1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the Rockets front office have a problem with Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jun 27, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I.D.I.O.T.

Sengun always seemed to bust his ass in the actual games. Where does this come from? Is it Stone?

Clearly, @Clutch would not make something like this up. He is completely trustworthy. He knew of their plan to bench Sengun last year, and was one of three people (Feigen and Iko being the other ones) the Rockets used to place the news of their plan.

Why is our own front office badmouthing one of our most promising young players - the one who statistically made the biggest leap last year, and was the Rockets' best player by all advanced metrics? KD's favourite young player in the league, Finals MVP Jokic praises him, and many others, like Paul George.

Only our own front office leaks negative opinions about him.

Even if they want to get rid of him, isn't badmouthing him like that to the most important Rockets fan and "influencer" malpractice insofar as it might damage his trade value?

I haven't listened to the whole thing, but according to this tweet, @Clutch even said Udoka is not a fan?

It's bizarre to me that the owner and the front office would publicly express their love for a soup thrower who got arrested, etc., while leaking their negative views on Sengun.

What is going on here? Does Sengun deserve this kind of treatment?

2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The BBS shtick is more tired than the D&D shtick

topfive, lakersuck2, Rashmon and 3 others like this.
  3. maj21

maj21 Member

Like they’ve said, he has a couple of fatal flaws in their eyes. Also, they want great athletes all over the floor.

Ren ason likes this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Lopez will make Sengun better. Sengun is the future. A 2-yr deal for a 35 yr old elite defensive center doesn’t change that. Do not fear; embrace!

blue_eyed_devil, Y2JT, cbass and 4 others like this.
  5. Jontro

Jontro Member

we won't need him once austin reaves arrives. the real white hope.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I would love to get Lopez on the Rockets (on a 2-year contract or so, since he is already 35). Not worried about that at all - what concerns me is the attitude of our "front office".

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

They literally haven’t said that lol

Drift Monkey, cml750 and PeterKingX like this.
  8. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Sometimes you don’t appreciate what you have until you don’t have it anymore. I know that I’m not privy to what goes on in the locker room or in practice, but I do have eyes to see what goes on during the game!!

I hope the Rockets don’t screw the pooch with this kid!! He may or may not be the franchise player, be he’s definitely a keeper!!

Go Rockets!!!
    …….
    …….
    …….

9. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Denver with Jokic, Warriors with Curry, Spurs with Duncan, Celtics with Bird, Mavs with Nowitzki rightly prioritized skill over "athleticism".

"Great athletes all over the floor" - this isn't a track meet. And actually, there is very little evidence that someone like Jabari is more athletic than Sengun, really.

10. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

If they trade him, they will regret it. And it will be exactly what they deserve.

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Are you saying Stone and Udoka should be fired for the way they treat Alperen Sengun ?

To be fair, someone can absolutely be your best and most talented player and not have a strong work ethic.

But, my guess would be the only reason something like this gets out is if they're more frustrated that he's working on different things than what they want him to work on.

They would love for him to be another Jokic. But, if he doesn't reach that they'd probably rather he be a super Brook Lopez than another Sabonis.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Not at all. I am very happy about the Udoka hire and do trust that he will be fair.

I'm not sure about Stone. I don't understand why he and the Fertitta family seem to be so enamored with KPJ. The stories about him going to the locker room and playing coach were also troubling. And if it is indeed him who leaks this stuff about Sengun, I question his judgment.

13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

14. invocux

invocux Member

Sengun lacks work ethic? I didn't see that but i'm not the coach. All i can tell is that he got better in the post, seems like getting more confident taking 3s and i read on Twitter that he shot 37% or 38% behind the 3pt line from the top of the key and right wing but there's a possibility that he might not up to Ime's standards defensively. That being said i don't think we have a lazy roster and this is nothing more than Clutch's undying Sengun hate. The guy simply doesn't like his archetype and has been saying same sh-t since forever. Even before Ime. I remember that he said the same stuff when Bruno started over him in the beginning of the last season.

15. maj21

maj21 Member

Clutch literally said that in the pod. I listened to it today

Ren ason likes this.
  16. maj21

maj21 Member

Clutch literally said that in the pod. I listened to it today

Yung-T and Jontro like this.
  17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Sengun's onlyfans are very whiny & privileged when it comes to criticism of him, yet criticize every other Rocket 200x a day. Make it make sense!

