1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Shaq still worth 5 years $125 Million?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ivanyy2000, Aug 1, 2005.

1. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Heat is going to offer 33 years old Shaq a five-year $125 million contract. I am a little bit surprised that they offer him that much. That is $25 million each year until he is 38. (I thought they would give him $20M per year for 3 years or something like that.)

Does Heat pay him too much? Granted Shaq is still a great player, but he is not nearly as dominant as he was. I still remember all the folks talked about how he was going to dominate the NBA after losing weight last season, it didn't happen. He had his worst playoff performance career wise and it was Wade who carried the team in the playoff. Injure and age factors clearly slowed him down.

So my question is: Does the Heat offer too much? Or is it simply because they are just stuck with him?

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-heat-oneal&prov=ap&type=lgns

The Heat are believed to be offering O'Neal a five-year deal worth around $125 million, although neither the team nor the 12-time All-Star center's representatives would comment Monday on financial specifics.

2. monkeyboy32

monkeyboy32 Contributing Member

I believe Shaq has 3 more good productive years left in him if he's willing to stay in shape, injuries aside. But 5 years at $25 per?...that's nuts!!!

But from a business aspect, I guess for the revenue he must generate for the Heat alone might be worth it...sort of like Roger Clemens getting paid $18mil for us this year.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If he brings them a championship also. then its worth it.
    Also remember, Hakeem brought us 2 championships and he made like 18 mill his last two seasons.

4. macfan

macfan Contributing Member

Not disrespecting Roger, but Shaq's impact is way bigger. Shaq revived basketball and brought it back to Miami. He is the most popular sportsman in the world. He's in the category with Tiger Woods and Beckham. People are actually changing their lifestyle in Miami and adapting to having a star like Shaw and a championship contender. The revenue he brings in is crazy. Professional sports is a business, it's not just about what a player can do on the floor. Shaq transcends sports.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Shaq brings in a lot of revenue, but 5 for 125 is still nuts.

6. Kurupt the Kingpin

Shaq no longer plays like the best player in the game so I don't think there's any reason he should be paid like the best player in the game. He shouldn't be getting paid a penny more than Tim Duncan is.

7. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

this contract is totally nuts.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Yeah I guess you're right, it had nothing to do with Dwayne Wade and them making the playoffs the year before. Or the fact that they sold out their home playoff games the year before (it was pretty loud from what I remember.) Shaq has done a lot of good things, but he hasn't "revived" basketball in Miami.

9. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Shaw is still in the league?! :confused:

10. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

The money IMHO is not the issue but the length of the contract unless years 4 & 5 are team options.

I can't see Shaq being worth $25 mil/year in years 4 & 5. Sure he may still average 20-10 then but I don't expect him to play 70-80 games to make it worth Miami's money.

Good luck to Shaq.

11. Christopher

Christopher Member

Shaqs not the most popular sportsman in the world!

Im surprised that a guy at this stage of his career, who has been making huge money since day one is willing to handicap his team salary cap like that and force the club to build the team around him on the cheap.

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Out of curiosity, what do you mean by "people are actually changing their lifestyle in Miami..."?

13. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Exactly. If I'm a Heat fan I feel very good about a championship for the next 2 MAYBE 3 years, but those fourth and fifth years? Ouch! Hopefully a couple of championships are there to soothe the pain.

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

The lenght of contract is the real sticking point, I mean, come on 5 years? The guy was breaking down this year and when was the last time he played a full season? Just imagine what he'll look like in a couple of years.

15. tim562

tim562 Contributing Member

They are shaving their heads and buying really expensive cars..... :cool:

16. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

And acting like there're in a LA :D

17. fa7999

fa7999 Member

ABSOLUTELY NOT.

18. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

For what he brings to the court, Shaq does not deserve nearly this amount of money. He is clearly in decline and the last 3 years of this contract will be a huge burden on the franchise. He won't be averaging 20/10 by then. He is NOT the old Shaq and never will be. If (and only if) he brings a championship or two will this contract be worth it. Anything less than that and it's a huge mistake. I could see a 3 year deal; but 5 years at $25MM per is insane. There must be some sort of buyout provisions for the Heat.

I can't comment on Shaq "reviving" basketball in Miami and the additional revenue that will bring the team. I used to go to Miami quite often and haven't been there in over a year. All I know is Miami has been a Dolphins town for the last 30 years and always will be. The Heat "mania" is just a passing fancy. Next time I'm there, I'll try to take the pulse of some of my buddies. The friends I talk to regularly still only care about the Dolphins. Believe it or not, Ricky Williams is more important to them than Shaq.

19. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

So anybody else doesnt look at this as a good thing?? I see it as helping other NBA teams.. when Shaq isnt even half the player he was a few years ago they wont be able to move his contract and their team will be locked into mediocrity for years...

20. brentdapmp

brentdapmp Member

I will be very interested to see Shaq play out that 5th year of the contract. I think by that time he will be a huge body that just takes up room.