1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do You Want Guns to be Illegal?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rockets1616, May 3, 2014.

Tags:
?

Guns legal or not legal

1. Guns are legal!

75 vote(s)
    73.5%
  2. Guns are illegal!

27 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Yes or no, and give reasoning. I'd like to have an intelligent discussion, if you're gonna be an idiot, don't post.

2. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

You already failed your own thread.

1 person likes this.
  3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I own guns, and would like them to be legal. I do want additional restrictions on them, though I don't pretend that limited restrictions will solve the vast majority of gun violence.

I'm also as liberal as anybody.

4. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Nice one man! You're awesome.

5. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I like my guns.

I firmly believe it is my natural and Constitutionally-protected right to own them.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You're asking for a black and white answer to a question where the answers are mostly gray.

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You should have started the thread with your opinion on your topic.

8. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Ok. I believe guns should be legal. I believe we have the right to self defense, and most all of the gun owners in America are law abiding citizens. The vast majority of gun deaths in the U.S are from gang killings, which skew the overall stats that gun control supporters use. Banning guns would effectively strip the law abiding citizens of their means of self defense and keep the criminals armed. Criminals by definition don't follow laws, so to act like they would turn in their guns amongst a ban is laughably idiotic.

I do however support increased background checks. Mandatory background checks on any gun purchase nationwide. If you are a felon, forget it, you aren't owning a gun legally.

Those are my opinions on the subject. I truly believe we don't have enough care available for the mentally ill in this country and that is the real problem. Stripping the vast majority of gun owners who are law abiding citizens of their rights to self defense just doesn't seem like its tackling the real issue in this country.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Owning a gun doesn't stop protect you from gang violence.

10. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Stopping you from gang violence? No
    However I am sure there are plenty of innocent people who would have liked to have a gun when they were a victim of gang violence.

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Yes, I'm sure people murdered by gangs wish they'd had a gun so that after they'd been shot and killed they could return fire.

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Nope, would never own them myself; but no problem with guns. Most people are not disposed towards murder irrespective of their gun ownership, that's why you can stand at a busy intersection without fear of being pushed into traffic.

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Guns should be legal for law abiding citizens. I do wish handguns weren't so easy to get and would have no problems requiring all handgun owners to get a license to own/buy one. Most gun crimes in this country are committed with hand guns, but most people talk about banning "assault" rifles which aren't use in crimes other than a few very high profile incidents.

14. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

Ok first of all, gangs kill each other, not random civilians. Yet to say that having a gun doesn't protect you against any random criminal i.e. home robbers is completely idiotic.

15. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

This statement is so r****ded I don't even know where to begin. Please tell me you're joking...

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

ummm. wrong.

try again

17. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really wanted to post in this thread and have a meaningful discussion but I am an idiot so I can't. I am sad.

18. Rockets1616

Rockets1616 Member

....thats really your argument "ummm. wrong"

You just sound foolish when you post something like that. If you'd like to make an argument, make one. Otherwise quit embarrassing yourself.

19. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I think guns should be illegal. Then again, I come from a country where they are, and I live in a country where even carrying knives is severely restricted. The basic reason is that guns are extremely dangerous weapons, and the fact that somebody I know can be harmed due to other's negligence is appalling to me (e.g. child related gun deaths). I accept that a place like USA will never ban guns outright, since they are far too prolific, however I don't see why gun ownership cannot be limited, or require heavy background checks. However, if you could start a clean slate with a new country, then for that country, I would definitely ban guns.

20. calcium

calcium Member

Why would someone want to own an assault rifle?

In case the English invade again? :)

But seriously, why would someone want to?