafted.

BigggReddd likes this.
  11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Kevin Love is overrated himself.

Stat padder that has minimal impact on the outcome of games.

BigggReddd likes this.
  12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Timberwolves need to sign oj 'juice' mayo out of suspension instead of rose to give someone new and opportunity.

KAT brought a presence. Okogie might fulfill a role next season.

Gibson didn't represent for USC.