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

•(32:28) Salman: Can we talk about Brook Lopez? I don’t understand this pursuit. I don’t get it. This is the third year in a row they’ve tried to acquire a starting center. When are you going to give Sengun the keys? At what point will you trust him to drive the car? I get it, Brook Lopez DPOY candidate, great 3pt shooter, can help you win games, Sengun is probably not better than him right now. But the whole point of this is to find your stars and not undercut them on the way there. This is a guy they’ve undercut at every single opportunity they’ve had the opportunity to do so. They started last year with Bruno Fernando. We’re doing this again. At what point do you not see this? You don’t want to be the team that trades the star player. You don’t want to be OKC regretting the Harden trade. This is how you put yourself in that position. By undercutting him.

•(33:50) Clutch: I don’t know if I look at it as undercutting. I know Sengun fans think I hate him. I get it, it’s fine. I look at it as this is a meritocracy now. I don’t think the Rockets, certainly certain members of the Rockets front office are not like the biggest believers in Sengun. It’s not that they hate him. There’s certain elements of his game they’re concerned about. They want to see a strong work ethic and improvement in those areas. What Ime wants and what he said is he wants options at center. I don’t think they’re phasing Sengun out. I still anticipate him getting 25 minutes a night, playing in a variety of different roles. If he shines and thrives, he’ll outshine Lopez eventually. He’s going to want the ability to play a center that is strong defensively, can shoot 3s and spread the floor. … I look at it as I want to see Jalen, Jabari, and Sengun outshine those guys. (Potential guys they bring in) Don’t hand it to them. Let them prove it.

(35:27) Salman: Doesn’t it feel like he’s the only guy that has to keep outshining the guy in front of him? He’s the only guy. These other guys have not had to prove it. Kevin Porter Jr. has not had to prove anything. He got the starting job day one. John Wall got a bench role right away and he responded to that with “Hell no. I’m not doing that. I’m not coming off the bench for a guy that hasn’t proven anything.” Last year, Jabari comes in and plays 30 minutes a game. Let’s be honest, Jabari had a rough rookie season. Sengun has played way better than everyone they’ve put in front of him and continue to make him have to prove it. Just trade him. If you don’t believe in him…

•(36:30) Clutch: That’s possible too. They’re saying no, that’s absolutely not possible. If they made any traction on a Zion deal, Sengun would have been in it for sure. There’s certain people, his fans and others, who see him as a future star. Others who see significant weaknesses, we have to balance this out with other stuff. There’s definitely strong voices in the Rockets brass that have some of that counter view. But Ime is here. He’ll work with him. He’s what we’ve been calling on. Give us fresh eyes from outside the organization, a basketball mind we can trust who will come in here and look at Sengun, Jabari, Jalen and say “I can work with this. I can’t work with this. This guy will play. This guy won’t play.”

If Sengun is out there getting 30-35 minutes because Ime believes in him, that’ll change some of my views. Same with Jabari. If he’s not able to play Jabari, I’ll be like “OK, Jabari is not cutting it.” I’m not gonna blame Ime or call Ime the problem. He’s gonna do what’s best to win. I don’t think there’s any preconceived notions with the new voice in the locker room.

(38:02) Salman: It does appear the Brook Lopez targeting is coming from Ime.

(38:13) Clutch: He said very clearly he wants different style of bigs. I don’t know if Ime is the biggest believer in Sengun but he sees the value in him. He sees his positives. The way he’s looking at is “I gotta have some big options, some size, some shot blocking, some different type of options.” It could come as a backup. Kelly Iko reported if they don’t Lopez, they’re gonna be targeting Capela or Turner. They’ve been looking at starting centers for awhile. I’ve known that for awhile as well. They are focused on getting a significant center. It’s been that way before Ime Udoka to be honest.

(38:59) Salman: My hope is that this is kinda like Nene in 2016, where they signed Nene. I was very worried he was going to get the starting spot over Capela. They used Nene as a way to ease Capela in. I’m hoping that’s the case here. I’m not optimistic about it. I remain skeptical everything this organization does at the center spot. This organization has gained my trust in some areas. They’ve maintained that cold and calculating nature that I loved during the Morey era. The signing value contracts. I believe in them in a lot of areas and they have done a good job recouping assets from where they were 3 years ago but this is one of those areas where I’ve side-eyed them throughout the entire 2 years Sengun has been here. I give them credit for trading for Sengun. But he’s had to continuously prove someone in the organization wrong.

•(40:39) Clutch: That’s exactly what they want. They want him to prove them wrong. I really do. The way it’s been described to me, they feel like he needs the coaching, he needs the push. … I don’t think there’s anything stopping Sengun from starting. If he goes in there and earns it, Ime will start Sengun. He probably has a way he likes to play. He’s gonna want a defensive center period. A significant one.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I don’t think he’s right. Clutch doesn’t seem to like Alp too much

20. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Not sure what more he can prove aside from being the most promising player we have on the roster at this point. If he has more to show than others then there is a problem in the organization. Little disheartened hearing this about how your front office is viewing your best player.