1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does this call for expulsion from public high school?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OldManBernie, Apr 23, 2007.

Tags:
  1. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

I heard that an Asian kid got expelled from his high school for designing a first person shooting game (or a map) with his high school in it. The game was made 2 months in advance to the VT shooting. A concerned parent phoned it in recently, and the school decided to expel the kid. I don't have the details of how threatening is it, and I am assuming that no lives are specifically threatened within the game.

I believe that it is obviously in bad taste, but expulsion seems a bit harsh. He is currently a senior and on his way to college, this will probably ruin his life. I am wondering what you guys think.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He designing games in High School . . I doubt his life will be ruined
    I think that this is ridiculous. . .

We are such a THROW-The-baby-Out-With-The-Bathwater Society

Sounds like a nice accomplishment. . not something to expel for
    [unless he had realistice pictures of real people in it and grinned crazily as he killed them]

Rocket River

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thats a little harsh. Its would not quite venture as far as bad taste without more info. the kid was designing a map that he knew so he did his school. I've played a few school maps on CS before, a mcdonalds map, walmart, and an office building.

4. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

We should definitely lock up the developers of True Crime: Streets of LA, if that is the standard we are going to adopt.

5. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

and super mario bros...it promotes hatred to muchrooms and turtles

6. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

yeah that's what I thought too... I'll post more info as I hear more.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The kid needs to understand why his game might cause concern. He might need counciling. The last thing he needs is to be expelled.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can understand why the school would take it hard. But, it doesn't seem like any sort of indicator, in isolation. I had a friend who was designing maps in Counterstrike, and we talked about settings. Given the nature of the game, there is a preference for mundane locations. It provides some implicit storyline, a familiarity with reasonable geography ("what should we put in this room? More boxes?"), and some cheap realism.

Does a school have any business policing something like this?

9. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

That's pretty harsh, they should have checked to make sure that he was Korean first.

RACISTS!!!!

10. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

That is pathetic. I guy i know did the same thing for my high school, but that was about 10 years ago(with Duke nukem 3D). and he didn't develop into a mass murderer

11. myco

myco Contributing Member

I think my friend knows this kid as a family friend. Last I heard, he still receives his high school diploma, is not allowed to attend the graduation ceremony, and has to attend some sort of counseling until graduation. Also, I believe they just recently had a meeting with the school board and district superintendent -- the outcome of which I don't know yet. There are some issues of whether the kid got fair notice and a hearing and whether the school complied with all the provisions in their discplinary code.

12. DonkeyMagic

Supporting Member

duke nukem...awesome game. That was the first game i ever played over a modem. Dialed up my friend across town. i think thats a bit over 10 years ago. Arent they coming out with a new one? or id one just come out?

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WTF?

Come on......that is an AWESOME thing for the kid to do...and shows real skills.

He is exactly the type of person I want at my new company.

DD

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Is this the same new company . . or a New New company *grin*

Rocket River

15. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I just emailed your RR account.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is a self starter, and he took the inititive to make his school in a virtual world....BF deal....that is better than him getting a gun and killing people.

This PC world is making me sick.

Oh, and River, I have 3 companies right now and am seeking funding .......so whichever one gets funded first is the official new company.

:D

DD

#16 DaDakota, Apr 24, 2007
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2007
  17. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Amen to that, brother. The kid is a genius who was expelled.

18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

did some of you miss that he put his school in it. because he's smart doesn't excuse that. maybe not expulsion, but that could definitly be considered a threat.

19. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Why, He thought it was funny to make a area that he knows, and it was his school. I really do not think it is a small step to trying to kill people in real life.

People having fun with computer games, does not lead to mass murderers.

20. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Kind of ridiculous, but given how we, society, are sometimes, this doesn't surprise me...