1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the idea of no God(s) and no afterlife trouble you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by polypheus, Apr 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

No, he wasn't agreeing with Buddha,
    He is saying that if you sin against God you will be cast in to everlasting fire (hell fire).

He is just making sin more serious than we make it.

Revelations 20:10- And the devilthat deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night forever and ever.

verse 15- And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Do you know what a metaphor is?

Sin is missing the mark - living the the wrong way, the way to suffering - hell. That is all (but it's a lot)

3. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

We're all going to have to deal with it sooner or later.

4. rhester

yes a metaphor is a figure of speech in which a word or phrase literally denoting one kind of object or idea is used in place of another to suggest a likeness or analogy between them.

the lake of fire and brimstone is not a metaphor (Revelations 20:10)
    Revelations 14:9-11 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand, The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb: And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

Revelations 21:7-9 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son. But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death. And there came unto me one of the seven angels which had the seven vials full of the seven last plagues, and talked with me, saying, Come hither, I will shew thee the bride, the Lamb's wife.

1 John 3:4 Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.

5. MR. MEOWGI

Yeah, there are no metaphors in Revelations...

:D

6. Sishir Chang

I don't know if I should get into this being neither a Christian or that much of a Buddhist but what the hey its the D & D and lack of expertise hasn't stopped anyone.

In terms of letting go of attachment I agree with Meowgi as in the passage to me on one level reads as "don't get too attached to things that keep you from Heaven (state of higher being)" but I think it goes far deeper than that.

It says "offend thee" which tells me that to cast off those attachments is conditional to attachments that offend God. In Buddhist thought all attachment should be cast off in general. So the passage to me reads not so much as casting off attachment to avoid sin but to be willing to sacrifice attachment, even ones body, for the sake of the Lord.

7. rhester

:D :D :D
    Great response!:D :D :D

Hey, stay out of the lake of fire and brimstone and all it's metaphors!;)

8. MR. MEOWGI

But it's fun in there sometimes.

9. rhester

No, it is serious.

fun is not a word I would even use kidding.

I know you don't believe it is a literal place. But for those who do believe- it is a very serious subject.

Death decides and verfies
    What we believe is true
    Death will conquer everyone
    Death will conquer you.

And when in truth you pass
    Unto the other side
    It will matter what you believe
    More than you realize.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

or not

:)

11. MR. MEOWGI

Birth and death are only notions. They are illusions. There is no permanent self. Death can kiss my ass.

12. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

oh and it will ;)

13. Sishir Chang

Does that mean Meowgi will die from colon cancer or some other unfortunate event involving his posterior?