1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does this scare you?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Apr 6, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Sane

Sane Member

If, as speculated, Cato and Shandon will be much more effective with the rule changes, then why would we get rid of them?

Cause, if we finish 5+ games above .500 without the rule changes, then two of our main players improve effectively from the year before, wouldn't we be able to win something like 5 more games?

Then, Mo Taylor would feel completely at home and would increase his production. Francis will improve, cause point guards improve dramatically in each of their first three years.

So, let's say we finish with 47 wins this year. That would be 52 wins next year.

Now add at least 2 draft picks and/or Webber.

I think that we'd be a good seed even if we maintain our current team.

------------------

2. haven

haven Member

Oh, then I agree with you there... although I think the breakdown might be closer to:

Collier 6pts 5 rebs, Cato 4 pts, 6 rebs

Still, close enough [​IMG].

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

3. TraJ

TraJ Member

I think Hottoddie had an extremely insightful post. It wasn't in this thread however. [​IMG]

------------------
    The sky is falling!

4. Live

Live Member

[​IMG]

Uh......Thanks. (I guess)

Can you throw a brother a link, hint,...?

------------------

5. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Great thread HP.

NO FEAR

A. Cato is gone. Forget about it. He is otta here. We will find a home for him for all the reasons several have already posted. At $6.5M he will be sold to the highest bidder. That bid would likely be combined to get us a little closer up the draft. Don't be surprised if he is gone just prior to the draft(to move us up), or immediately following the draft(to some team that did not get what they wanted or are drafting for us). At the very least we will parlay his sorry butt into a useable commodity. Hell I would even take a little cheese to offset all the "whine" we got from him last two seasons.

B. Hakeem will never play for another team. That is just my gut feeling. However, if we happened to make some moves, especially if we get a premiere (but essentially rookie) center, and beef up some other positions, he will stay for a good but not overtaxing compensation package.Otherwise he will retire outright.

C. I don't think they can afford to get a second tier pivot man and allow him to "develop" next season. I think they could do that for a SF though. But the middle really needs some presance, some savy and skills at the start of the season. So, either they get a top rung center, and that means trading way up to the first part of the single digits or they trade everything to get someone of established credit. Despite some nay-saying to the contrary, the Rockets are in a pretty good position. They have some picks, they have some cap, they have marketable players. We are in a lot better shape than last year.

Cheers.

[​IMG]

------------------

6. Band Geek Mobster

You need to post more often oeilpere. I totally enjoy reading what you post, maybe that's because I agree with everything you say.

------------------
    Thoughts?

[This message has been edited by Band Geek Mobster (edited April 09, 2001).]

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

sorry kbm about getting the responses you sought, but see ... I needed my oeilpere pill.

we all do for this scary scenario.

8. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

9. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Nice pick up Mango

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

10. heypartner

yes that post was really fun!

shhhhh! I still believe it, but oeilpere gives some of the best written player summaries I've ever read.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

If you ask me, and some may already consider it either reasonable or ridiciulous to trust me, but the Rockets will draft Battier. It may take two or three picks to get him, but mark my words, he is the one Rudy wants. I'd bet my house on it. Battier has been written into stone. At least one team will consider trading down to fill holes for two or three picks. The Rockets will position for Battier and get him. The rest of the draft will be blown out of the Water by a U-Boat of some sort.

Olajuwon will re-sign. Done deal.

Mo Taylor and Shandon Anderson are gone. Nobody should be surprised as to why. Mobley won the job from Anderson. Done deal. Anderson has too much pride to remain in Houston. Mo Taylor was all about money. He still is. People don't change unless something dramatic occurs in their life. Nothing dramatic happened to Mo. Neither player will be seen after this summer.

Cato will stay if Webber doesn't sign. I'd bet my life on it.

If Webber doesn't sign, don't expect to see us sign Jackson. He's a pretender. Our team is too good for a pretender. Rudy will save his cap money and continue to build next year. Dream May get paid for one more year in this scenario.

Walt Williams will be in Houston. He's part of the team for better or worse.

The Team as I see it:

Olajuwon
    Cato
    Battier
    Mobley
    Francis

One more piece will be added in 2003. A replacement for Dream.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

12. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

PSJ,

like some of thinking, hope Battier has enough athletisism to not turn into an O'Bannon. Do you really think Cato and Dream can play on the floor together and well? Cause Cato don't know what the outside of the key way looks like and you want to waste Dream at the 4 spot.

Smeg

------------------
    "Repression never did me any harm (I finally ceased to include "stop masturbating" as one of my guilt ridden New Year's resolutions, but that's a different topic)." Achebe - programmer by day, Mrs Palmers Husband by night

13. PhiSlammaJamma

I saw a special on Ed O'Bannon a few days back. He has a lot of regrets about the NBA. He felt as though he didn't put in the extra effort to succeed. I don't know one way or the other, but his general feeling was that he was immature and explored the night life just a little too much. It's a terrible thought to compare Obannon to Battier, but my gut tells me Battier isn't the type of person that will quit on his improvement. After the Championship game he said, 'I'm just going to go eat some junkfood tonight. After everything I gave up, it's time to enjoy life a little and then get back to work.' He's a worker... But what I think matters little. What Rudy thinks is much more important. Rudy has a way about him. It's almost like he makes his mind up very early on as to who he wants and then he does whatever it takes to get him. Even skipping over quality players to do it. Battier seems to put that glimmer in his eye. That's why I'd bet my house on it. It was kind of like Croshere if you ask me. He wanted him very badly, it just didn't work out, and yes, we are thankful... But that glimmer was there.

