1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone else hate Bill Walton?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by sonalikumar, Jan 5, 2003.

Tags:
  1. sonalikumar

sonalikumar Member

I ABSOLUTELY HATE Bill Walton's commentary?.. does anyone else?

2. Timing

Timing Member

Hey, we all love Bill Walton. People have disappeared for saying less about the great Bill Walton. We know where you live too so watch it kid.

3. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

At points his commentary can be annoying but i wouldnt mind meeting him and giving me some pointers on my game :D

4. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Throw it down big man, throw it down! :D

5. foodworld

foodworld Member

still learning how to say that in Mandarin? ;)

I don't like the commentators for nationally televised games. Sean Elliot is one exception though.

6. adrian

adrian Member

Bill Walton is a bright spot in an otherwise lame bunch of national basketball commentators. I'm so glad that on ESPN and ABC he's given time to share his wonderful analysis.

Adrian

7. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

I used to despise the guy, but his big dumb goof gimmick has really grown on me.

8. ewfd

ewfd Member

I hate him too.

I'd rather hear less colored insightful commentary then Walton's asskissing and blithering idiocy.

9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Sean Elliot is the biggest ASS on tv.

10. LA's #1 Rocket Fan

I loved the guy when he use to do commentary for the Clippers, he was extremely funny! Always saying jokes and making simple plays sound like spectacular moves, alot of the time he would just like to argue with Ralph, the other Clipper commentor that was very serious most of the time which also like to dispute with Walton on most every thing he had to say made it so much more enjoyable. For example after a easy layup Walton would say Wow did you see that, now that was Hall of Fame material, the most spectacular shot ever of this century, he is the man and Ralph would say are you kidding me that was hardly anything of sorts, please are you watching the same game. And they would go on and on argueing for mins at a time. Walton just makes things comedy and he's so witty and wild with his jokes but on national TV Walton is so tame, he seems to repeat everything over and over and it's like he's trying to act more serious. I miss him now watching the Clipper games or any game, everyone just seems so plain and boring. I diffinitely think Walton's a big time Rocket fan though. Every game he's in regardless of who's playing he always seems to get in Yao Ming as a one of a kind special player which is cool.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The only thing that bothered me was he used to berate Hakeem sometimes. For example when the Rockets lost against the Sonics in the playoffs one year he implied that Hakeem should have played better and it is his play was not good enough. When he really was playing great.

There are other examples.

Actually I would like to hear some quotes if anyone remebers any that Walton said during the 90 playoff years.

12. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

i love em. he gave hakeem so much respect... and was giving yao respect from the beggining

13. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

That was the worst post in the entire HISTORY of the clutchcity.net BBS! :D

14. drapg

drapg Member

I dislike Walton as well. I prefer my national commentators to be unbiased, which Walton definitely is not. He's nauseatingly one sided on many occasions.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I used to hate Bill Walton until I realized that his hyperbolic statements and goofy comments are more for entertainment value versus trying to be serious. With that in mind I find his analysis a nice blend of comedy and insight, especially from a "big mans" perspective. I don't really have a problem with him.

Sean Elliott has been solid this year on ESPN. He was a nice find for them. He is passionate about the game and has great analysis. Sometimes he is a bit afraid to criticize but being new I can see that. He will overcome that eventually.

The announcing team I am not a big fan of is Danny Ainge and John Thompson. Kevin Harlan does a great job on that team as the play by play guy but the Ainge/Thompson color guys just don't do it for me.

Chris

16. droxford

droxford Member

Can't stand his announcing. Wish he would go away.

-- droxford

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

he did not show Hakeem respect on certain occasions i remeber...:confused:

18. SLA

SLA Member

Bill Walton loves Yao Ming and the Rockets. Therefore, I have no problem with him. He is much better than TOM TOLBERT!

19. Scott Carefoot

Scott Carefoot New Member

I'm with you on Tom Tolbert. Somebody needs to punch that guy.

Bill Walton = over the top but entertaining and often hilarious

Tom Tolbert = over the top but extremely annoying and excruciatingly unfunny

20. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

tom tolbert looks like matt gieger. and doesnt know basketball