1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does it bother anyone else...........

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by codell, May 18, 2012.

?

Does it bother you that the Stros are celebrating #34 this weekend?

1. Yes, it bothers me

15 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. I'm indifferent

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. No, it doesn't both me

19 vote(s)
    48.7%
  1. codell

codell Contributing Member

....that Nolan Ryan is throwing out the first pitch and that they are giving away Nolan Ryan bobbleheads this weekend?

When I first head about this, I didn't think much of it. As my day has progressed, I find myself more and more irritated over it.

Don't get me wrong. I revere Nolan as much as the next person. The first Stros game my dad brought me to was a Ryan start against the Padres in 1981. I was only 7, but I remember it well.

What bothers me is, he is now the owner of a club that has been kicking our ass for a few years now and the owner of a club who appears to be our biggest rival for years to come. IOW, the Astros are actually promoting a local legend, but in a way, promoting the visiting team!!

If Ryan wasn't affiliated with a team right now, and just retired, I would have no issues. Next to #7 and #5, #34 is the most iconic Stro of all time. Celebrate him several times a year if you want. But just don't do it when the team he owns is in town to possibly give us an ass kicking.

2. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

yes it does. he owns the team i hate the most in the majors

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Yes, it bothers me some. Living in Austin, it really bothers me that he replaced an Astros affiliate with a Rangers farm club. I've stopped going to Round Rock games in protest.

1 person likes this.
  4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Thanks for the support.

Thought I was going to be alone on this. :eek:

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So have I. I was going to roughly 15-20 games per season before the switch. I haven't been back since. I might go when OKC comes in later in June. I'll be in full Astros gear, though, and rooting for the visitors.

6. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If I cared about the Rangers it would bother me but I don't so it doesn't. Nolan is a Houston icon. He just happens to own another team. Plus, it's the Astros fault that Nolan became affiliated with the Rangers anyway.

7. conquistador#11

i find it irritating also. It's just like bending over to selig or catering to outsiders, like playing sweet caroline to please bandwagon boston fans. Our baseball owners have no cojones. I would have left a horse's head on that mobster selig's bed. It i$ what it i$.

8. Rocketfan713

Rocketfan713 Member

LOL he got booed when they announced his name XD

9. 713

713 Member

when you say #34 i think of ONE man and thats Dream. not nolan ryan

10. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

He just happens to own our next division rival, and he campaigned hard for the 'Stros to switch leagues.

Nolan can suck the fattest bat in the Astros dugout, and I'll throw popcorn at him and laugh.

Houston icon, my ass.

DFW punk ass b*tch is more like it.

1 person likes this.
  11. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

I'm not too happy with it.

12. 713

713 Member

but, but hes on the H-E-B commericials...bahaha

13. dustin999

dustin999 Member

It bothers me so much that I'm seriously considering switching my allegiance to another major league team. I love the Astros, they've been my team forever. But at this point, it's a team I'm having a hard time identifying with. When they switch to the AL, I think that might be the final nail in the coffin for me.

I can't stand the fact that Nolan Ryan switched the RR Express to become a Rangers affiliate, taking the central Texas market with him. Do the Astros management not understand what a big deal that is?

I can't stand the fact that Nolan Ryan went into the hall as a Ranger, even though his best years were with the Astros (and don't quote no hitter b.s. and all that, Ryan was at his prime while he was an Astro).

I can't stand the fact that the Astros are moving to the AL, and have a hard time not putting some of that responsibility on Nolan.

I can't stand the fact that the Astros are giving out Nolan Ryan bobble head dolls.

I can't stand the fact that the Astros are letting Nolan Ryan throw out the first pitch.

I can't stand the fact that I go to an Astros game and have to see that lousy pos's jersey hanging from the rafters.

Seriously, to me this is like a messy divorce, and I'm so close to just tossing the entire Astros organization under the bus and finding another team to call my own. This entire fiasco is just too near and dear to my heart, and is intertwined with some of my greatest childhood memories of playing baseball and going to Astros games.

5 people like this.
  14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Repped for truth.

15. Nook

Nook Member

#1 Nolan Ryan's best years were not with the Astros, but the Angels.

#2 The Astros organization screwed him over not once, but twice. I cannot blame him for his association with Rangers.

#3 I agree it is bush league, basically the Astros said well we are the Rangers b****.

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Earl Campbell?

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Nolan Ryan:

“I grew up an Astros fan and I look at the Astros as a National League team, but I understand the desire to balance out the two leagues”

“It’d be good for baseball in Texas to have two teams in the same state vying for the division lead.”

“From our perspective I like having them in the same division because it gives us a team in our time zone…”

“If we can improve our situation, the Texas Rangers and I certainly would be open to it.”

Hey, let's all hold hands and celebrate a man who played a hand in ruining the Astros.

18. dreamshake97

dreamshake97 Member

i'm sure crane was just trying to be cordial to past greats that have been affiliated with the Stros is all..

i'm not saying it bothers me, but it was definitely a class move by crane.. Better than him acting like a 8 year old and talking crap to nolan or not giving him good seats at the game as a owner..

just remember it was our front office that dicked him over two different times.. it wasn't like he DIDN'T try to be apart of this franchise.. he wanted too…

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It doesn't bother me at all and I'm looking forward to the move to the AL.

20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

So, with Nolan Ryan running the show, maybe John Daniels is the GM here and the Astros would be similar to the Rangers now. Stupid stupid decisions by McLane to give the finger to Ryan and then sell the farm. At least the team is looking better though and not as bad as originally thought. But, just like Astros luck, there isn't a sure #1 pick this year.