1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donald Trump's economic policies are working, nothing else is but

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by what, Jan 17, 2018.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Demand creates jobs, not companies. All you have are a bunch of fake facts there.

2. dmoneybangbang

2016 had more job creation than 2017.

We've been under the second largest stock market run in US history under Obama/Trump

Companies were creating jobs prior to the tax plan, some sectors pay higher taxes than others.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So why do corporations take out investment loans?

Corporations will expand their products and services regardless of the tax code. If they determine there is demand, they will expand.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

When wages and full- time employment finally rise substantially, wake me up.

The stock market is not helping many ordinary, struggling Americans.

A real infrastructure bill, sans irresponsible tax deficit, might have been interesting.

DonnyMost likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

There were less jobs created in 2017 than in 2016.

adoo, Buck Turgidson and B-Bob like this.
  6. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

B-Bob likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

*fewer*

8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I used "less" because anything Trump does cannot be counted.

9. Buck Turgidson

My bad, I know you use only the best words.

eta: I'm watching Alton Brown make gumbo, gonna find out if this guy knows what he's talking about or not.

10. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

it's instant with a democrat in office during real time improvement but it takes years with a democrat in office during a downturn. thank god for democratic presidents!

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Not really, its been fairly consistent that the first few years of Obama was cleaning up the abortion that was the Bush presidency.

12. ipaman

no i'm /serious, if we went longer than 3-4 terms without a democratic president we wouldn't even have an economy.

13. Buck Turgidson

This is just silly. Bush I inherited a crappy economy, got voted out...Clinton rode the .com wave and crash...Bush had 9/11...then Obama got the financial/real estate meltdown. Now we're back on the upswing. None of those people deserve credit or blame for any of it.

B-Bob likes this.
  14. fchowd0311

Obama had 8 years in office. The stock market surge and constant 200,000+ monthly job creation started happening in his 6th, 7th and 8th years.

Trump has been in office for a year.

So... Come again?

15. fchowd0311

Hey can I help you beat the **** out of the strawman with you also? He doesn't deserve it but it looks fun though

16. ipaman

you guys don't understand sarcasm or jokes. if a sitting democrat gets credit for a booming economy while in office and also gets credit for a booming economy while not in office you can't lose!!! thank god for democrats!

Roc Paint likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The economy was already growing before Trump arrived. I give him some credit for not screwing it all up, though presidents generally only have a minority influence on what the economy does regardless. The big run up in stock prices is based on the prejudices of investors gambling on the prospects of a united Republican government, and those stock prices will eventually have to be justified by company annual reports or they'll sink again. But the good fortunes or corporations and investors are not a great way to measure the economy's performance more generally. What good is it to Joe the Plumber that Warren Buffett has another billion dollars if his wages don't increase? So it is with this tax cut. Undeniably a good development for corporations and investors; only good for workers if jobs and wages materialize; and at what a terrible cost -- deficits will balloon and wage workers will be asked to give up critical government services so that one percenters can stack more cash. If being good at economic policy only means maximizing investor wealth at the expense of every other priority humans have in life, then it might not be a title to be sought at all.

I might be chasing you around the bbs saying this in other threads, but this is a strawman I hate seeing repeated. The impediment to investment caused by taxation is not a shortage of capital. Capital has always been available to fund profitable ideas. The impediment is the dead-weight loss imposed by taxes on returns on investment. Taxes make each idea less profitable, and perhaps not worth the risk of trying. I suppose promoters of the tax reform are also at fault for causing confusion because they talk about it in simplistic ways about companies having the money to invest. The money has always been there, it was the investment cases that have not been.

18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Obama economy is the reason we are seeing what we are now? I have to laugh at some of you. Some just don't give up.

GDP.

Obama had the worst post WW2.

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obama's economic policies were also working if you are using a growing economy to judge whether or not economic policies are working. I'm not saying it's wrong to do that, but both presidents had economic growth, and both presidents had very different economic policies. Furthermore, Obama reversed the previous trend and turned the economy around. Trump has only continued the already existing growth.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Giving Tax cuts to businesses doesn't always equal job growth.

Sorry but businesses aren't stupid. No company that doesn't have an increased demand for the product will simply hire more workers because they get a tax cut unless that company is run by fools.

What will cause companies to hire more employees is when there is enough demand for their product or service to make it worth their while to hire more employees. We know the way to increase demand is to put more money in the hands of people who will spend it which is the lower and middle class.