1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the idea of no God(s) and no afterlife trouble you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by polypheus, Apr 12, 2005.

Tags:
  1. lalala902102001

I've always had this question:

If there is heaven and hell, where the heck are they? If one believes that spirit is a form of electricity, it has to physically exist somewhere.

How many trillions of people have died in human history? If all of them are now living some sort of afterlife, the place that needs to hold them has to be HUGE. ;)

2. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

In Evolutionary Psychology, it is proposed that moral behavior originated as an evolutionary process.
    ....Or the instinct to punish harmful and antisocial behavior might have developed in humans so that they could work and live together. Therefore specific behaviors were naturally selected.

3. wizardball

wizardball Member

i think it would bother anyone who has a religon obviously....

though just by looking at how the world or even us as human beings work is amazing.... it is impossible that some "big-bang" created us.... even if it did the fact that the universe is so well created and that there is a balancing force for everything is amazing... the chance of a big bang starting life is a one in a billion chance since many things would have had to go right for life to start by such an occurrence.... i know the big bang is just one theory.... though all the theories that science has come up with are weak and very improbable.

therefore i have no doubt that there is something greater than anything found in this world.... and that is god.:)

4. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

what if it didnt all come together in one bang? what if it took many big bangs? the universe could be in a state of expanding and contracting, and the laws of physics each bang produces could vary widely. It's not that unusual to think that the natural order of things is order. The smallest building blocks in nature will aggregate into larger blocks over time... i think the universe is much much much much older than any of us can comprehend.

haha why is science weak and improbable? whats not improbable about the bible? thats like a rockets fan saying the spurs suck. sure they believe it but only bc they're so fiercely loyal to their team. san antonios pretty good in actuality.

5. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I believe in God and heaven, so if I am right, then great. If I am wrong, then I will cease to exist, so I won't care that I was wrong. It's win-win baby.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's very realistic when we pefect cloning. Not because we'd be immortal as clones, but because the chances of isolating the exact mechanisms you listed are greatly increased with the same specimen tested over and ove again.

I read how some Korean researchers knocked off the telemerase mechanism in cancer cells that causes test tube specimens of cancer to die out naturally without growing out of control. What we know is the tip of the iceberg, but we are on the precipice of major breakthroughs in genetic engineering, neuroscience and nanotechnology.

7. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

the greatest gift you can give to the gods, is to live like one...

8. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Maybe I can start the Christian Pastor's Rocket Fan Club.

Charter member!:)

9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

science theories are weak and very improbable?:confused:
    The big question will always remain what was there before it all started, what was there before the big bang, what created it. but the same goes for a god, what created a god? I mostly do not have religious discussions because from my experience alot of religious people do not listen to people who think other wise, and alot of non religious people do not listen to people who think otherwise.

The biggest problem is that you cannot discuss religion with scientific facts, Religion is having faith in something believing something is true. you cannot give alot of scientific facts about why you believe, you just do or don't. so having scientific discussions about religion are very hard.

Ahh forgett everything i sayd, is is no use. i respect that some people believe and others do not. The only thing i have problems with is people claiming that what the others say is not true, because we do NOT know who is right. (perhaps nobody is wright and there is another beginning, we are not smart enough to understand.) and it doesn't matter who is wright. it matters that we are all happy with our life, and respect the opinion of others.

10. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It seems our discussions here just go round and round but my stock reply to this thinking is " In a Universe of unlimited possibilities why are you surprised to find yourself in a condition that is merely improbable?"

If there are billions and billions of solar systems it's not that unlikely that the exact conditions found on planet Earth would happen at least once. The chain reaction of physics starting from the fusion of lighter elements into heavier ones natually leads to the formation of complex amino acids. Carbon atoms are sticky and versitile in their ability to combine with other elements.

You can say God designed it or you can say that's just the way it is but just observing it is no proof of anything. I've always thought that if intellegence designed anything, life wouldn't be so cruel with the whole survival of the fittest, carnivore thing. But maybe god's a sadist.

11. wizardball

wizardball Member

Dubious.... okay so life COULD have started from the big bang….I am not refuting that … however where did this atom come from which started the universe?…They don’t even know what surrounded this atom?...if you get into the big bang theory they do not know what could cause such an enormous amount of force to be tied into a single point ...seems like a seed to me :)

You see that DOT up there in the middle…well that was our universe :D…. even if there was a big-bang then still science comes nowhere close to answering the question of life than does religion because nobody understands the initiation…so i guess that is why we all have our own believes.

12. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Cool! I'm going to go out and start smighting some people with righteous wrath.

13. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Couldn't have said it better myself!

This argument that it seems so improbably that the Universe is the way it is so there must be a guiding intelligence over looks the consideration that given the whole history of time everything is improbable.

100 years ago could anyone calculate the odds that a poster on clutchfans called "Sishir Chang" would have an egg and cheese burrito for breakfast on April 14, 2005? Yet I did and going backward we could see a long chain of causality for why I did but the further you go back the less probable it seems and given all of the possible different outcomes from any previous point in time it will seem nearly statistically impossible that I would have an egg and cheese burrito this morning. It just so happens that everything in the course of the history of time fell into place that this occured and we just happened to be around to live in a reality where I eat an egg and cheese burrito for breakfast this morning.

Is that fate, God's will or just that given infinite probabilities we can only experience one probability and aren't affected by the others?

Thoughts like these make me think there might be something to that.

14. Mori

Mori Contributing Member

Then, when you die, God comes to you and tells you she only lets atheists into heaven. Everyone else goes to hell. Not exactly 'win-win.' It's more like '?-?'

15. wizardball

wizardball Member

WTF:confused: :confused:

well said.

16. Mori

Mori Contributing Member

I was pointing out that Stupidmoniker's scenario is NOT win-win. In the scenario I presented, he goes to hell for believing in God. Or maybe he believes in the wrong God. Or make up any other possible explanation that is just as valid as "I believe in God. I go to heaven. Yay me! Everyone else burns in hell."

What Stupidmoniker posted is known as Pascal's Wager. Here's a link to an article about it on Wikipedia discussing some of its problems: Wikipedia: Pascal's Wager

#76 Mori, Apr 15, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2005
  17. rhester

humans debating heaven and hell...

is like approaching a super hurricane in a 10' row boat and
    debating whether you should be in the front of the boat or the back of the boat.

Death is a bigger deal than you realize.

18. rhester

Wherefore if thy hand or thy foot offend thee, cut them off, and cast them from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life halt or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet to be cast into everlasting fire. And if thine eye offend thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.

-The words of Jesus Christ (Matthew 18:8-9)

19. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

This somehow proves an hell is a physical place existing in the "afterlife"? Or are your last two posts just succumbing to typical Christian scare tactics?

The realm of Heaven & Hell is at hand right now, at the present moment. "You're soaking in it." ~ Madge the Manicurist.

In the above quote, Jesus was only agreeing with the Buddha- Attachments lead to suffering, i.e. hell.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

just to be clear..is it your contention that the Bible does not indicate Christ speaking of heaven/hell in the afterlife?