1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does CP3 still have it in him to match Curry's production?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by igotwhipscollectingdust, Apr 30, 2018.

1. igotwhipscollectingdust

I keep reading Harden/CP3=Durant/Curry. Harden is certainly on par with Durant and Curry but do we believe that a 32 year old Paul still has it in him to match that level of production?

Despite some past injury concerns, CP3 hasn't showed signs of deterioration but it doesn't seem fair to expect an aging superstar to outplay two of the best players in the world in the primes of their respective careers. What are your expectations for CP3 against the Warriors?

Do you think he can average, say:

22-25 PPG
    7-10 Assists
    on low volume

2. Drogba

Drogba Member

3. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Steph is a better shooter, but CP3 is smarter and a better passer. We are deeper than them, but not sure how much that matters in the playoffs when rotations are shortened.

It's hard to compare 1 to 1. It is all about team play and staying focused. Eliminate mistakes. I am almost willing to bet that the team with the fewest turnovers, wins the series. I know .... I am putting myself out on a limb there.

Remlap likes this.
  4. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

CP3 doesn't really have to match Curry's production, IMO. That is how good Harden is capable of being. CP may have to drop 20+ in a couple game, but his play-making and getting others shots and defense will be more valuable. EG is the one that has to contribute more than he has this post-season.

#4 DreamShook, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  5. photojoe

photojoe Member

Good point. But I'd say that the team that scores more points, while limiting the points of the other team, will probably win the series.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sure he does, he's 32 not 38.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Are you from the future? Did we sweep Utah?

8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Any series against the Warriors won't be decided by five one-on-one matchups of the starters.

That being said, WHY DOES ANYONE HAVE THE RIGHT TO START A THREAD WITH HIS FIRST POST?!?

dkim1984, Deuce, Pizza_Da_Hut and 4 others like this.
  9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

What a loaded and stupid thread title.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Why so many Warriors threads when both teams are 1 game into the second round?

11. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

12. CCorn

CCorn Member

He can annoy the hell out of him

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I was thinking the exact the same thing lol

14. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Depends on how defense plays it. Rockets offense is a read and react scheme. If defense sends extra help then
    someone is open. The correct call is pass the ball; If CP3 gets one-on-one most of the game, then attack the rim. So, yes he can match Curry (hoping Curry won’t be allowed to get more than 30 points.....
    Warriors also run a read and react offensive scheme).

Take what the defense gives you..

15. igotwhipscollectingdust

Elaborate. This is a response to the premise that CP3/Harden=Curry/Durant.

16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

cp3 looked a lot quicker and more decisive in these highlights than he's looked most of the playoffs. maybe he's just coasting right now trying to avoid injury and waiting for GS?

17. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Beat the Jazz first for Christ sake

18. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

He can't turn it over 7 times like he did in Game 1.

His turnovers were completely foolish also. Flashy passes that were not at all smart.

19. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

Honestly it's not just about Curry. We're seeing that now. We've got to contain Klay, KD, and Curry. One of those three has to have a subpar night. It probably won't be KD (with due respect to Ariza and Luc, they aren't gonna stop him). EG, JH, and CP play decent D on Klay and Curry, and each has an occasional performance that doesn't meet their usual expectations.

Capela has to OWN Zaza and Javale, and PJ/RA have to shutdown Draymond. Can't slack off when Young or Iggy get in the game. Key to beating GSW is: (1) shutting down the 'other guys', (2) playing disciplined D and not doubling. If they score one on one, great, but cannot leave Klay, Curry, or KD open, (3) execute on offense, and (4) limit turnovers. A lot will have to go right for us to beat them. I'm not sure we'll do it, but I know we have a better chance than anyone else in the league. GSW v us will be the NBA Finals, and whoever gets in from the East won't stand a chance.

20. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Good point, but I’d say that the team that scores more points each game, irrespective of how much they limit the points of the other team, will win the series.

topfive and peleincubus like this.