The only reason I've got Cato at the Four and Olajuwon at the five is because there is little else we can do. Cato has proven he can play defense on the Four. He hasn't proven much on the Five. Olajuwon is golden there. So, despite the fact that Cato has absolutely no offensive skills, I'd predict that he ends up starting at the four. It's simply a matter of not having anyone else to fill the role. It doesn't scare me that much because of two things. 1) Dream will pull out of the lane and 2) Cato will sink to the baseline. That gives Mobley and Francis the ability to break the defense (zone or whatever)and then when help arrives, they hit Cato on the baseline or Dream at the Foul Line. It may not sound like much, but I think it has a lot of bite. We still need another big man, but for the time being, I think Cato will be fine at the 4.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

[This message has been edited by PhiSlammaJamma (edited April 09, 2001).]

14. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Call me crazy...

But could anyone else see Rudy and CD doing something with the #13 pick like trading down for a 1st rounder next year, like the Pryz/Collier trade? Why, you ask? Well, we still owe Vancouver a top-15 pick next year. If Rudy and CD don't think they can get the players they want that low in the lottery, they might just trade down and see if they can't acquire a pick to pay off Vancouver. Or if Vancouver's really desperate, maybe the Rockets can get them to give up a 2nd rounder or something in exchange for giving up the pick this year. Unrealistic? Maybe, maybe no.

------------------

15. heypartner

I like trading down...

it is very hard to trade up into the top 10 anyhow. anyone have info on how many significant trade ups have occurred.

Relativist...I guess there are two ways to look at it. Make the pick and trade later, or trade down on draft night.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited April 09, 2001).]

16. Live

Live Member

1. & 2.There is always a team out there that thinks "Maybe he wasn't utilized, he needs a change of scenery, blah blah blah" and rationalize that he's worth taking a chance on, so I'm not really worried. Just remember, Luc Longley is still in the NBA. Benoit Benjamin played 10 YEARS!! in the NBA. Just don't expect any Cato-for-G.Hill or Cato-for-Mourning trades. [​IMG]

3. True, but Dream at 38 is still better than 80% of the players at his position. If he's going to play anywhere, I'm hoping it's here. I also hope that he begins\continues to take more of a mentor role with the big men. My hope is that the Rocks can get their hands on a Gadzuric or Collins in the draft, and that Dream can work with Collier and the draft pick over the next year or so, before Dream takes that front office job [​IMG] . Collier and whomever the pick is WILL in all likelihood be the future at C for the Rocks, sort of a tag team approach, which could work out nicely. No, it's not the greatest scenario for the 5, but tag teams have worked for several teams in the past. All they need is boards, blocks, and intelligent play.

4. Can't blame him for that, he has to look out for himself. And if he finds a better deal than what the Rocks offer, I wish him luck. What Mo brings to the table (scoring, ball-handling) can be replaced, much more so than what Dream brings. This is not that critical an area.

5. With the various holes on this team, if this is Rudy & CD's ONLY plan to take the Rocks to the next level, the Rocks are in deep stuff. Yes, I've wanted Webber in a Rocks jersey since June '93, but the franchise will survive should he decide to head out to NY, or for that matter, stay in SAC. In fact, the only thing I truly fear is a return of the Pippen syndrome, i.e. not getting the FA they REALLY wanted and then settling for the "next best player", regardless of compatiblity or chemistry. And if you've forgotten the potential impact of such a deal, watch #13.

6. Should be drafting for best available, anyway. If he happens to be a big man with loads of potential (if the Rocks are drafting him in the lottery, he BETTER have upside, otherwise what's the point), GREAT!! If not, why not take a SF or SF\PF in the draft? There's an obvious need for him. A greater fear is that drafting of a big man who is marginally talented, just because he's big.

7. The Rocks don't necessarily need a break out year from Collier. If he can contribute next year as he did this year before his injury, then he will be a valuable contributor.

------------------

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

heyp
    Let's look at what we have

C - Collier, Cato
    . Collier IMO is ok. I think will be a nice
    . backup. Cato is a crappy player who will
    . Start but should not [I think If rudy benches
    . him for Collier it would help his attitude]
    .. not a strong center spot but servicable
    .. I say 10 Rbs and 10 pts per game

PF KT/ Los
    . I LIKE THESE GUYS not powerful PF but
    . again very servicable and capable I forsee
    . much improvement here
    SF Walt/Bull/Langhi
    . WE NEED TO MAKE A MOVE HERE - Weakest Link
    . on the team. I think Langhi should be
    . Ahead of the other 2 [we must develop
    . him.
    SG Cuttino/Francis/Colson
    Pg Francis/Moochie/Colson
    . STRONG!

This being said people not accounted for are
    DREAM
    MOE
    SA

I hope to resign at least DREAM and MOE
    Which IMO would make us more than capable
    at the C and PF

I like SA and would like to resign him
    but in Resigning he is 3rd priority

I think the Draft *can* be good to us

I think in you analysis you underestimate
    KT LOS, and COLLIER

Will we be elite? no
    Will we take a step back .. a lil
    but we will still make the playoffs.

Rocket River
    that's right can take a step back
    and make the play offs

------------------

18. haven

haven Member

Verse:

Do you mean that both Collier and Cato would combine to average 10 and 10, or that either of them is capable of doing this alone?

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I think combined.

Rocket River
    Collier 8 pts 8 rbs
    Cato 2 pts 2 rbs 6 fouls

------------------

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Three picks is tough for any team that low in the draft to turn down. At the very least they will consider it. I think we have a chance to move up and get who we want. We may only move up two or three spots, but I'm pretty sure we'll do it.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.