1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dom Capers: Houston Texan HeadCoach?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rocket River, Jan 18, 2001.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not bad. He did well for Carolina.
    Then Kerry Collins and the bottom fell out.

He didn't come to mind but I'm not entirely displeased.

Rocket River

------------------

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm just thankful it wasn't Phillips. Capers sounds like an excellent choice. He has experience getting things started.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I think I would have preferred Gary Kubiak, even though he has no NFL head coaching experience and he is an Aggie. But Capers is a better coach than Bum Junior.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Is this official? I heard somewhere that they were going to wait a year or so.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

He's on a second interview. It's not official, but it looks very promising. Houston was his first choice.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

6. dc sports

dc sports Member

104 KRBE had Bob McNair on the radio this morning, and they asked him. McNair wouldn't commit, but he didn't deny the rumor at all -- other than to make a humorous comment about "Yeah, I read that in the paper too."

He did go through Capers' qualifications, and pointed out that there are only two possible coaches with experience putting together an expansion team, and that experience would be very important.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

7. PhiSlammaJamma

Re-Alignment is pretty much a done deal. Go check ESPN web sit for more details. Houston will be an AFC team.

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I don't like Dom Capers. There were more problems in Carolina than just Kerry Collins alcoholism.

My first choice is Miami's Butch Davis but since he prefers beaches (which he says Houston has none), isn't going to happen.

My second choice is Denver's Gary Kubiak. Gary is a former Aggie and should energize the college/pro football community in Houston.

My third choice is to wait to see if any other candidates become available. This was McNair's choice until Dom's "impressive" interview.

No Shell and no Saunders, and definitely not Wade Phillips.

If the Buffalo Bills want to hire Dom Capers which I doubt then let Buffalo have him. Capers will be gone from Buffalo in 5 years. Buffalo is also looking at some internal candidates which would be a better option than Capers.

9. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

We've known Houston was going to be an AFC team since October of 1999. Tags said so when the team was awarded.

Capers got sort of a raw deal in Carolina. When he was hired, he had little say in personnel decisions (Bill Polian was the GM). Polian stocked up on older players so the team could compete right away and then moved on to Indy as those players were finishing their careers (which was very quick. Many of those players were on their last legs when they signed with Carolina). Polian also didn't draft all that well when he was in charge.

Capers was given the Player Personnel reins when Polian left and didn't do too good a job with it, but he was in the bad position of having to replace an old team while at the same time not having drafted players (who were drafted by Polian) work out very well.

Since Capers won't have Player Personnel control this time, he should be fine as a coach in Houston. It'll be up to Casserly to give him the players.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I forgot that Buffalo hired some guy named Donahoe as their GM therefore an internal coach will not happen.

------------------

11. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

It's official.

5yrs/$1.8 million per year

------------------

12. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Phislammajamma,
    Could you post a link for that realignment article that you read at ESPN.com

Thanks.

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

Counting down the days till January 27, 2002 (Superbowl 36 in New Orleans).

13. PhiSlammaJamma

14. mrpaige

Actually, I believe that is the same story as ESPN had.

As it is realignment is hardly a "done deal" as they didn't actually come up with an alignment and vote on it at the Dallas meetings.

There's another story from Jaguars.com (the offical Jags site) that notes that Bud doesn't want to be in the same division as the Texans. It notes that the "likely" (their word, not mine) divisions would have Jacksonville in the AFC South with Baltimore, Tennessee and Indy, while Houston is in the AFC Central with Cincy, Pitt and Cle.

That would make the AFC look like this:

AFC East: Miami, Buffalo, New England, new York jets
    AFC Central: Houston, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    AFC South: Baltimore, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Tennessee
    AFC West: Kansas City, Oakland, San Diego, Denver

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

They should probably re-think the name considering only one of those teams is REALLY south. Even Tenn isn't exactly Alabama though it is south of the Mason-Dixon.

Maybe AFC Midwest?

------------------
    I am very very sleepy.

16. Band Geek Mobster

I don't think Jacksonville is in the midwest.

The only name I can think of is the AFC Scumbags since they're all cities that stole a team from someone else except for Jacksonville and they TRIED to do it.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited January 21, 2001).]

17. mrpaige

According to one article I read, the Central will likely not be called the Central anymore, but rather the North. So, Houston could end up in a division called the AFC North. I don't know how good the source on that one was, though.

They ought to just called the divisions AFC I, AFC II, AFC III and AFC IV and end any possible complaining about how Northern teams are in a division called the South, etc.

------------------
    Houston Sports Board
    The Anti-Bud Adams Page

18. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

The problem with Capers is he is a defensive coach. His Carolina teams had terrible offenses. We need to find a good offensive coordinator now. Steal Sean Payton from the Gents maybe?

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

19. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

excellent hire, capers led his team to the nfc title in two yrs.., has experience as an expansion team coach, has a good gm around him to relieve him of personnel duties and will hire good assistants..plus in the nfl..defense wins championships..

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

20. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Can you say Tony Dungee? You need more than defense to win.

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox