1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you trust Dallas Keuchel?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Snow Villiers, Jun 5, 2018.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Or they are making their own. Or it could be that his execution is better 2nd time around.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He starts out spotty. Starts to get a feel of things and the strike zone. The he tires.

It can certainly be broken down a number of ways. He’s just an inconsistent pitcher. Game to game. Inning to inning.

4. Buck Turgidson

That's the curriculum vitae of a 5th starter.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yep.... except they often dont’ get to the tired out phase as they’re usually not left to work themselves out of it.

What about the pitcher that starts out well... but gets less effective with more trips through the order? A #3? #4? Was basically Charlie Morton last year... but not so much this year.

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

88 mph fastball he used to throw 91-92 regularly, that shoulder injury must have taken away some of his strength

7. Buck Turgidson

It was McHugh 2 years ago who could not get out of the 1st without damage, we were all joking about simulated innings and whatnot.

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's hard to trust a guy who makes false promises. I'm still waiting for him to shave off that beard for charity as he promised to if we won the World Series. So, if he isn't doing as well this year just blame it on the beard. Personally, I'd love to see all our hillbilly mountain men looking guys shave off the beards.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. CinematicFusion

It’s going to be high scoring game today. Bats need to be ready.
    I expect Indians will have 4 runs by the 7th inning. They average over 5 runs at home.

But we average over 5 runs on the road.
    We win 7-5 and advance.

11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That is about my take, for 2018 DK anyway. For todays game, the 1st inning will be telling. If DK can get through it unscathed, then we got a good chance to clinch this series.

12. Nook

Nook Member

A lot of respect for Keuchel. He wasn't a top draft pick and never received much attention from the scouting community. He came up when the Astros were terrible, he struggled and slowly figured out how to get big leaguers out. He was a Cy Young winner and gave a little bit of hope and legitimacy when the Astros didn't have much. He pitched well and took the ball deep into games for awhile. He is a leader, and stepped up and was vocal when he needed to (last trade deadline).

I hope he gets $100,000,000 from someone else and I wish him well against everyone except the Astros.

Lets hope he is sharp tonight and we get the win.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

when you have guys like JV and Cole getting all the recognition and attention, which forces mostly the casual follower to think DK is now some bad pitcher. All these other "top" pitchers in the playoffs and they can't even make it past 6-9 outs. Hou is just fine with DK on the mound.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As much as I crapped on him, especially at the start of the season, I have to give credit that he was able to pitch the entire season with fairly decent enough numbers.

He certainly deserves the ball here in game 3.

Granted, as soon as he starts being afraid or unable to throw strikes, or starts giving up hits that he blames everything but himself on... I'll be back to crapping on him.

kaleidosky likes this.
  15. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

I have dreams of vintage Keuchel showing up in the playoffs for one last run. Gets him paid (by someone else), reminds everyone why he won the CY, and leaves us with the best memories possible of his Astros career. That all starts today

DoitDickau and RunninRaven like this.
  16. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

We don’t even need that DK. Just need a solid DK who will throw a quality start or a start really close to one.

Vintage DK combined with 2018 JV and cole might be unfair to the rest of baseball...

17. Buck Turgidson

I hope Luhnow's shifts are all triangulated and vectored properly and the IF is very busy today.

RunninRaven likes this.
  18. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

Agreed on the first inning. DK likes to hit the lower outside corner against right handed hitters. If the ump isn't calling that spot a strike (or worse yet, if DK isn't hitting his spot), then DK will be in for a long day. Or, depending on how you look at it, it might be a short day for him.

19. Buck Turgidson

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

No Worries likes this.
  20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

With your kids' lives.